R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #916
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Default

Hi Guys

Just started playing RC again after 20+years when Tamiya Wild Willy was selling like hot cakes. Bought a used TT01D for my son but the handling was crappy and unpredictable.

Been reading this thread (from page 1) before buying the Sakura S before Christmas, started building it once i managed to buy some upgrade parts like 19T gear, Pinion Spur 27T for my Yeah Racing 9T Brushless motor, Vertical Mount since there is so many great advice on this upgrades. Added

I am very happy with the build quality of the kit as well as the hop-ups availability, had to let my hands rest 1 day before continuing the build which finished on New Years day. Tested the car on track yesterday and it handle beautifully even on tamiya semi-slick tyres. it was light years away in handling compare to the TT01 which is tube frame. Planning on getting slicks soon.

I only have one problem which is the gear diff leaking oil. I have tried opening and refit it again but still the same (both front & rear). I plan of using heavier diff oil for the front but worry it may leak again....any input on how it should be done?

One last question, there is a gear diff bearing cover adjustment adjustment to tighten the belt, should the setting be the same for both left & right or there is a method/technique to setting it up properly.

This is my first touring car so im hoping to learn more about setup. Cheers guys!!
driftmeister8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #917
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 5,632
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftmeister8 View Post
Hi Guys

Just started playing RC again after 20+years when Tamiya Wild Willy was selling like hot cakes. Bought a used TT01D for my son but the handling was crappy and unpredictable.

Been reading this thread (from page 1) before buying the Sakura S before Christmas, started building it once i managed to buy some upgrade parts like 19T gear, Pinion Spur 27T for my Yeah Racing 9T Brushless motor, Vertical Mount since there is so many great advice on this upgrades. Added

I am very happy with the build quality of the kit as well as the hop-ups availability, had to let my hands rest 1 day before continuing the build which finished on New Years day. Tested the car on track yesterday and it handle beautifully even on tamiya semi-slick tyres. it was light years away in handling compare to the TT01 which is tube frame. Planning on getting slicks soon.

I only have one problem which is the gear diff leaking oil. I have tried opening and refit it again but still the same (both front & rear). I plan of using heavier diff oil for the front but worry it may leak again....any input on how it should be done?

One last question, there is a gear diff bearing cover adjustment adjustment to tighten the belt, should the setting be the same for both left & right or there is a method/technique to setting it up properly.

This is my first touring car so im hoping to learn more about setup. Cheers guys!!
Gear diffs will eventually leak fluid no matter what you do. I used Ofna 50,000wt oil to make my diffs pretty firm and so far no leaks. The bearing holders on each diff must be in the same position to each other. I find the dot on each bearing holder to be hard to see so I used some white paint to highlight them. Now I can easily see if the bearing holders are the same side to side.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #918
Tech Adept
 
redbarton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 230
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

My Zero S saw its first track day this last Saturday. I was on my way to a 3rd place in the Main until I had some body tucking issues. It drove pretty well on high bite carpet using the set up in the back of the manual. I can't wait to get it out for another run next weekend!

As for necessary upgrades....

TURNBUCKLES, TURNBUCKLES, TURNBUCKLES!

This is the one area they really went cheap on.
redbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #919
Tech Elite
 
Big Midget's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lawrence, Ks
Posts: 4,314
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

I'm thinking about buying a Zero. Just wandering is there any parts support in the United States?
__________________
Dee & Mee Hobbies
Fastlane Raceway-wwwfastlanehobbies.com
Topeka On-Road Racing-Jake's R/C Pro-Am Topeka,Ks
www.ZigPhoto.com,RickyRacer Lidz,Absolute Tattoo,Fuzzy Dice Decals
Big Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #920
Tech Addict
 
FauxMako's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Midget View Post
I'm thinking about buying a Zero. Just wandering is there any parts support in the United States?
TQ RC Racing http://www.tqrcracing.com
HKS Hobby http://www.hkshobby.com

They both seem to go through stock pretty quickly and it seems like they are always out of stock on the part I need when I need it.

