Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
LIPO, LIFE, NIMH   Which are  you using?? >

LIPO, LIFE, NIMH Which are you using??

LIPO, LIFE, NIMH Which are you using??

Old 11-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking LIPO, LIFE, NIMH Which are you using??

Good day. I was wondering.

Since technology has changes and brushed motors are kind a thing of the past, (I still have about 30 motors so I still run them sometimes) What batteries are you running in your on road cars/trucks ?

What are you looking for in a Battery??

Thanks
Old 11-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Regional Moderator

Just about everyone has switched to LiPo. 2s, around 5000mAh, at least 30C, which covers just about every pack currently being sold.

What to look for? Something with the specs above that is in a hard case, and that uses the type of connector you prefer. If you race in the US, a ROAR approved pack is just about a necessity.

Popular brands include: Thunderpower, SMC, Intellect, Fantom, Orion, etc.

ROAR approved packs here: http://www.roarracing.com/approvals/lipobattery.php
Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Talking Racing in the US.

Hi. I'm in the US and I totally understand what you are saying. I was wondering if for Onroad racing,people get 4000MAH packs to reduce weight or something lighter to make ti through the races but to keep the car as light as possible.

Also, 50C rating would be a good thing I would imagine or greater.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Hi. I'm in the US and I totally understand what you are saying. I was wondering if for Onroad racing,people get 4000MAH packs to reduce weight or something lighter to make ti through the races but to keep the car as light as possible.

Also, 50C rating would be a good thing I would imagine or greater.
Most people in stock still use the Thunderpower 5000 mAh 40C.

In reality, the C ratings are mostly marketing speak. For example, the latest 6000 mAh 65C packs are theoretically capable of 390A continuous, 780A peak (for around 10 second bursts). Unfortunately, no 14 ga wire or any kind of standard RC connectors can carry that current for any amount of time. They'll melt. Also, there really isn't any standard way of measuring current draws like that. Its specmanship.

Since most people (at least before the TC weight was reduced to 1400 grams this year) had to add weight to the battery side anyway, the pack weight just wasn't that important. And it still isn't. You aren't going to lose a race if your car weighs 20 grams more.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i m using lipo after transitioning from nimh.. however u still need to add some weights on car to balance up... else u notice one side heavier which affect handling...
Old 11-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Talking LiPo

What battery sizes are most folks using. ??

Are most people running onroad in the winter and offroad in the summer and using the 5000mAh batteries for the 1/8th scale buggies and using them on the onroad cars??