R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #1201
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to competionpark

I got some 87t 64p 3racing spur gears the other day, but the gear adapter will not fit them. What do I need to make them work?
competionpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #1202
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by competionpark View Post
I got some 87t 64p 3racing spur gears the other day, but the gear adapter will not fit them. What do I need to make them work?
I am using 88 tooth gears and i had to use a dremmel to grind the lip of the gear to allow the adapter to fit properly. I loose fit them toegther and outlined to adapter with a sharpie so i knew how much to remove, just be sure you dont cut all the way out to the threads as this will make it easier to strip the gear out.

It does'nt matter if you win by an inch or a mile Winning is Winning!!!!!
jemavk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #1203
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
Whatever. We have had this discussion already. I have a great idea. Lets remove all of the affordable tc chassis from the market and only allow $500 tamiya and x ray chassis to race. That would push me out of rc. With that kind of $$$$$ just to race a toy car? Better spent on my 2 corvettes.
Lets not get dramatic

Quote:
I think you may want to do a little reflecting especially since you regularly race against a handful of these cars. If the sakura wasn't there who would you have to race against? Would you be having any fun if you had 2 xrays and 1 associated to race every weekend? Maybe a new guy would show up with an e10 so you could embarrass him right out of rc.
You know you are completely correct on the price point in which Sakura comes in. There is nothing else on the market and even used the high priced cars sell for more than this and most of the time when buying used you end up with a car driven hard, tweaked, worn out plastics and generally someone else headaches they didn't want anymore.

Quote:
As far as being made in China why don't you flip over your ps3 next time you think about it. Holy **** its made in China. wonder who stole that copyright. There's no law so they must have stolen it. Right?????
This whole statement is just plan stupid. I don't recall stating I had a problem with things made in China. Now a days I think most stuff is made in China even when not marked. Where my issue comes in is lack of respect to copy right laws which allow something to be copied exactly as another.

Put your self in the shoes of say Tamiya, Xray or Associated. Let say you have an issue with a bracket for one of your vettes. You spend 5 years of very hard, dedicated work and all of the sudden it hits you an idea of how to resolve this bracket from breaking, coming loose whatever you just figured it out and you design a new and it works and you make two others for your friends and it works for them. Now you want to get this out to all the vettes and start working on manufacturer this part and you find that its going to cost $20 plus another $5 for packaging and then lets put another $5 in there for your years of work plus time and effort to ship out. So you sell this for a year and everyone loves the product the workmanship is awesome because you are making it at your house with all the attention to detail. But you have already sold to most all the guys that have to have the best of everything and don't care about the cost. Your next level of customers want but just think the price is to high. So what ever the next steps are lets say now you can have the parts manufactured in China for $4. So you can drop your price to reach the next level of buys but then you find walking into an autoparts store the part you worked to design for the past 5 years is on the shelf for $2.50.

Wow that was long winded and I think I could go on but I think where I left it you get the point.

Quote:
By the way tamiya parts are not a direct fit on this car. They require modification. A friend. of mine just tried and they are not a bolt on. As far as parts interchange its nothing new. I've been interchangeing parts on cars for years. Guess what????? its not that hard to put a Chevy alternator on a datsun 240z. Call the copyright police someone in gonna be pissed.
Then that part must have been an Xray design and not Tamiya. I promise you that between Grant and I everything we have broke or wore out have been exact. He has some of my spares and I have some of his.

Not going to respond to the last sentence because its just childish. Damn it I did respond

Quote:
Look at every car and you will find similarities. You take the best from each manufacturer and put it together into one serious car. Look at a lot of the dragsters over the years. A Chrysler hemi engine a Chevy powerglide transmission an a Ford 9 inch differential on a custom frame. Maybe each of these manufacturers should be suing the drag racing industry.
No not at all I don't think that is even the same. I look at it this way. Say Xray comes up with a newly designed shock and it takes 3 seconds off a lap time. Does every other manufacture need to find what it was and simulate that? Hell yes but make it there own. That's not the same as molding a Tamiya outdrive exactly the same to every T. IMO

I think standards are very important. I think if every car had a different screw set and required different motor mounting ways it would flop.

