TB01 or TA04????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TB01 or TA04????

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

I'm lucky enough to have a fully optioned TB01 (that costs as much as an evo anyway). I think it's much easier to work on than the TB evo; I have a TGR that's has the same drivetrain/chassis structure as the TB evo. The top chassis plate has to unscrewed each time you need to work on your diff or replace a spur gear. The integrated gearbox suspension mount on the TB01, while not as strong as the TB evo's is much easier to work on or replace components.

I also have a TA04s that, out of the box is much better (nimble, faster, lighter) than any stock TB01 I've ever driven. It's a newer design that's made for on road racing vs a design made for off road and reliability.

If your willing to pay the price, the TB01 can competitive with anthing out there. You'll also have a pretty unique car in a field of XXXs and Tc3's. And don't forget...practice.
Old 11-21-2001, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

So, you're saying the TB01 has potential?

I'm hoping that the TB01 will do well as a reliable rally car, that CAN do onroad (won't excel at it, but that's fine).
Old 11-21-2001, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by dugrant153
Are there any other problems with the TB01? I read a review on the TB01 rally, and this hardcore RC rally guy said it really stunk as a rally car. Is this true? Is the TB01 just a good road car or what?
the tb01 was really designed to be a rally car chassis in the first place. some devoted tamiyaphiles just decided that they can also make it into a good onroad car.

there are certainly problems like overheating and the hopup carbon shaft frays on hard use. but so far that's what i have encountered.
Old 11-21-2001, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
No thanks I already have an 04r and I wouldn't trade it for all the TB's in the world....no offense, but in my first race i wooped up on a few TB's besides why spend $50+ on long suspension arms, and then a few hundred extra on hop-ups, just to bring a TB01 up to 04r specs???? Just my opinion.....
apologies. i didn't take a good look at the dates on the posts. so how does the ta04r compare to the the ta04 pro and the ta04s?
Old 11-21-2001, 04:16 PM
Tech Regular

Overheating I'd expect. I could probably just get a P2k to solve that?

Also, I've also heard about the carbon shaft (which is a hop-up, correct?). I could probably just stick with the stock one and it'll last me more than 7 runs?

Well, glad to see that there's TB01 rally fans.

Oh, can you adjust camber/toe-in/etc. on the TB01 rally?
Old 11-21-2001, 05:50 PM
Tech Adept

the stock shaft should last longer than 7 runs. they had an endurance race here and the tb01 came out on top. so i think the stock kit will last..

the camber you can adjust for the rear/front. toe-in is only for the front. i'm not sure if tamiya will come out with a rear hub with a different toe-in angle.

Last edited by spider; 11-21-2001 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2001, 06:50 PM
Tech Regular

Can the TB01 handle mod motors (well, once ballbearings are added)? I've got a 20-turn stinger motor, and I don't want it to burn out gears?

Also, how much run time can you get from a Mabuchi 540? I heard that the Mabuchi was slow?
Old 11-21-2001, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the 04r uses the 414x suspension geometry, which gives you 5 degs of caster instead of the 8 degs from the pro ,04, and 04s. Also the casterblocks use torque rods that help the remain at 5 degs. instead of flexing from 3-7 degs. during hard cornering. The 04r is soooo easy to drive it as if Tamiya set it up just for me!!!!!! I also feel the rear end stays planted a whole lot better without pushing, which means I can dial in alot more steering without the car becoming soo loose it donuts on every turn (like my TC3 did).... And with my first race out of the box, I qualified 4th, ended up dead last and one lap down after the first 2 lap "incedents" over the next 14 laps I reeled in 2nd and firmly finished ther by 1 1/4 laps over third by the 5min. mark!!! This was running the 540 mambuchi in the Tamiya class, and my average lap time was just .2 under the "fast guys" in the stock class!!!!! Then I let my dad and brother drive the car and both of them said the car felt perfect, excellent concidering all 3 of us have totally different driving styles and tastes in set-ups!!!!

So when i get my money in January i will be getting another 04r so that i can race both Tamiya and stock on the same night.....
Old 11-21-2001, 09:49 PM
Tech Adept

hmmm... looks like its worth a look. been looking for a belt-driven tourer...