Community
Wiki Posts
Search

kit for my Sidewinder Sport + 5700 kV

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking kit for my Sidewinder Sport + 5700 kV

i use to have nitro offroad cars and now i have a MOA crawler and i want to get a nice fast electric touring car. i have a Sidewinder Sport esc and a 5700 kV for it and im torn on what kit to go with. im leaning hard towards the TOP photon because of the good things i have heard but i have also heard the shocks are no good and quite a bit of shimming is needed in the build. what do you guys think i should go with with that motor and esc? im trying to keep the price for the kit under 400. as far as shaft or belt what do you think is better with my motor? i also like the fact that the belt drive looks good displayed even if i dont get to use it a lot because i like the technicality of the internals thanks guys
Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Rookie

No sugestions??? I'm thinking now of shaft drive but I want a kit that I won't have t upgrade, Such a thing? Any info on the mi1 ?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Photon is a good car. I don't think it requires a ton of shimming. It's good to shim the shock pistons, but that's not really a big deal to do. The new shocks included in the latest version of the kit have delrin shaft guides and are supposed to be very smooth. I just have the original shocks currently, but I don't have any major issues with them. It seems every kit has a few quirks you need to be aware of before building. I don't think the Photon is any worse than many of the other high end TCs in this regard.

I have basically the same motor and ESC (the overpriced hpi branded versions of both), but I don't use that set in my Photon. The sidewinder might fit if you put the receiver on top of your steering servo. I use a Tekin RS Pro in my Photon and even with that small an ESC it's a fairly snug fit with the rx flat on the chassis. This would be the case with most TCs though. Not a ton of room for everything.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Tech Rookie

So, i decided to go with the Kyosho TF-5. the deciding factor was that im probably not going to get to track it as much as i want, or as much as i would to take advantage of a car like the proton, but i still want performance. any tips with the build of this car or any suggestions are much appreciated!

ohh and i went with a S9452 for my steering servo