Quote:
Appreciate the fact that 3 racing has made a car that is actually affordable so people can race with you instead of bashing a chassis because you don't like where it is manufactured.
Scott the first half of this sentence is 100% correct. I appreciate 3 racing for trying to make an affordable car that allows new racing to get into the hobby. I have never had an issue with anyone who has bought there cars. You realize my second closest friend at the track is running the 0 and I enjoy hanging with you just as much. I would have a 100% respect and would like them more than the other company's had they just designed there car after the great points of the other cars not made the molds the same or better yet possibly used the same molds.

I don't bash the car I bash the owners of 3 racing for there business practices. Does that sound a little more accurate?

Hope to see you Saturday
Kyosho MP9 TKI3 / Electric / WTF
AE B44.3 / ORCA VXX / D4 7.5
MCSEDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #1204
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by competionpark View Post
I had the same issue with my 3Racing 64P spur gears. I took a small round file to the four holes on the spur to very gently open them up a bit. You have to be careful not to take too much off otherwise you'll end up with an off balanced spur gear.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #1205
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post
Put your money where your mouth is and beat the car.
If not shut up and try to keep up
If you can't keep up with your shimy shimy multi dollar car against a low cost car you might have to pick your brain and wonder if this is the right class to drive in.
regards Roy
Just an FYI, Danny's money is where his mouth is, and he beats the Sakura's pretty much every outing. I have beat him once, but have a lot more loses. Just saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSEDanny View Post
Lets not get dramatic
Pretty sure that boat has sailed...

Quote:
Then that part must have been an Xray design and not Tamiya. I promise you that between Grant and I everything we have broke or wore out have been exact. He has some of my spares and I have some of his.
Some parts require modification, others require none. Not picking sides in this arguement, but my Tamiya 416/417 ECS front axles bolted right in (I am running narrow front hinge pin blocks to be safe, but no modifications necessary), Xray front bumper, Tamiya outdrives and bumper brace, TC5/6 rod ends and ball studs, Axial screws for the diff (hate phillips head), and Tamiya fitment R1Wurks rear axles. I am actually making more significant modifications on my Serpent out of the box then I have made on my Sakura (as far as getting out the dremel and modifying things).

Quote:
No not at all I don't think that is even the same. I look at it this way. Say Xray comes up with a newly designed shock and it takes 3 seconds off a lap time. Does every other manufacture need to find what it was and simulate that? Hell yes but make it there own. That's not the same as molding a Tamiya outdrive exactly the same to every T. IMO

I think standards are very important. I think if every car had a different screw set and required different motor mounting ways it would flop.
I think the prescription drug market is a better example. Your name brands spend the R&D money to develop new drugs and cures, and then generics copy them and distribute at a lower price. Yes there is a market need for it, enough so that it is common practice, but to expect the drug companies that spend the money to like it is another story.

If I showed up at a Corvette event with a vette bodied fiero, I am pretty sure there would be grumbling. Sure, it would be cheaper then a corvette, with the mid engine mount, would probably be a way better handling car as well. But you can't honestly tell me that the Corvette owners would embrace it.

Good, bad, indifferent, just adding my thoughts to it. Not choosing sides.

Quote:
Scott the first half of this sentence is 100% correct. I appreciate 3 racing for trying to make an affordable car that allows new racing to get into the hobby. I have never had an issue with anyone who has bought there cars. You realize my second closest friend at the track is running the 0 and I enjoy hanging with you just as much. I would have a 100% respect and would like them more than the other company's had they just designed there car after the great points of the other cars not made the molds the same or better yet possibly used the same molds.

I don't bash the car I bash the owners of 3 racing for there business practices. Does that sound a little more accurate?

