Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tuned Brushless or Regular whats the difference but price. >

Tuned Brushless or Regular whats the difference but price.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tuned Brushless or Regular whats the difference but price.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by dfiantii
Did you really notice a difference between the "TUNED" motor and the off the shelf ones?
Nate spends a lot of time on his motors and he doesn't sell anything that doesn't meet a minimum wattage point. Rest assured if you buy a boss motor it will be faster then off the shelf.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I just curious did any of you who bought the BOSS motors opt for the ceramic bearing upgrade?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 328 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dfiantii
I guess the best way to explain it is someone takes someone else's platform and makes mods to it so its better. Like right now I am looking at BOSS motors which start from a SpeedPassion V3 motor platform and the MuffDogg sorry if I spelt that wrong and I think that platform came off the Epic Duo motors.
New senergy murfdogg motors are there own platform...
Old 11-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnny boy
New senergy murfdogg motors are there own platform...
Thank you for that correction.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Company Representative

It just amuses me. Novak's engineers designed the sensored, brushless motor platform adopted for RC racing, but someone needs to "tune" Chinese imports as if that magically bestows some additional performance.

All of our BL motors are designed and manufactured here in Irvine, and "tuned" by us. We have designed all of our motor testing equipment and oversee every step of manufacturing. No other US MFG (or tuner) can make this claim.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm not bashing motor "tuners" but I think in the brushed days they were more of a benefit than today. For the most part I think you could tune your own brushless motor yourself. I'm thinking of refreshing or "tuning" my X12 because I've used it for a year. I emailed Murffdogg about ceramic bearing in motors and he says he saw no performance difference. I have also heard that from others. BUT I do think stronger, balances rotors could make a difference, and you can install a tuned rotor yourself. So I guess my point is...do what you'd like. And if your an excellent driver and can get everything out of a motor, it won't hurt to have a tuned one.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Company Representative

We offer individual 13.5 and 17.5 Ballistic 540 motors with ceramic bearings and graded rotors already installed. And, we have our Build-A-Ballistic™ programs for customers who want additional customization.

Probably the best "tuning" option for older motors is installing a new rotor---the magnetic strength of rotors weakens with heat.

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
I'm not bashing motor "tuners" but I think in the brushed days they were more of a benefit than today. For the most part I think you could tune your own brushless motor yourself. I'm thinking of refreshing or "tuning" my X12 because I've used it for a year. I emailed Murffdogg about ceramic bearing in motors and he says he saw no performance difference. I have also heard that from others. BUT I do think stronger, balances rotors could make a difference, and you can install a tuned rotor yourself. So I guess my point is...do what you'd like. And if your an excellent driver and can get everything out of a motor, it won't hurt to have a tuned one.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
It just amuses me. Novak's engineers designed the sensored, brushless motor platform adopted for RC racing, but someone needs to "tune" Chinese imports as if that magically bestows some additional performance.

All of our BL motors are designed and manufactured here in Irvine, and "tuned" by us. We have designed all of our motor testing equipment and oversee every step of manufacturing. No other US MFG (or tuner) can make this claim.
This is really good to know. I think you helped me make my decision. Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gonzo416
This is really good to know. I think you helped me make my decision. Thanks
Is there a different Ballistic motor or rotor for 13.5 1S or is it the esc?
Can you please explain the reason for using different rotors in the Ballistic?
Old 11-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Novak all the way it's just a matter of looking for the sweet spot to make the best performance out of your motor. I have been running novak since they released their brushless system. I experiment with different motor but I always end running my ballistic on the main. I run Novak 4.5 ballistic at the reedy race this year in open mod no dought I got one of the fastest car on the straight but got too many electrical issues with receiver and interference.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Company Representative

Is there a different Ballistic motor or rotor for 13.5 1S or is it the esc?
Can you please explain the reason for using different rotors in the Ballistic?
Here is the link to our rotor info:

TeamNovak Rotors
Old 11-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

TeamNovak Rotors
Ballistic would be on my radar if I was not going to be driving a Losi Type R which has a bulkhead clearance issue with that motor because of the wire tabs. I don't want to have to hack the motor tabs or bulkheads to make a motor fit...
Old 11-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm in need for a new rotor so I'm thinking of getting the 1300 grade sintered rotor to get the edge in stock racing.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

TeamNovak Rotors
i have a GTB Spread Spektrum and a novak ss motor that i bought a sintered rotor for some time ago. would this rotor be the same as the ones on the page of the link or are those new versions?
Old 11-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Company Representative

i have a GTB Spread Spektrum and a novak ss motor that i bought a sintered rotor for some time ago. would this rotor be the same as the ones on the page of the link or are those new versions?
Our 540 rotors for the SS Pro and Ballistics are the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.