charging lipo

Old 02-18-2020, 08:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default charging lipo

What settings should I use for charging my reedy 5800 lipo? It's a Reedy Zappers HV 2S 80C 7.6/5800mAH

My charger has an amp and voltage / 2s setting. It does balance, storage, fast, etc.

What is the process for storing and charging? Does it balance while doing storage? I just want to make sure I do it right

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Are you racing? Many tracks have a limit of 8.4V. If so, balance charge it on Lipo mode. You can choose a current range anywhere from one times the capacity at 5.8A... or higher. Higher is harder on the batteries but can give more punch.

If your track doesn't have a voltage limit you could charge on LiHV mode.

Use the LiHV storage mode, which should also balance the battery.

What charger do you have? Most chargers have less discharge ability compared with their charging ability, so if you run the battery in the car to just below the storage voltage, it will be much faster for the charger to charge it up to storage voltage than it would be to bring it down to storage voltage from a higher voltage.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mushroomed
Are you racing? Many tracks have a limit of 8.4V. If so, balance charge it on Lipo mode. You can choose a current range anywhere from one times the capacity at 5.8A... or higher. Higher is harder on the batteries but can give more punch.

If your track doesn't have a voltage limit you could charge on LiHV mode.

Use the LiHV storage mode, which should also balance the battery.

What charger do you have? Most chargers have less discharge ability compared with their charging ability, so if you run the battery in the car to just below the storage voltage, it will be much faster for the charger to charge it up to storage voltage than it would be to bring it down to storage voltage from a higher voltage.
Reedy 1216c2 and it will be used in a mod buggy.

It defaults to 2.0A and the voltage says 7.4V
Old 02-18-2020, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It looks like your charger may not have a LiHV mode. This is not a big deal, but the storage voltage will be slightly lower than ideal.

You can charge and use storage in the LiPO mode. You'd need to charge in this mode anyhow to keep the voltage legal for most race rules (although in mod buggy it may depend on your local rules).
Old 02-18-2020, 09:18 PM
Tech Adept

I just checked and it has LiHV mode.

What is typically the ideal amperage to charge at? Higher for more punch?
Old 02-18-2020, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A very conservative setting would be 1C (so for a 5800 mAh battery it would be 5.8A). I usually go for 2C pretty much all the time now.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I race with only 1 pack per class and I charge all my packs at 40A irrespective to capacity because that is the max limit my charger can handle and this typically gets my packs charged in roughly 8-10 minutes. Many modern HV packs are designed to be able to handle this abuse, though it will reduce the lifespan of the pack. I can't speak for Reedy Zappers personally, but I know of many racers in my area who also charge these packs at 40A without issue. Most of the budget brand packs I have used in the past would tend to last around 6 months when charged at 20A which was the limit of the charger I had at that time. I am running Trinity White Carbon packs now and they last over a year (without significant loss of IR) when regularly charged at 40A.

If you do not have an IR meter to check the health of your cells, then I wouldn't recommend charging above 1C:
Which charger is the best?
Old 02-23-2020, 03:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Note that HV batteries should not be left at 100% capacity any longer than needed prior to racing. I just bought some HV batts from ProMatch and the instructions noted this.
"the technology that makes HV packs so powerful also makes it important to care for the batteries properly."
-Always change using LV mode.
-Always balance charge
-Never charge more than a few hours prior to use.
-Always put into storage mode (3.8v per cell) with-in 2 hours after use.
-Lipo cut-off set at 3.5v
-Max charge rate of 3c