Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 06:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie Question

Ok just getting back into R/C racing from about a ten year off period and everything has changed. Gone are the days of the straight axle oval cars I use to run down in Florida.

Im getting to buy a new chassis and cannot decide which way to go. Should I go with the Tamiya TRF 415 or the Yokomo MR-4TC SD CGM? You guys have the real time experience with these diffrent chassis so please speak out and let me know.

Also if there is anything better please make a suggestion. Keeping in mind that money is really no object within reason.

Electronics, Controlers etc... give me a laundry list of what you feel is a good combo.

Thanks for the help,

Napalm
Old 07-23-2004, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Napalm,

I noticed you're from B'ham...I live in Huntsville so maybe I'll see you at a race soon.

Here's some items I would go with:

Car: Xray Factory Team Kit
Radio: Either an Airtronics M8 or a KO Helios
Speed Controller: Novak GT7 or LRP Quantum 2
Servo: Airtronics S94758Z
Charger: Competition Electronics GFX
Batteries: Promatch GP 3300's

Really any of the top companies are going to be fine for these items, this just happens to be what I use and I'm very happy with it. One thing to keep in mind about the Tamiya and the Yok car is that there's very little parts support for either car in our area. The Xray, TC3, and Losi XXX are what most people run and they all have good parts support.

Are you going to run the A-Train Magic City Classic July 31st?
Old 07-23-2004, 06:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey thanks for the info Ozwald, Im in the Huntsville area all of the time my wifes parnets live there. Where do you all race in Huntsville? The only place here in B'ham that I know of is a local Hobby shop sets up a road course in the parking lot. Im sure we will see each other in the future.

Napalm
Old 07-23-2004, 06:38 AM
Tech Adept

Yes, that's Oak Mountain Hobbies in B'ham that sets up the road course. They are great guys over there.

We have a club here in Huntsville and we race on a couple of Tennis courts in Madison. The city of Madison lets us use them since there no longer used for tennis. We leave the track down all the time so you can come practice if you're up this way. Check out our web site for some more info www.rc3racing.com
Old 07-23-2004, 06:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

personally i like the xxx-s g+. i've had a tamiya evo III,have a tamiya 414m2 and a hpi pro 2 but like my xxx-s better. im able to get faster lap times with the losi than I am with any other car so far.

plus since you'll be on a parking lot racing the enclosed drive train is always a plus. and for a radio i like my JR XS3, you cant beat synthesized........
Old 07-23-2004, 06:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Yeah I will be over there Saturday to watch some of the action at Oak Mountain. Im really pumped about racing these things again.

Currently Im active with Online Racing here is a url to my website.Team North American Motorsports

Come take a visit.

Napalm
Old 07-23-2004, 06:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Stumper looking up all of that info right now!
Old 07-23-2004, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

Cool,

I use to run a lot of Nascar 4 online a few years back....actually that's what got me back into RC after a long layoff.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hey Napalm - come on out Saturday. I live in B'ham and will be at Oak Mtn tomorrow. Would love to meet any other newbies - There are some fantastic guys out there. I just started running a couple of months ago and they have been fantastic.
Ozwald Bates, Promatchrcr, & ChillWill from this board are usually there too - probably others that I have missed or forgotten their board names.

Look us up tomorrow and say hello - I don't know how to describe the other guy's cars so you can recognize them, but mine does kind of stand out since it is one of only two NASCAR themed cars that is usually there. (notice the Avatar)

Drop me a note sometime...

As for suggestions, here is my setup:
Team Losi XXX-S -- pretty happy with it
Futaba T3PDF -- not bad, wish I could upgrade it though
Hitec Rx -- no complaints at all
Novak Cyclone ESC -- again, no complaints
Duratrax Digital Pirannah Charger -- cheap, but decent
ProMatch batteries -- the only way to go

You will notice some of my stuff is a little on the "less expensive" side - it is all I can afford for now.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

IMO you cant go wrong with Tamiya. I have owned Losi, Associated and Tamiya cars and always go back to Tamiya. The parts quality is superb, the instructions are great and the cars are extremely tuneable. Tamiya currently offer the belt driven TRF415 or the shaft driven TB Evo IV. I own a TB Evo IV and have owned a TRF414M WCR and I can tell you that you won't regret going with either a belt or shaft driven Tamiya car. The only downside is the cost but if you want quality you have to pay for it. Other cars I would look at would be the Xray and Pro 4 and I have heard good things about the XXX-S G+. At the end of the day though make sure you get something which you can get parts for.

Good Luck
Old 07-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys I really appriciate the help I believe Ive made my decison on a

Evolution IV

Electronics I always had real good success with NOVAK in the past and Im still trying to decide on the controller.

Keep the ideas coming!
Old 07-23-2004, 10:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Any suggestion on chargers, power supplies, battery packs... do they still sale the equipment to match your own cells?

Sorry for all of the questions there will be more to come.

Last edited by Napalm; 07-23-2004 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

I agree with your decision on Novak...never got a bad product from them

I'd get an Integy (www.integy.com) charger....They're all good, just pick your price range and pick the charge with the most features within it. They are good for the money and simple to use

Most Integy's don't need a power supply

If you haven't decided on a radio, Check out the JR XS3 or the XS3 PRO

I run cheap batteries....cheapbatterypacks.com...GP 3300's (the hot cell) @ $5 a piece.

I used to race Nascar Online....That was my main hobby from when I was 6y/o (back in TEN) up til a few years ago (Nascar Heat) My connection won't keep up with today's games (28k dial-up is the best you can get in my immediate area under $80/month)
Old 07-23-2004, 11:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Napalm
Thanks guys I really appriciate the help I believe Ive made my decison on a Evolution IV

Electronics I always had real good success with NOVAK in the past and Im still trying to decide on the controller.

Keep the ideas coming!
i would pick the 415 over the evo.......... I had the EVO III and ended up selling it due to the front one-way gear problem. I highly doubt the fixed it the problem. I did however buy a 414 shortly after selling the Evo and think its a far better choice.So if your stuck on tamiya get the 415.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Napalm

Keep the ideas coming!
For a charger I'd say the LRP competition(but you'll need a power supply). Or you could go with integy chargers which are great, but you don't get any motor features(which is a pain). For a controller go to your local hobby shop and feel a few high end transmitters, buy the one that you like the best.

From what I've read about the Evolution IV it's sounds like a wicked car, as long as you can get parts, go for it.

For batteries, fukuyama, promatch, surge, hurricane the list goes on. Alot of them support Rctech through the advertising banners. Buy from the smaller matchers and you get great deals. Go with matched 3300GP cells, anything else is a waste of money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.