R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Building a spool ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/45556-building-spool.html)

acutts 07-20-2004 12:37 AM

Building a spool ?

I am keen to try a spool in my Pro4 .... anyone got any ideas on the best way to do this? What parts of the standard diff would I need to leave in? I assume take the bearings out and also the diff balls? What about the diff thust balls etc?

Has anyone any experience of building a spool or should I just tighten a standard diff up as tight as possible ..?

I find it interesting that a spool seems to be hyped so much and yet hardly any of the major manufacturers make one?

Any help and advice appreciated
Scott

fatdoggy 07-20-2004 12:52 AM

You could make a spool buy locking up a front one-way(JB Weld). Not sure how long it would last though. Just lock up with the diff screw as much as possible first to see if you like it, if you don't you'll only be out a diff rebuild kit. Also be careful not to go too crazy, I've snapped diff screws in the past while locking up ball diff's. :lol:

jrrc 07-20-2004 01:26 AM

Get the losi spool pads for the xxx-s and follow the instructions. The pads are just sandpaper cut to the size of the diff rings and you leave out the diff balls. Worked great at the nats.

414play 07-20-2004 04:00 AM

remove balls, replace diff rings with rubber tap washers and tighten diff bolt.

TimPotter 07-20-2004 05:48 AM

I build a spool the same way most Schumacher drivers do it. Take all the balls out of the diff, glue a headercard to one side of the diff rings, and trim it up. Re-assemble the diff ( no balls) with the card side of the diff rings pointed in. Tighten down.

What this does is lock the diff, up, but will allow it to bust loose if you have a big impact on power. ( will possible save outdrives and such)

SalvadoriRacing 07-20-2004 09:22 AM

TIM POTTER

hi tim.....

i'm brazilian and I don't know what is a heardercard....I didn't find anything like this on the dictionary.....:lol:

Please can you explain me what's a heardercard because I would love switching my diff to spool....:nod:

kewdawg 07-20-2004 09:55 AM

Re: TIM POTTER

Originally posted by SalvadoriRacing
hi tim.....

i'm brazilian and I don't know what is a heardercard....I didn't find anything like this on the dictionary.....:lol:

Please can you explain me what's a heardercard because I would love switching my diff to spool....:nod:

A header card is the cardboard label thats stapled to a parts bag... you know, like when you buy new parts and they come in a plastic bag with a cardboard cover at the top of the it. That's a header card.

kewdawg 07-20-2004 09:56 AM

Originally posted by 414play
remove balls, replace diff rings with rubber tap washers and tighten diff bolt.
What are rubber tap washers?

kewdawg 07-20-2004 09:57 AM

Originally posted by jrrc
Get the losi spool pads for the xxx-s and follow the instructions. The pads are just sandpaper cut to the size of the diff rings and you leave out the diff balls. Worked great at the nats.
Do you keep the diff spring in the assembly?

SalvadoriRacing 07-20-2004 09:59 AM

GOT IT.......

thanks!

andsetinn 07-22-2004 02:12 AM

Originally posted by kewdawg
What are rubber tap washers?
Ignore the "tap" then you get "rubber washers". Tap in this case is the thingie on your sink that water comes out of. "Rubber Tap Washers" should be available in nearest hardware store.

acutts 07-22-2004 04:39 AM

Thanks for all the info guys .... I built my spool. I ended up just taking all the diff balls out .. using two washers and then tightening up the diff as much as I could. I tested it yesterday and it was awesome round my home track.... I can't believe I have never tried one before. I will use this for now until the HPI version is released. (I have it on good authority that they are working on this and it will be released shortly)

:D

kewdawg 07-22-2004 09:43 AM

Originally posted by andsetinn
Ignore the "tap" then you get "rubber washers". Tap in this case is the thingie on your sink that water comes out of. "Rubber Tap Washers" should be available in nearest hardware store.
:lol: Yeah, I kinda' thought, that was the case. Thanks!

sportracer 07-22-2004 06:51 PM

you take the diff balls and the rings otu use the "haedercard" in place of the diff rings and reassembly do you still use the thrust ball and washer and the spring ?

acutts 07-22-2004 11:20 PM

Originally posted by sportracer
you take the diff balls and the rings otu use the "haedercard" in place of the diff rings and reassembly do you still use the thrust ball and washer and the spring ?
Only thing you lose is the diff balls. I actually used the diff rings ... just turned them round and locked up the diff ... works great until the HPI version comes out ..:nod: