Wiki Posts
Search

BEST RCGT BODY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)
Default BEST RCGT BODY?

What's the best handling body for RCGT? Regardless of looks, just interested in a over-all balanced body.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

best handling and overall dont mix. you are asking two different questions.

Like for example, mazda speed 6 is balanced, ltcr has more steering than speed6

more steering=more edges/sharp contours towards the front.
more balanced=smooth front and rear.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Take a look at the popular TCS series bodies... NSX, MRS, these low flat center A-frame type bodies seem to do well in the "realistic" body classes. From early 90's racing it would suggest that the DTM Mercedes, Audi, and BMW bodies would also work well.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

seems like something a miss, here with the reason for asking...I run the RCGT bodies with regular TC racers cause I like the different bodies....

but anyway...Ive run several, and most have a similar feel...but to pick the best one for racing, I would go with the HPI Vettes...very close to some WGT bodies...
Old 11-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If you can still find the 200mm Protoform Corvette, not the WGT body, that works great. The HPI RX7 and NSX work as well.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

As far as 190mm RCGT bodies go non handle better than the 2007 NSX by Tamiya.

200mm The nod goes to the now discontinued Kyosho Vauxhall VXR (Chevy Cobalt)
Attached Thumbnails BEST RCGT BODY?-rcgt-nsx-011.jpg   BEST RCGT BODY?-rcgt-5309.jpg  
Old 11-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I like the RX8.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I guess the main factor is really how fast you'll be going.
The faster the combo, the more noticeable change from a "blob" tc body.

I swapped from an LTC-R , to a Tamiya Esso Supra on friday night.
Handling was good, with very little change to the stability of the car. Maybe a whisker of oversteer one tight corner of the track, but I hadn't changed a single thing on the car. This is running a 21.5 non timed.

Open 17.5 would be a completely different proposition I would assume.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

The Tamiya Xanavi GT-R works great and has pretty good balance. The Tamiya NSX would be my first choice though BUT it's use is pretty much limited to Tamiya IFS cars.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

Originally Posted by swarb

Sorry Someone brought to my attention today that RCGT is for entry level drivers so the body doesn't matter. We have a great turn-out for RCGT where I race. Such a good turn-out that I borrowed a car to run on race day. I took 1st place but it is a totally different driving style compared to Sedan. I enjoyed myself.

What I meant by best handling is a neutral body because you are rite ex: if I want more steering I can run the LTC-R, the Mazda Speed 6 has a little less steering and the Mazda 6 is more neutral but that is for Touring Sedan not RCGT. I would like to try RCGT 13.5 Spec but there isn't such a class. If there was I think my choice of body would be the BMW 3 series.
Thanks guys
Old 11-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think the new top dog will be the Honda HSV10 from Tamiya when it comes out

Old 11-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by swarb

Good point, except neither of those are legal in RCGT, so the reference is pretty much irrelevant to the conversation. I've seen guys win in RCGT with all sorts of bodys. I had friends win with BMW's, a pair of Lexus ISF, I won with a R-34 Skyline, hell I've even seen a dude win with a HPI Beetle body. Pick what you like best, and let the chassis do most of the work.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I run hpi nsx, I cant fit any ifs type bodies under my front shock tower unless I cut the body to make room.

But from what I have noticed, most run nsx body, some ebro 350r's (both which are now banned by tcs because thats all anyone ran). And most bodies are "good enough" just need some leading edges/angles for steering, and low enough for some speed. I've see most of the competitive people change out the stock wings for something more protoform'ish.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It's pretty simple, look for a decent front splitter, not too long, and a smaller greenhouse or cab. Also, if the body is shorter behind the rear wheels, it will rotate harder. The HPI Saleen S7 is pretty good, but long. This can actually be an advantage on big outdoor tracks. The HPI Honda S2000 is pretty popular locally on carpet tracks, since it's short. The HPI Lotus works pretty good as well, big splitter, fairly short, good wing. There's a lot of stuff that works, just stay away from total brick bodies. I found an old Protoform BMW 318 that pushes like a dump truck, but looks awesome I also came across an old Frewer Ferrari F50 that is awesome-big ass wing, decent splitter, small cab...

This is only a theory, but 200mm may be better due to more surface area...???
Old 11-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
It's pretty simple, look for a decent front splitter, not too long, and a smaller greenhouse or cab. Also, if the body is shorter behind the rear wheels, it will rotate harder. The HPI Saleen S7 is pretty good, but long. This can actually be an advantage on big outdoor tracks. The HPI Honda S2000 is pretty popular locally on carpet tracks, since it's short. The HPI Lotus works pretty good as well, big splitter, fairly short, good wing. There's a lot of stuff that works, just stay away from total brick bodies. I found an old Protoform BMW 318 that pushes like a dump truck, but looks awesome I also came across an old Frewer Ferrari F50 that is awesome-big ass wing, decent splitter, small cab...

This is only a theory, but 200mm may be better due to more surface area...???
Good points there. One thing that will seperate a top level driver from a sportsman is the collection of bodies. My home outdoor track has lots of options and we change the lay out every week. When you travel, show up at the track and have one ready for an open, one for a technical, and one more balanced.

Especially when you get out from under the TC body blobs, the more realistic bodies all have their own little tweaks that make them (not best or worst) but more approptriate for a given track/tire/chassis/motor class combo. Use body characteristics for what they are, another tuning tool.

If there was any universal "Best" it's a sure bet it would be banned, since, like VTA, that's right outside the spirit and intent of the rules. If you're track lay out doesn't change, then the "Best" will all depend on your chassis, set up, and driving style.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.