Like Tree2Likes

3Racing Sakura Zero S

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kanamin
It works

I didn't want to get the vertical motor mount and thought I could reach that ONE screw tucked behind the spur gear with a chopped-off hex-key, and it works (I mentioned this earlier and no one said anything so here's to hoping this is original). This must be lower CG and lighter than the vertical motor mount right? Or maybe not lighter since the vert has those speedholes. Then again I can add some speedholes

I'll probably still flip the belts, notice the front belt is loose because I have the front diff off to get to the screw.

Please excuse the ancient electronics I haven't gotten around to converting to brushless yet lol, maybe I'll wait for that new Reedy speedo...
That's a very tight squeeze.

Would be ok if you just wanted to change pinions and tighten the motor screws up again, would be a tad tedious to take a motor out or in?

I went with the vertical motor mount and flipped the belts over, the downside of that is changing a spur gear takes a little longer.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ta04evah

Would be ok if you just wanted to change pinions and tighten the motor screws up again, would be a tad tedious to take a motor out or in?

I went with the vertical motor mount and flipped the belts over, the downside of that is changing a spur gear takes a little longer.

Cheers
Rob.
Yes, I figure I'll be changing pinions much more often than motors. Although I'm buying a new one tomorrow lol.

The mirrored belts makes changing the spur gear harder though?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Cheers
Rob.
How is it harder to change a spur? Same screws have to come out.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 6376vette
How is it harder to change a spur? Same screws have to come out.
With the vertical mount you have to take the motor out to change the spur gear.
With the original mount, you can leave the motor in while you change the spur gear.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Don't understand that. Change my spur on a regular basis and I've never had to take the motor out. Just take off the pinion and move the motor forward.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

With the vertical mount you have to take the motor out to change the spur gear.
With the original mount, you can leave the motor in while you change the spur gear.

Cheers
Rob.
That may have something to do with the gear you are running. I run a 88 tooth 64 pitch spur and have absolutely no problems getting it out of the car. I can see where a larger gear might cause problems. the carbon top deck also helps since it has a little more clearance than the stock deck.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Leaving for the racetrack now. Car is much better now that I have a different esc in that I actually can program. Tonight's final position will depend on my driving skills and should not be my cars fault...if my car holds up to my abuse that is..

Ill keep you informed

TTS
Old 08-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

That may have something to do with the gear you are running. I run a 88 tooth 64 pitch spur and have absolutely no problems getting it out of the car. I can see where a larger gear might cause problems. the carbon top deck also helps since it has a little more clearance than the stock deck.
Am using 48 pitch gears and use a 21.5 motor with a 61 spur & 37 - 39 tooth pinion. to get the pinion off I either have to undo the pinion, then take the motor out, or undo the screws on at the back of the top deck on the right side & carefully lift up the top deck just enough to get the pinion out.

Sure, I can undo the 2 screws that hold the layshaft in, and pull the assembly out , but getting it back in with the shims on both sides can be a pain in the butt.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Am using 48 pitch gears and use a 21.5 motor with a 61 spur & 37 - 39 tooth pinion. to get the pinion off I either have to undo the pinion, then take the motor out, or undo the screws on at the back of the top deck on the right side & carefully lift up the top deck just enough to get the pinion out.

Sure, I can undo the 2 screws that hold the layshaft in, and pull the assembly out , but getting it back in with the shims on both sides can be a pain in the butt.

Cheers
Rob.
The shims just take practice. Do you have the carbon top deck? It is much, much easier to install the shims with the carbon deck. it is cut a little different than the stock frp deck. Do it a couple of times and it becomes easy.

I do have to loosen the motor to get pinions on and off but that operation is tons easier with the vertical mount. a minute and your done. the only issue for me is the battery. since I run the carbon chassis the battery must be held in with tape instead of the strap so every time I change pinions I retape the battery.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:59 AM
Tech Elite

The shims just take practice. Do you have the carbon top deck? It is much, much easier to install the shims with the carbon deck. it is cut a little different than the stock frp deck. Do it a couple of times and it becomes easy.

I do have to loosen the motor to get pinions on and off but that operation is tons easier with the vertical mount. a minute and your done. the only issue for me is the battery. since I run the carbon chassis the battery must be held in with tape instead of the strap so every time I change pinions I retape the battery.
I do have the carbon upper decks but I don't have a very steady hand and the shims tend to fall off, maybe if I put a small bit of grease on them to stick to the side of the pulley it'll make it easier to get the assembly back in.

One of my cars has a carbon deck and I have to do the same thing, the other still has the velcro strap, even after I switched the belts over to use a vertical motor mount, I just had to modify the battery holder a little.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cheers
Rob.
who makes the 61t spur?
Old 08-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BiggieFries
who makes the 61t spur?
Ditto....

Last nights racing was worse than the previous week. I didn't finish a single race...5-6 laps in and car would shut down...that's all I have to say about that...going to put in whole new system for next week..

Another note is the stock tires....boy do they make great drift tires...I have literally run less then 3 battery packs and look how much tread they have left...

I have some 36r slick tires for racing..how many races do can you pull before you have to replace them? Is it just whenever you think the car is sliding too much?

TTS
Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

couldnt get pics to upload from my phone...here they are

TTS
Attached Thumbnails 3Racing Sakura Zero S-stk-ti.jpg   3Racing Sakura Zero S-stkti.jpg  
Old 08-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

tq racing only goes down to 71T 48P

found this http://www.rcmart.com/3racing-spur-g...th=595_744_708

from rcmart. do you think this would fit sakura?

TTS
Old 08-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

No, those are spurs for the TT01.

RCmart has the 3racing 70t 48p which will fit. RC-mushroom has a better selection from 65t to 96t 48p.

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/advanced_...sort=1a&page=2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.