Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Battery Zapper worth the money? >

Battery Zapper worth the money?

Battery Zapper worth the money?

Old 07-26-2004, 11:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by dragoneuh
More time to devote to, and more money to spend.......As i go deeper and deeper into this hobby.

I remember when it so simple, charge it and run it, charge it and run it.
It was FUN then.....
well things are getting more expensive then last time and i believe it is best to spend abit more in maintainance rather then replacement...
Old 07-27-2004, 12:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi guys

I have an Integy DCX3300 zapper which i find it usefull.I zapped my friend's dead 3000 mah packs which they had high charging voltages exceeding 10 volts and they were maintained well and still working and training with them.
Joe B thanks for your usefull information and testing on packs which i use to do too and we use to spend a lot of money when you go on testing and experimenting.Joe B, this year i will be using 3300 packs for racing and i will experiment some battery zapping maintenance on them.I use to zero the pack and zapp it then leave it for 3 days and charge them(on 3000).Do you do the same on 3300mah packs?and what voltages do you use on zapping 3300mah?

Henry
Old 07-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Tech Regular

More info that you can find out about the XAPPER here:

http://integy.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/fo...ries&number=12
Old 07-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Tech Initiate

It's worth the money if you gather a few racing buddies and get one for the team, price would go down and it would really be worth the cash you spent I will also keep in mind a magnet zapper, it keeps your magnets charged up as well!
Old 07-29-2004, 04:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bernardlee.....yes deadshorting a pack can still prove usefull without maintenence zapping..(one really has nothing to do with the other)...at times, Iv'e left gp3300 packs deadshorted for "months" with out any problems....but as with "any" packs that have been sitting for that length of time ...it "might" be benificial to cycle them a couple times to get them up to speed..(Just cycle the pack once, and see if the numbers are just as good as always, if not, you know it needs more)....Hey Speed1.....I've Have had the best luck staying pretty close with the volt zapping recomendations on the DCX3300, which as you know is about 90volts for brand new gp3300's, and 80volts for 3 month old gp3300's...and so on as listed on the unit...... I also have the battery down to zero, and usually "Just"previously deadshorted before the zapping..then(like you) I let em' sit for about 72 hours.....
Old 07-29-2004, 05:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

depends how old your packs are, once the cells are old chuck them or sell them. i used the integy zipp zapper dcx3300, noticed no difference in laptimes or overall runtime, just look after your cells and use a eagle or novak equaliser
Old 07-29-2004, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

this was with 12month old packs and i still won races with them
Old 07-29-2004, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

For myself ,I think I'll continue to trust the "slight" but noticable increases in adverage voltage across the discharge cycle and "most importantly" the considerably lower internal resistance number's Im showing on my GFX ... not to mention what "I" can feel on the track after maintenence zapping...there are way too many variables when you strictly go off of lap times and cell capacity...the experiments that would have to be conducted to show accurate results in this way would have to be virtually impossible to duplicate.....Identical new tires...Identical track conditions(wind factor)....Identical motor(proven on dyno)....Identical driving(not even possible) and Identical charged battery(same battery can varry in performance from minute to minute, and charge to charge)...this is why when your dealing with "slight" battery differences like milli volts, and internal resistances, people have no choice but to rely on the numbers from a GFX or turbomatcher or similar device, this way you know 100% for sure, with "almost" no other variables getting in the way............At times I've won races and turned some faster laptimes with undoubtably way worse packs than my best......but this really dosn't mean anything much.............
Old 07-29-2004, 05:47 AM
Tech Master

shows how much difference it makes. how old are the packs you have been maintenance zapping?
Old 07-29-2004, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

GP3300's Packs...all ages and versions.......mostly my experimentation is with from about a year old 1.178 packs, to a half dozen mostly new 1.182's and 1.183's...Im surprised you seem to be having trouble believing there are benifits to maintenence zapping.......
Old 07-29-2004, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

to each his own
Old 09-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

question: when zapping cells, is it normal for it to create a loud spark and small amount of smoke? I am using the Integy DCX3300 Xip Xapper. The spark happens everytime I press the blue "fire button"...and yes I have the polarity correct. Thanks
Old 09-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

You have too much airgap from the contact to the battery surface. When you have a really good contact, you will not have that pop and snap.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Sanyo

i have a 3000nimh Sanyo that havent been run for 5 months.
i left the pack empty on a discharger tray.

But after that, try to charge it, and the charge CDC V6 show error on the sanyo.

Does this mean the batt is dead? should i Zapp em all?