Hope to see you Saturday
Second closest? Pfft, go pit somewhere else hater! I hope your C-Hubs break and your battery goes flat and all your hair falls out and you scratch your LE chassis!

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #1206
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I had the same issue with my 3Racing 64P spur gears. I took a small round file to the four holes on the spur to very gently open them up a bit. You have to be careful not to take too much off otherwise you'll end up with an off balanced spur gear.
There seem to be 2 things that cause the holder not to fit. The hole sizes in the spur (i use my body reamer) and the corners of the holder hitting the raised lip out the outside of the spur. The second issue is harder to fix, requiring removing material from either the spur or holder to fit correctly. Some brand spurs are an issue, others are not. Any narrow spur should not require modification as the width of the teeth is no more then the width of the mounting holes.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #1207
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I wasn't pointing to just one person
I was refering to all 3Racing bashers for hating the brand who sell a cheap car that looks like another brand car.
I own a TRF416X lipo and have owned a Sakura Zero.
If you look at all the brands that are now top runners they all look a like(all 2 belts with batttery on one side) and some parts interchange with one another.
So lets say a C-hub form Xray fits a Tamiya car,should we diss the Xray for making parts that fit another brand?
Should we diss people who make aftermarket parts for not there own brand off car?
If we do the hobby will be even more expensive.
I say live and let live.
Don't burn a brand for making parts that look like other brand parts.
Enjoy the hobby and if you don't like it that you have been beaten by a cheaper car practice more so you can beat the car/driver
This is just my 2 cents

regards Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
Just an FYI, Danny's money is where his mouth is, and he beats the Sakura's pretty much every outing. I have beat him once, but have a lot more loses. Just saying...

Pretty sure that boat has sailed...
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #1208
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post
I wasn't pointing to just one person
I was refering to all 3Racing bashers for hating the brand who sell a cheap car that looks like another brand car.
I own a TRF416X lipo and have owned a Sakura Zero.
If you look at all the brands that are now top runners they all look a like(all 2 belts with batttery on one side) and some parts interchange with one another.
So lets say a C-hub form Xray fits a Tamiya car,should we diss the Xray for making parts that fit another brand?
Should we diss people who make aftermarket parts for not there own brand off car?
If we do the hobby will be even more expensive.
I say live and let live.
Don't burn a brand for making parts that look like other brand parts.
Enjoy the hobby and if you don't like it that you have been beaten by a cheaper car practice more so you can beat the car/driver
This is just my 2 cents

regards Roy
It's all open discussion. I have actually not found any Sakura haters. I know there are a few people that question some of the ethics of 3Racing and some of their pure duplication of parts (compare the spool outdrive kit for a Tamiya 416 and a Sakura, they are identical to the mold marks, just different colors).

I also have yet to see anyone upset about being beaten by a Sakura, any more then a TC3 or other "value line" car. The issue here is copyrights and/or the lacks of it, not just compatible parts.

Not taking sides, just trying to clarify through the drama.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #1209
Tech Apprentice

I have one of these coming in the mail , should be here within 3 weeks.. should I be concerned that after reading through this post that most of the important parts that need to be upgraded are out of stock in most places?

Pretty much is this car going to just die out and be discontinued? I'm very concerned as this is going to be my main racer with my new Sprint 2 as a backup.
Theas1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #1210
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theas1an View Post
I have one of these coming in the mail , should be here within 3 weeks.. should I be concerned that after reading through this post that most of the important parts that need to be upgraded are out of stock in most places?

