Ball Diffs

Old 11-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default Ball Diffs

I am sure there is a thread somewhere on this topic....so indulge me a little. I am fairly new to rc and messing with ball diffs and looking for any tips and info about rebuilding one and getting it smooth. I have sanded and polished until I have blisters on my fingers, and still have a rough feeling diff. I am just not at all happy with it. Do I need to replace parts? If so, what parts? The diff is not that old and all the parts look to be in good shape.

I just don't think for me to refreshen my diff should be this hard, and I shouldn't have to replace a bunch of parts either considering the amount of races on this diff.

Car: Xray 09
Parts: 100% stock
My current process: Disassemble, clean parts, sand all washers (thrust too) Sand first with 600, then 1000, then 2000 (all wet), re-clean and assemble with AE diff lube on balls and Hudy black on thrust washers.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Check your thrustbearing. If the discs and balls are new it's most likely the thrustbearing that is at fault...
Old 11-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Good day!

Here are some tips.

http://markpayneblog.blogspot.com/20...erentials.html
Old 11-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

its all about the lube u use in the diff I have gone thru the whole lot with this wonderful world of rc and all the greases they make are crap sorry...

I have turned any diff into as smooth as new with the grease I use here in australia and I have never turned back and that was 12 to 13 years ago.

I would love to tell everyone what it is but then I would be out of business. I worked hard and hours upon hours of testing to find what works and I just cant give it away just like that.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjfo80
its all about the lube u use in the diff I have gone thru the whole lot with this wonderful world of rc and all the greases they make are crap sorry...

I have turned any diff into as smooth as new with the grease I use here in australia and I have never turned back and that was 12 to 13 years ago.

I would love to tell everyone what it is but then I would be out of business. I worked hard and hours upon hours of testing to find what works and I just cant give it away just like that.
I have to comment....

I though the idea of the forums was to inform and assist each other, not to say "I know how to do it but I can't tell you". Whats with that?
Old 11-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Why did you even bother posting such an utterly useless comment?

It's a good thing Marc Reinhard or Atsushi Hara don't go up against you and your magical diff lube made from melted rainbows and the ground up horns of golden unicorns...or else they'd be out of business.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:43 PM
ark
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Schumacher diff lube is my guess. Everybody in Mod uses it and yes I have tried many and keep going back to it
Old 11-12-2010, 04:07 AM
Tech Regular

What a load of crap. Just ignore this post.

There is no reason to go finer than 600 grit for sanding the diff rings.

Invest in ceramic diff balls. The balls you have now are probably the cause of your trouble. As they wear, they will flake. Imagine pealing an orange but on a much smaller scale. They will look ok to the naked eye but once they start doing this, they are trash. Ceramic balls just don't do this.

Use whatever grease your car recommends or whatever diff grease you like but go sparingly. You don't want to attract dirt to this area.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

gee wiz no one has a sense of humor do they lol..... I was only shit stirring.. Most ppl do that on here and I thought I would give it a go too....

I am more than happy to give my ideas you know I just thought y not be a a-hole on here like most and dont give anything away....

Now I dont know if your able to get the sillicon grease where you are but its made by molytec...... Its a metal and plastic lube that works up to 200* c and I put a promise out that will be the best you will ever use.... Ceramic balls are the go yes but if your using steel balls or whatever in your diff this stuff is unreal... You can run your diff to the point its that loose and still will never slip. Setting your diff is so true and consistent its amazing.

Sorry guys if I rubbed you up the wrong way. If you have never heard of it or whatever and cant get it I can get it for you and be more than willinng to post anywhere in the world for the cost of the lube and the price of postage no mark up at all....

Last edited by jjfo80; 11-12-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

oh just in self defense lol I have been reading this thread
dyno'd-silver can 540j after long break-in on the onroad electric forum and these so called gurus of the silver can bullshit reckon they know all and practically say cheating is only cheating if u get caught plus you pay my $50 for a silver can that "I" tuned for you but I will not tell you how I did it cause I will lose business...
I just thought it went without saying. I NO I am far from being like that.

Just some rctech trivia if you have a look at that thread you will get a kick out of it.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info and help.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:58 AM
Tech Adept

Going back to the first post it sounds like mracer is trying to re-use thrust washers and diff rings by sanding to refresh them.

I've never had much luck doing this. The thrust washers can get a pretty big groove in them which hand sanding doesnt seem to take out. You can get some extra life out of the rings and thrust washers by flipping them over in a rebuild.

Have a look at this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLLoRYm-QLg

As was said before, ceramic balls are great and the diff feels smooth a lot longer. Don't overtighten the diff when you're setting it up as well as the thrust washer balls can dent the thrustwasher and then you'll never get the diff to feel smooth.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:53 AM
Tech Adept

+1 Schumacher diff lube, and a tip for your diff, change the cone washers for Schumacher cone washers, it donīt have a tendance to make flat, at least are more durable.
I donīt like to reuse the thrust washers, but sanding diff rings, if the balls mark are not more profund, work well.

Greetings, Luis C.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

are you talking about this stuff?

personally I have only used AE white grease so far.
Attached Thumbnails Ball Diffs-u1301_w.jpg  
Old 11-14-2010, 01:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It will also help to have a one-piece steel t-nut for your diff screw as opposed to some cars that use a plastic T insert for the nut. I don't have an Xray so I'm not sure what it comes with but maybe others could take note of this.

For the balls I usually just put a small dab of lube on each one to prevent too much excess attracting dirt.

And as others have mentioned ceramic balls help a lot and lasts you many rebuilds.

Last edited by rc_square24; 11-14-2010 at 01:58 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.