R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Tamiya TA-05v.2 & TB-03d

Hi all, well im going to take advantage of the good aussie dollar and buy a on-road car from the U.S to have a bit of fun with, carparks etc and try some drifting and maybe a bit of racing as well, basically an all-round car bash/drift/race..
and i think ive narrowed it down to a Tamiya, good prices and parts etc are easy to get...

Ive been looking at the TA-05V.2kit and the TB-O3D-chassis kit, now for the questions-

1. Is shaft drive better than belt drive..
2. Is the driveline etc strong as im going to run brushless with lipos..
3. What size brushless motor would be good..
4. Budget is around $450 ive already got a 2.4ghz radio system and servo,s lipos chargers etc
5. Any other suggestions on different cars would be good as well...
6. If i go with the TA-O5V.2 is it worth paying the extra and going for the R model..

Cheers Clint
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waggaclint View Post
6. If i go with the TA-O5V.2 is it worth paying the extra and going for the R model..

Cheers Clint

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Deff yes.
DuckStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think you need to ask yourself what your are going to use the car primarily for. If it is bashing/drifting and running outside, the shaft drive is better. If you are going to race it on carpet, belt is better. You will have a heck of a time getting a drift car to work well on a carpet track. Drifting around a corner and racing through a corner are two entirely different things and having a car that can do both is pretty much a pipe dream. Get the TB 03 if your answer is bash/drift. Get the TA 05 if the answer is race.

Both are good strong cars that can handle brushless and lipo. Motor size depends on how you answer the question too. If you are going to race it, check out what your track runs and go with that. If you are going to drift/bash, you will probably want to go with 17.5 or bigger.

I find that bashing/drifting gets old in about an afternoon. However, racing never gets old. Most racers started out bashing/drifting. You can't say that most bashers/drifters started out racing. So in the long run, you are probably going to want a car you can race. That's just me though.
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote