R/C Tech LIVE @ the 2004 ROAR Paved On-Road Nationals in Portland, Oregon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R/C Tech LIVE @ the 2004 ROAR Paved On-Road Nationals in Portland, Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Tech Elite

Derek makes some good points about contracts. At my job, I deal with athletes and contracts all the time (I work at DC Shoes). Most athletes are happy and really excited when they sign up with a new sponsor, so some tend to think the contract and words aren't that important cause at the time because everyone is happy and agree to the major points. Usually no one goes to the contract unless something goes wrong. These days action sports athletes are now starting to be represented by agents who take the time to read the fine print. They find issues to bring up that include logo size, placement, appearance fees, first right or refusal, per diem, performance incentives, video incentives, contest incentives, etc. My popint is, it is a business and you need to take the contract seriously. I feel RC is starting to go that way. I'm actually kind of amazed why pros make so little money for an industry that is so big. Time will tell, and as the money gets larger, so will the importance of contracts. Contracts work both way too; a company can hold you to what they want as well as making sure you get what you want.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:50 AM
Tech Master

Hi friends. Greetings from Malta.

Firstly SHANE, well done and thanks for great coverage.....again!

I have enjoyed reading the last couple of pages with comments and different views on sponsorships, jumping ship, etc.

This sort of thing happens all the time......everywhere, and I can think of alot of reasons why it happens, not just money. But I won't elaborate as I don't fancy starting another polemic.

What I can't understand is the guys that are doing well with a particular product, getting good results, who then move to an inferior product, with the resultant drop in performance and results.

OK so there might be perks, but isn't winning more important at the end of the day ?

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:01 AM
Tech Adept

Andrew, Andrew, Andrew. Hey Dude When are you coming back to Florida to race again?

Ken "The Only Scarecrow" Holmes

UnSponcered and Loving It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 07-20-2004, 04:27 AM

quick question, will i be considered a whiner or cry baby or bitcher if i point out a apparent rules violation that got over looked at the race?
Old 07-20-2004, 05:20 AM
Tech Initiate

smn_says 1. I hope Cavelieri has a great lawyer. The little T should be breathing down his neck shortly. Cyrul happens to have all his bases covered and the little T should be squirming. But little T has always had money to waste. So the legal battle continues with Cyrul and Dieter is on deck, so is Lemioux, Spashett can't be touched and Ryan is the S.O.L.
2. Trinity drivers abandon a sinking ship due to poor management skills, bad communication and a lack of appreciation.
3. Ask J.Johnson, Niesinger, Doseck, Blackstock, Baker, Cyrul, Spashett, Lemioux, Dieter, Cavelieri, and a host of others and I am sure they will all say the money is not worth the grief. Joel didn't leave with a big party, he is only in hiding.

edseb Derek makes some good points about contracts. At my job, I deal with athletes and contracts all the time (I work at DC Shoes). Most athletes are happy and really excited when they sign up with a new sponsor, so some tend to think the contract and words aren't that important cause at the time because everyone is happy and agree to the major points. Usually no one goes to the contract unless something goes wrong. These days action sports athletes are now starting to be represented by agents who take the time to read the fine print. They find issues to bring up that include logo size, placement, appearance fees, first right or refusal, per diem, performance incentives, video incentives, contest incentives, etc. My popint is, it is a business and you need to take the contract seriously. I feel RC is starting to go that way. I'm actually kind of amazed why pros make so little money for an industry that is so big. Time will tell, and as the money gets larger, so will the importance of contracts. Contracts work both way too; a company can hold you to what they want as well as making sure you get what you want

edseb: Since you are familiar with contracts then you should agree that if a sponsor does not fulfil its end of the contract by refusing to send agreed upon paycheck, submits a formal letter of dismissal and termination of health care, that pretty much means that your contract is null and void. And when you seek employment elsewhere, the sponsor tries to enforce the old contract, force employment AND unsubstantiated monetary damages through the legal system. Now the rest of the world cannot figure out why drivers do what they have to do. Interesting don't you think?
Old 07-20-2004, 05:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by ritchie
quick question, will i be considered a whiner or cry baby or bitcher if i point out a apparent rules violation that got over looked at the race?
Depends on how you present it....
I think *ANY* rules violations after the fact should be used to
close/change rules for the next race. Can't change the past unless you're the NCAA....... Just ask Mass... Villanova.....
Old 07-20-2004, 06:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Some pics from the nats

I put together a small album of some of the personalities at the Nats on Nikonnet. You can access it here:

http://home1.nikonnet.com/servlet/co...HO=memberguest
Old 07-20-2004, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Well wanted to thank the promoters and event staff for putting on a great event. I had a blast at my first Nats! I know of the racers that were there the positives blow away any small negatives that may have happened. It is impossible to keep all of us racer types happy all the time...lol

Practice time was super easy to get. The track was sweet and the layout was fun. I never heard on racer complain about the track...privateer or pro.

Was fun to see the different sedans all do well. With Xray, Mi2 and Pro4 winning stock, 19t and mod. Corally with stock tq with their old car...Chris looked fast with the new one.

Hara was the man on sunday and Pillars had some mad HP in his Orion mods. The V2 based mod was ballistic.

Looking forward to the pics...

Jeff
Old 07-20-2004, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Thad Garner
Are you sure it wasn’t nail polish remover?
Okay, it was nail polish remover...I didn't like the flowers painted on my toenails when I got a pedicure at exotica Besides, we wouldn't want to freak out the other passengers with certain chemicals that would call out security hehe.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Put together a little flash sequence of Hara getting a cold shower:

http://www.gearchart.com/flash/hara_soak.html

Also, fixed the big image window of the pictures I uploaded to my image gallery @ gearchart.com so the popup window should open up the full sized 800px wide image.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rtypec
Okay, it was nail polish remover...I didn't like the flowers painted on my toenails when I got a pedicure at exotica Besides, we wouldn't want to freak out the other passengers with certain chemicals that would call out security hehe.
I figured it was nail polish, your room did have a special scent to it. The TSN guys at the airport stopped me again to check out my batts.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by gee-dub
amezcua and truhe are a-main contenders at just just about any level they race, not sure i would call them "B level guys".

congrats to all the winners, and thanks to the mag that sponsored our host moderators trip. i already have a subscription, and hearing that they do stuff like this only makes me want to support them more.
I never said who these B level guys were sombody is making assumtions.

Also just because you make an A Main does not make you a "A" level driver.

Again people are missing the mark. Even if your the fastest it does not make you the best. Your attitude and the way you represent yourself play a big part once you are sponsored as you become part of the "face" of the company.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

smn:
I agree. Only, if the company breaks the contract, depending on the amount and reason, I would consider sueing them for money owed. Contracts aren't month to month, if they break the contract, they still owe the money. In some cases, this is people's livelihoods, and bills don't get paid. When our company wants an athlete to break his or her contract with an existing company, we have to consider buying them out; basically giving the money to the company that currently has them sponsored the cost of the contract payments in order to finish it. Sounds weird, but that's what is common. Also, there aren't any set steps for this. We handle each on an individual basis. Each reason is different and there are always two sides to the story.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Perhaps the fine print wasn't read when all the people left. Apparently so.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Also, even though it seems like someone might have broken a contract, it is still binding until both parties agree its over; sometimes by using legal methods. Its bad when people start assuming breach, etc. Mistakes are made all the time and contarcts are very detailed. Athletes actually break contracts all the time, but it is usually so insignificant, and the contarcts so comprehensive, that unless its huge its still binding. That is where it gets sticky. But, its not good to assume the contarct is breached and move on. Manufactures don't like guys to break contracts, it shows lack of commitment and no loyalty; a red flag. An athlete should show every sign that he or she went to every length to resolve matters. I'm not saying that's what happened here, just something to consider.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.