Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tuned Brushless or Regular whats the difference but price. >

Tuned Brushless or Regular whats the difference but price.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tuned Brushless or Regular whats the difference but price.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Tuned Brushless or Regular whats the difference but price.

I am curious to know what everyone thinks on the subject. I am in the market for a new motor and I am wondering it is worth it to pay the extra for the "tuned matched brushless " motor or to just get the regular motor and say upgrade the bearing myself.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

What is "tuned matched brushless"? Never heard of it. Sounds maximum best to me....
Old 11-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

I guess the best way to explain it is someone takes someone else's platform and makes mods to it so its better. Like right now I am looking at BOSS motors which start from a SpeedPassion V3 motor platform and the MuffDogg sorry if I spelt that wrong and I think that platform came off the Epic Duo motors.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

Good question because I am looking to get a Ballistic motor but another option was to get another Boss tuned motor. Trying to figure out what is the best brushless 13.5 motor for WGT 1S.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

I looked at the Ballistic but because the way the motor sits in the bulkhead for the Losi Type R they were out of the question. How do you like your Boss motor and did you go with the ceramic upgrade. I know I am being a little nosey sorry seems rather expensive for a motor is all.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dfiantii
I am curious to know what everyone thinks on the subject. I am in the market for a new motor and I am wondering it is worth it to pay the extra for the "tuned matched brushless " motor or to just get the regular motor and say upgrade the bearing myself.

From what i can tell, most "tuners" dyno the motor, shim/center the rotor if needed, and they measure the gaus of the rotor. Some install ceramic bearings for an extra fee.

imho, I would save your cash on the "tuned" motor.

Shawn.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanx for the input..
Old 11-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I looked at the Ballistic but because the way the motor sits in the bulkhead for the Losi Type R they were out of the question. How do you like your Boss motor and did you go with the ceramic upgrade. I know I am being a little nosey sorry seems rather expensive for a motor is all.
There is not enough room for a Ballistic in the JRX-S R?? Was just about to order one. My Velociti fits with no problems so I figured the ballistic would as well since they are identical in dimension. That sucks, being able to change out the rotor for different timing is a brilliant idea.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Regional Moderator

I am wondering it is worth it to pay the extra for the "tuned matched brushless " motor or to just get the regular motor
Some tuned motors come with a nice decal on the can. That's all I got...
Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrodieMan
There is not enough room for a Ballistic in the JRX-S R?? Was just about to order one. My Velociti fits with no problems so I figured the ballistic would as well since they are identical in dimension. That sucks, being able to change out the rotor for different timing is a brilliant idea.
Hey Brodie,
The Ballistic fits but from the pictures I have seen from someone that put it in there they had to bend the motor wire tabs to get clearance from the bulkheads.
http://dajohnwee.blogspot.com/2009/0...t-arrived.html
Old 11-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Some tuned motors come with a nice decal on the can. That's all I got...
Which tuned motor did you get if I may ask. I am leaning to the BOSS motors.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey Brodie,
The Ballistic fits but from the pictures I have seen from someone that put it in there they had to bend the motor wire tabs to get clearance from the bulkheads.
http://dajohnwee.blogspot.com/2009/0...t-arrived.html
Thanks for the heads up, didn't notice the tabs on the Ballistic are lower on the can than the Velociti's are. Well than, now I have to do some motor research.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Regional Moderator

Which tuned motor did you get if I may ask. I am leaning to the BOSS motors.
The last "tuned" motor I bought was an Express Duo1. Recent motors have all been off the shelf brand name factory motors.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I run BOSS motors and have run normal speed passion v3s and the BOSS outperforms a standard motor in every way. The BOSS motor run cooler, faster and the gearing window is quite a bit wider. I know an issue with the standards v3s is that if they are undergeared they get hot, I mean my only a couple teeth undergeared. With my BOSS motors this isn't as obvious. To boot Nathan, the guy that does the BOSS motors, is a great guy to deal with!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
The last "tuned" motor I bought was an Express Duo1. Recent motors have all been off the shelf brand name factory motors.
Did you really notice a difference between the "TUNED" motor and the off the shelf ones?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.