R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   The driving thread (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/44833-driving-thread.html)

The Black Kat 07-11-2004 08:05 AM

The driving thread

Yo,

I figure if we can have threads about motors and cells why can't we have one about driving & drving conditions

So far I suck outdoor, Had a decent showing last month (my last race so far) finished within 3 seconds of one of the local "hotshoes" who won in my class. Had to do it on borrowed Putnam power though

I'm good on carpet. Ironically if they raced there weekends I'd be at every race because I can get there. Unfortunetely they race friday nights AND its outdoor season (boo)

I gotta drive again until I can talk about my style. Haven't driven in a month and it'll be another week until again.

Anyway, we can discuss styles and try to help each other become better drivers

-Dan

fatdoggy 07-11-2004 09:46 AM

Re: The driving thread

Originally posted by The Black Kat
Anyway, we can discuss styles and try to help each other become better drivers

-Dan

The only thing that makes you better is racing. Talking about it doesn't help at all. ;)

Kenshin 07-11-2004 10:09 AM

Just like fatdoggy said, you can talk about it 'til the cows come home but you will still not become a better driver. Practicing especially with fast guys will help you more.

JusBox 07-11-2004 10:25 AM

crash less, be smooth. there you go, the secret to low lap times.

TimXLB 07-11-2004 10:28 AM

Black Kat:

Hi,

you also can try online racing with XBox. try Toca Driver 2, ppoject Gotham 2 , Moto GP2 and others. we do this in our off season (Karting). seems to help my son out alot.
as for just talking about driving everyones style is different. as Fatdoggy said practicing with the fast guys helps. try to learn something everytime you go out.

kufman 07-11-2004 11:14 AM

I think there is a lot to be said about driving style and technique. Practicing will give you consistancy and allow you to crash less.

Things that come to mind:

1. When to take the turn fast and wide vs duck-and-hook around the corner.

2. How to pass and where?

3. Feather the throttle vs being linear.

4. How to determine a good line.

I think there are a lot of things to think about when you are not on the track. Watching videos from professional races helps too.

HelpWanted 07-11-2004 11:15 AM

:nod:Couldn't agree with you guys more. Practice, pratice, and more pratice. Try to practice with a buddy, not fun practicing alone.

TeamPink91 07-11-2004 11:21 AM

Not crashing or scrubbing the walls is a key thing.

The Black Kat 07-11-2004 04:06 PM

Originally posted by TimXLB
Black Kat:

Hi,

you also can try online racing with XBox. try Toca Driver 2, ppoject Gotham 2 , Moto GP2 and others. we do this in our off season (Karting). seems to help my son out alot.
as for just talking about driving everyones style is different. as Fatdoggy said practicing with the fast guys helps. try to learn something everytime you go out.

Hey,

Now this is an idea because I can't practice around here (no permanent tracks) Too bad Dad wouldn't let me get a game system no matter how much yard work I did

I will talk til the cows become ground beef cause I aint got nothing else to do (atleast I don't have stress issues to deal with no more)

BadBoyRC 07-13-2004 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
get a horse.. you'll never be good at racing your not patient enough slow is fast hound dawg.

GundamWZero 07-13-2004 04:47 PM

This is interesting though........hear me out.

I've always wondered how you drivers will handle a purpose built? I am not talking a flat, dust free, surface, but a track that has upgrades and downgrades, like Laguna Sega? I understand that you have to be consistant when driving but how can you be able to set up and drive your TC on a course that has variable track conditions? :confused:

I am planning to open a hobby store one day when I leave the military and I want to build such a road course, desinged for nitro and electric. I'd like to know you guys input. Would you race on such an advance course?

BadBoyRC 07-13-2004 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
99% or the drivers can't keep it on a flat track.. make it too hard and no one will come takes out the fun factor.

BadBoyRC 07-13-2004 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Driving lesson #1

When you put your car on the track drive the entire track with only one throttle setting.. and stay in the middle of the lane.

Do not try to cut corners and accelerate. Only use one throttle setting..and try to make a clean lap. If you find your over shooting a turn youre going too fast slow down to 1/4 throttle and run at least your entire race day like this. Speed up a bit on the straight then revert back to that base throttle setting.

You only have two throttle settings infield and straight.. this will give you car control learn to steer before applying speed. Find the line and be smooth drive the turn with one arc not jittery.. until you can do this consistently do not speed up.

Slow is fast!

The Black Kat 07-13-2004 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve, buddy you got our cars mixed up

:o asian drivers

I guess the "car humping" gives new meaning to XXX-S...

The Black Kat 07-13-2004 05:09 PM

Originally posted by BadBoyRC
Driving lesson #1

When you put your car on the track drive the entire track with only one throttle setting.. and stay in the middle of the lane.

Do not try to cut corners and accelerate. Only use one throttle setting..and try to make a clean lap. If you find your over shooting a turn youre going too fast slow down to 1/4 throttle and run at least your entire race day like this. Speed up a bit on the straight then revert back to that base throttle setting.

You only have two throttle settings infield and straight.. this will give you car control learn to steer before applying speed. Find the line and be smooth drive the turn with one arc not jittery.. until you can do this consistently do not speed up.

Slow is fast!

Your just saying that so when you race us you can beat us easier...