R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-14-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
Tech Addict
Default Oversteer good for the rookie driver?

I have collected a dozen setup sheets for my XXX-S and I have about twenty pages of recommendations for the best setup. I have that little $19 book on touring car set up. I have at least three lengthy guides to how to set up your chassis, also.

I have been assuming that if I set up my car like the pros recommend or other racers recommend; then my car will be faster and corner better for me.

Something, I read last night has caused me to re-think this assumption. The author said something to the effect; that, when you are learning to drive you want the car to over steer. A majority of the advice on chassis setup assumes you want to get rid of both over steer and under steer.

I wonder how much of the other advice I have been reading is really only applicable to the top drivers and either does not apply or is false when you talk about novice drivers.
When I read that a 1.17 battery has a lot more punch than a 1.16 battery; I wonder if as a novice I would even be able to tell.

I am sure there are ways of adjusting my Airtronics MX-3, particularly the expo feature, which would make learning to drive a lot easier, but all I find are recommendations for the experienced driver.

I have a decent charger which charges at 4 amps max. I am told I should charge my NIMH batteries at 6 amps. I would guess that for someone of my skill level the difference would be undetectable, but I do not know.

I think it would be helpful for some of us drivers who are new to the sport, to have advice, which might apply to us and not the more experienced driver.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

5 amps is probably the best setting to charge nickle metal batteries. You get good runtime and volts from that setting.

I think a rookie would do better with a car that understeers. That way they won't be spinning out on the track.

I don't think a rookie will notice a big difference of a 1.16 pack vs a 1.17. The will be too busy trying to drive the car to notice.

I also think a rookie should start off with the stock setup and just worry about learning to drive without wrecking. Once they get the basics of driving then worry about setting the car up to go faster.

My 2 cents.
Chill Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:20 PM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yea.... being a new driver ...oversteer (too much steering) is the last thing you want......most "new car" setups will make the car purposely tame(understeer) so a new driver wont get to frustrated.......
1/8 Scale: Tekno EB-48.2... Tekin RX-8 GEN-2 W/2050kv... Airtronix M11-X Radio... HiTec HS-7954SH Servo...

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:25 PM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I agree, a rookie driver wants to have understeer if anything. If you have oversteer and you spin out in the middle of the race you are more likely to lose time and break more parts if you cause an incident by spinning out infront of other cars.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 07:25 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

I agree also.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:15 PM   #6
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

would being good at driving an oversteering car make you a better driver when your car is setup just right? (not over/under)
rc_square24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:19 PM   #7
Tech Master

I would think not beacause you'll get used to oversteering and come into the turn late to cut it but if you have less steering you may turn too late and crash. Or take it too wide.
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:32 PM   #8
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As a rookie I don't think you'd want oversteer, at least not alot of it. What you really want is a pretty neutral setup. A little under or over steer won't make a big difference when your trying to just make the car go around the track without wrecking. Now if you have a lot of either then you're more likey to wreck.

IMO being good at driving an oversteering car wouldn't make you any better any faster than learning how to drive a neutral car, and possibly worse. Being smooth is one of the keys to speed, when your used to throwing the car through the turns you're just picking up bad habbits.

A 4 amp charge won't make any difference and neither will 1.17 batteries vs 1.16s. A better charger should definatly be on your wishlist, but until you can at least make it through the race without major wrecking and such you should definatly save your money. Ditto with the batteries, 1.16s are good enough batteries to take you a long way.
psbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:43 PM   #9
Tech Addict
Send a message via AIM to icon

setting up a car for different driving characteristics really depends on driving style. a lot of people prefer driving a car that has oversteer characteristics (i'm one of them) and some like a car that understeers more (my friend is a good example of this).

i guess the reason why people like an 'oversteer' car is because its easier to rotate the car in a corner that way. it is perfectly fine to try an experiment and see where your limits are in car control (such as people who drift). but just because a car feels fast doesnt necessarily translate to faster track times so be careful in how much tuning you do that would result in positive track times and or helping your driving techniques.

the setups that the Pro's use are a good guideline in what to look for in a certain type of track. obviously if your driving technique is not on par with a Pro's then you may not benefit from such a setup. but again think of it as a guideline; the type of tire they use may be just the setup you were looking for etc.

practicing a car with a slight oversteer may help in situations where the track is low grip and you have to know how to be smooth even with a car that is very loose and tail happy. someone who is used to having a perfectly adapted to ideal racing conditions may then be at a disadvantage at the same track.

racing is about adapting. sometimes you cant get a perfect setup and gotta drive a car that may have understeer or oversteer. if you practice with both you may be able to adapt more quickly than those who spend a whole bunch of time trying to find an ideal setup.

Last edited by icon; 07-14-2004 at 10:49 PM.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 11:48 AM   #10
Tech Master

i for one and would recommend for others to se-up there car so that it doesnt oversteer but has just enough sterring to get round.
if you have a car oversteery then its unpridictable.
also at high speed corners the car could loose the back end.
set your car up so that its got a slight amount of understeer but not enough to suffeciantly slow you round corners.
Much More Racing
LRP electronic
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:03 PM   #11
Tech Adept

After attending my first race this past sunday, I think I can confidently say that you should start off with understeer. Since I have just started racing, I'm a little bit trigger happy so it was very easy for me to spinout at the corners. After a racer re-setup my car for understeer...I learned to hit the throttle less and make smoother turns instead of the spinout moves I had made during my qualifying sessions. And seriously..."slow and steady" does win the race.
rccardude909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:51 PM   #12
Send a message via AIM to RcRacerX
Talking UNDERSTEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel that it is better for a rookie to set thier car up for slight understeer. That way it will teach them to slow down for the corners and develop good habits right off the bat.
RcRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote