Search
Like Tree2Likes

3Racing Sakura Zero S

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by d.k.vmatt
My breakage was caused by side swiping the pit wall repeatedly and I think the final time it grabed the tyre on the wall and just pulled it backwards.
nothing much can protect against that
Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by d.k.vmatt
My breakage was caused by side swiping the pit wall repeatedly and I think the final time it grabed the tyre on the wall and just pulled it backwards.
You don't need a stronger arm. you need a different device for testing the structural integrity of the pit wall. the tires are not a proper testing device. May I suggest the driver side door of your opponent?????? Seems to work better and your stuff doesn't get torn up.

I have run the hard arms and they seem a little stronger but I switched back to the standard arms because they handle better.

BTW I believe the hard arms are also a hair longer so you will need to check your toe and camber settings.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Tech Regular

Default Understanding Setup for Carpet

Fellow S owners,

First I apologize for the lengthy post.

I recently received a S that I am beginning to put together and have read through, Google searched the web and thread searched this thread a few times to try and pick up and out what I am looking for and have not had much luck in getting all of this put together.

To give background on what I am running for gear and track type:

The type of tracks I will be running the car on, I will be on both a med/high bite carpet and med bite asphalt tracks (depending on weather).

I will be running a Hobbywing Justock with the combo 17.5 motor, with what I believe has 0 timing on the sensor board and has 0 timing adjustment.

I have two questions that I could use the general communities help in:

1. Is it physically possible to gear the car with the in the box motor mount into the (3.0-4.0 range) I see a lot of references to having to pull the top deck off and the spur holder out and I am fine with doing that if that is what is needed. I have also seen various spur and pinion gear combos but nothing that directly leads me to believe that I can do it with what comes in the box. If it is possible to get into the proper gear range what spur/pinion combination am I looking at that will work with the in the box equipment?

2. The attached is what I am looking to start with as a setup for carpet, am I way off base with this setup? As I understand it, what comes out of the box as stock is fairly solid for starting on asphalt.

I see that Steve M has done a lot of work putting together a good list of what "essential" upgrades to get so I wont ask the redundant what upgrades should I get question, and as I get more comfortable with the car I will upgrade along the recommended lines that the community has already laid out.

I appreciate all of your input and look forward to becoming and active participant in the thread.
Attached Thumbnails 3Racing Sakura Zero S-hanger-30-setup.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by majicman
Fellow S owners,

Is it physically possible to gear the car with the in the box motor mount into the (3.0-4.0 range) I see a lot of references to having to pull the top deck off and the spur holder out and I am fine with doing that if that is what is needed. I have also seen various spur and pinion gear combos but nothing that directly leads me to believe that I can do it with what comes in the box. If it is possible to get into the proper gear range what spur/pinion combination am I looking at that will work with the in the box equipment?
I too have recently acquired a Zero S and am waiting on a couple of key upgrades before I proceed to build it.

I'm not sure if it was posted here or not but I'll attach a chart which will show what gearing is possible with the stock/modded/vertical motor mounts.
Personally, I went for the optional vertical motor mount as I'll be using a 21.5 motor & zero timing on the esc.
For a small price the vertical will save you a lot of time when you need to put your motor in or out.

From both what I have seen & read, the Zero S is a very capable car when against other cars 3 times it's price. I'm looking forward to building it and getting it on the track in the near future.

Cheers
Rob.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SakuraZero_GearChartV3.pdf (14.7 KB, 335 views)
Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Lowest I could get with the XI V1 mount (the worst in terms of space) is 3.24 using a 60t spur and 37t pinion, you could get a few more teeth on the zero, but I would say 3.0 is as low as it goes.

XI V2 mount (a few posts up) will let you get down into the low 2s, depending on how big of a pinion you can find. With this the biggest easily adjustable pinion you can get on is a 43, but you can go bigger if you don't mind a bit of trial and error. With the top deck off and front belt removed, it would be pretty easy to adjust the mesh by trial fitting the pinion.

The XI mounts both fit the zero s/zero chassis, you just need to re drill and countersink the motor mount root arm hole 3mm reward.

I got my robinson spur from Feral:

http://www.feralbatteries.com/RW-Rac...ear_p_395.html
Old 09-17-2012, 05:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi! does anyone know if i can use tamiya short springs for our sakura zero s?
Old 09-17-2012, 05:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by kikoy
Hi! does anyone know if i can use tamiya short springs for our sakura zero s?
Sure can.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you sir wollow 86!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ta04evah
I too have recently acquired a Zero S and am waiting on a couple of key upgrades before I proceed to build it.

I'm not sure if it was posted here or not but I'll attach a chart which will show what gearing is possible with the stock/modded/vertical motor mounts.
Personally, I went for the optional vertical motor mount as I'll be using a 21.5 motor & zero timing on the esc.
For a small price the vertical will save you a lot of time when you need to put your motor in or out.

From both what I have seen & read, the Zero S is a very capable car when against other cars 3 times it's price. I'm looking forward to building it and getting it on the track in the near future.

Cheers
Rob.
Rob,

That is a fantastic resource, thank you for finding and sharing it.

It would be great to see the original reference for the gear chart. The .pdf file makes color change references to the motor mount as modded with the * but does not really say under what circumstances or what gearing the mod is required for.

Originally Posted by wollow86
Lowest I could get with the XI V1 mount (the worst in terms of space) is 3.24 using a 60t spur and 37t pinion, you could get a few more teeth on the zero, but I would say 3.0 is as low as it goes.

XI V2 mount (a few posts up) will let you get down into the low 2s, depending on how big of a pinion you can find. With this the biggest easily adjustable pinion you can get on is a 43, but you can go bigger if you don't mind a bit of trial and error. With the top deck off and front belt removed, it would be pretty easy to adjust the mesh by trial fitting the pinion.

The XI mounts both fit the zero s/zero chassis, you just need to re drill and countersink the motor mount root arm hole 3mm reward.

I got my robinson spur from Feral:

http://www.feralbatteries.com/RW-Rac...ear_p_395.html
Intersting idea. Do you think that same idea would hold true with the stock Zero S? I have a 60 tooth spur gear that I can use if it would facilitate me getting into the proper gearing range.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by majicman
That is a fantastic resource, thank you for finding and sharing it.
...thanks for the flowers . The gear chart was my work. I updated it to Version 6 in the meantime (some errors corrected...). Actually there's not only the PDF but also a XLS-Version (both included in the attached ZIP), where you can alter Diff and Center Pulleys according to what you have installed in your car.

The so called "dremel mod" that's mentioned in the charts refers to removing some material from the upper, inner part of the motor mount root arm to allow for larger pinions. There's a kind of edge there, that I dremeled of and some material around it, so I could fit pinions 1 tooth larger in 48dp and 2 teeth larger in 64dp. I had posted a picture somewhere, if you need it I can probably find it...

Greetings,

Christian
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Sakura Gear Chart V6.zip (33.1 KB, 83 views)
Old 09-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

have managed to get 60 spur and 43 pinion (48 pitch) on the sakura
needed to file the spur gear holder to use RW spur and a little bit of dremel work on the vertical motor mount
pics
text explanation

doesnt have any excessive wear and tear with the non plastic parts installed
Old 09-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by skyball
...thanks for the flowers . The gear chart was my work. I updated it to Version 6 in the meantime (some errors corrected...). Actually there's not only the PDF but also a XLS-Version (both included in the attached ZIP), where you can alter Diff and Center Pulleys according to what you have installed in your car.

The so called "dremel mod" that's mentioned in the charts refers to removing some material from the upper, inner part of the motor mount root arm to allow for larger pinions. There's a kind of edge there, that I dremeled of and some material around it, so I could fit pinions 1 tooth larger in 48dp and 2 teeth larger in 64dp. I had posted a picture somewhere, if you need it I can probably find it...

Greetings,

Christian
Christian,

Thanks for putting it all together. If you could find a picture of the mod or point me to the original posted on that would be great.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mingnon
needed to file the spur gear holder to use RW spur and a little bit of dremel work on the vertical motor mount
pics
text explanation

Interesting you had to do that to the spur holder, the rw I got from feral (Linked a few posts back) fit with no mods.

I'd be interested to see your vta setup as well. We are starting up here in Newcastle and ill be using my hybrid. It's not bad on my 21.5 tc setup, but I'd like to see where your at with it.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mingnon
pics
text explanation

Nice, I'll be getting a 60 spur from feral as they have the extra holes in them.
Good to know that the Tamiya pulleys fit, might be able to use some I have laying around.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wollow86
Interesting you had to do that to the spur holder, the rw I got from feral (Linked a few posts back) fit with no mods.

I'd be interested to see your vta setup as well. We are starting up here in Newcastle and ill be using my hybrid. It's not bad on my 21.5 tc setup, but I'd like to see where your at with it.
Setup was kit built. Threaded shocks, 400 shock oil, kit springs. 0.5 deg toe (front). Only thing different was i ran tamiya 416 drive shafts and 417 steel outdrives on the front spool.
5 droop on the front and 6 on the rear.
Camber - treid pretty much everything, and its weird, but i found 0.5deg front camber the best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.