Pretty much is this car going to just die out and be discontinued? I'm very concerned as this is going to be my main racer with my new Sprint 2 as a backup.
The car runs fine right out of the box and parts are easily available online. There are a few upgrades that make life easier such as the vertical motor mount, spur gear adapters and the 19T layshaft pulleys, but they aren't really required.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #1211
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
The car runs fine right out of the box and parts are easily available online. There are a few upgrades that make life easier such as the vertical motor mount, spur gear adapters and the 19T layshaft pulleys, but they aren't really required.
That is very reassuring , I clicked on a couple of the links earlier on in the post and most were out of stock , do you know of a couple of sites where these parts are stocked usually?
Theas1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #1212
Tech Champion

Quote:
That is very reassuring , I clicked on a couple of the links earlier on in the post and most were out of stock , do you know of a couple of sites where these parts are stocked usually?
I've been using eBay. Just do a search for Sakura and you'll see pages of parts. There is also TQ Racing, RC Mushroon, RCMart (Dinball on eBay).

The few things that are out of stock right now are the alloy steering parts (SAK-10) and the layshaft with spacers (SAK-06). Everything else is online.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #1213
Tech Master

I think Grant said it best. I don't hate the brand, company, car and especially for what they are doing for the hobby. I don't care for there ethics. And for that I won't look down on a single person that buys the car, asks for help with the car or anything else. Yes I think the designers are running out of ideas to improve the car which makes them all very similar with basically the same available adjustments.

I think parts availablity from 3 Racing is right up at the top. XRAY in america (RC America) is probably the worse with nearly every single part out of stock. For that alone making this car a good choice.

Steve don't ever be ashamed of your choice in car purchase. For all the reasons you chose that car enjoy it. No matter which car it was still very expensive for a hobby right now. There will always be guys that say run this or that because that is what I run. Those are the guys to be carefully of especially if they have never driven anything else. Because they drove another brand at the track and did not like the way it handled is not valid advise. It's not often you find two drivers that like the same exact setup. I have been through a lot of cars over the past 8 months and will straight up tell you I did not prefer one over another based on handling. The only advice I have is that the Tamiya 417 is not the car for me running on an indoor track with boards. Hit the board once and you can bet its going to cost you one C-Hub. 10 C-Hubs in 2 months is not the way I wish to spend my money.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #1214
Tech Master

Quote:
I've been using eBay. Just do a search for Sakura and you'll see pages of parts. There is also TQ Racing, RC Mushroon, RCMart (Dinball on eBay).

The few things that are out of stock right now are the alloy steering parts (SAK-10) and the layshaft with spacers (SAK-06). Everything else is online.
Steve and Theas1n check this place out as well http://www.hotshothobby.com/main.sc if you don't see what you are looking for give them a call. They are just getting all the inventory added online. They have a gigantic wall of all 3 Racing stuff. Never thought I would see the day another manufacturer would have a wall larger than associated
Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #1215
Tech Elite

Quote:

The car is I think more popular then 3Racing expected it to be, and they only produced so many of certain parts. You have noticed that the key upgrades that most people do are out of stock, and there is a reason...they are the key upgrades. Motor mount and 19t center pulley make spur gear changes sooo much easier, but neither are required. If you race it, you will need aluminum hexes as the plastic ones will strip out fairly quickly, especially if running a faster class. 5mm is stock. Xray and Tamiya ones bolt on as well as some other manufacturers.

The one item i highly recommend is the Xray T2/T3 hard bumper. It is a bolt on, and by far the best investment made in my Sakura. I have recently replaced the front end plastics on my car, all of them, because they finally wore out. I have never broken a front end part otherwise (minus stripping out some outdrives with the spool). And as Danny and Scott can both atest to, I hit a lot of things, so it is not clean driving that keeps my car intact.

Quote:
Steve and Theas1n check this place out as well http://www.hotshothobby.com/main.sc if you don't see what you are looking for give them a call. They are just getting all the inventory added online. They have a gigantic wall of all 3 Racing stuff. Never thought I would see the day another manufacturer would have a wall larger than associated
I agree with that. I can tell you as of last night, they did not have those pieces in stock, as they are on backorder from 3Racing, and appear to be sold out across the country. HotShots is US though, so when they get things in, they can also get them shipped quickly which is very nice. Nicer for me as I can drive down there and pick them up too.