I order a lot from rcplatform in HK on eBay. Shipping is reasonable and takes about a week. http://myworld.ebay.com/rcplatform/

My local track has started stocking 3Racing parts since we've got at least a half dozen Sakura Zero's running there now (and a bunch of FGX's). Didn't seem to be much of an issue to get reseller status.
__________________
Mike

3 3Racing Sakura Zeros: Mustang Boss VTA // Lexus LFA USGT // MazdaSpeed 6 TC
Mini M03 & M05
Life is better with a soundtrack
FauxMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #921
Tech Elite
 
Big Midget's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lawrence, Ks
Posts: 4,314
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Thanks, any recommended or must needed upgrades to the stock kit?
__________________
Dee & Mee Hobbies
Fastlane Raceway-wwwfastlanehobbies.com
Topeka On-Road Racing-Jake's R/C Pro-Am Topeka,Ks
www.ZigPhoto.com,RickyRacer Lidz,Absolute Tattoo,Fuzzy Dice Decals
Big Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #922
Tech Addict
 
FauxMako's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Midget View Post
Thanks, any recommended or must needed upgrades to the stock kit?
Covered about a dozen times.

19T pullies and alum spur gear holder
vertical motor mount

After that it gets down to niceties instead of necessities.
__________________
Mike

3 3Racing Sakura Zeros: Mustang Boss VTA // Lexus LFA USGT // MazdaSpeed 6 TC
Mini M03 & M05
Life is better with a soundtrack
FauxMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #923
Tech Elite
 
Big Midget's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lawrence, Ks
Posts: 4,314
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Thanks again for the help. Gonna get one coming probably today.
__________________
Dee & Mee Hobbies
Fastlane Raceway-wwwfastlanehobbies.com
Topeka On-Road Racing-Jake's R/C Pro-Am Topeka,Ks
www.ZigPhoto.com,RickyRacer Lidz,Absolute Tattoo,Fuzzy Dice Decals
Big Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #924
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Grand Portage, MN
Posts: 1,362
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Midget View Post
Thanks again for the help. Gonna get one coming probably today.
A good Idea is to read this thread thru. Atleast the last 10 pages as all the info you need is there
__________________
______________________________________________
Jason Deadman

I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #925
Tech Elite
 
orcadigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Gear diffs will eventually leak fluid no matter what you do. I used Ofna 50,000wt oil to make my diffs pretty firm and so far no leaks. The bearing holders on each diff must be in the same position to each other. I find the dot on each bearing holder to be hard to see so I used some white paint to highlight them. Now I can easily see if the bearing holders are the same side to side.
I am not sure about using different diff fluids for the purpose of controlling leaks... It is a tuning tool, and the cars run vastly different with different oils front and rear.

Here is the link to 3Racing's guide on building diffs.

http://os.3racing.hk/articles.php?articles_key=133

Had one leak issue in the first diff I built, but it was due to not seating the gasket properly. I have 5 diffs ranging from 100k to 800 weight with no leaks, and I know Mike on here is running shock oil in his rear diff without leaking issues. The best recommendation I can make is to use something other then phillips head screws.
__________________
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #926
Tech Elite
 
orcadigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftmeister8 View Post
Hi Guys

One last question, there is a gear diff bearing cover adjustment adjustment to tighten the belt, should the setting be the same for both left & right or there is a method/technique to setting it up properly.

This is my first touring car so im hoping to learn more about setup. Cheers guys!!
Yes the setting should be the same left and right, but not necessarily front and back. You want to run the belts as loose as possible without them skipping. The more power you have, the tighter you have to run them. It is not an exact science, and you have a lot of acceptable ranges of belt tightness.
__________________
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #927
Tech Elite
 
orcadigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxMako View Post
TQ RC Racing http://www.tqrcracing.com
HKS Hobby http://www.hkshobby.com

They both seem to go through stock pretty quickly and it seems like they are always out of stock on the part I need when I need it.

I order a lot from rcplatform in HK on eBay. Shipping is reasonable and takes about a week. http://myworld.ebay.com/rcplatform/

My local track has started stocking 3Racing parts since we've got at least a half dozen Sakura Zero's running there now (and a bunch of FGX's). Didn't seem to be much of an issue to get reseller status.
Mike's tocal track is also selling 3 Racing parts online as well (tisk tisk).

Hot Shots RC
http://www.hotshothobby.com/3Racing-Parts_c32.htm

I also know they are due to get a massive stock order this week of parts.

I will also add that HKS has been nothing but terrible experiences for me, and I would not recommend them in any way, shape, or form.
__________________
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #928
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks so much for the prompt feedback & advice. Love this forum...

I'm going to try different diff settings for the both front & rear. Just added the belt tensioner after seeing the belt moving upwards at full revs on my 9T BL. Cannot imagine it sawing one of the wires....

Just wondering would fitting a fixed diff for the front be a better choice than changing oil type? Would Maintenance be lesser and easier for my son to learn driving it? The cost of the part is roughly the same as a branded diff oil.
driftmeister8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #929
Tech Addict
 
FauxMako's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
Mike's tocal track is also selling 3 Racing parts online as well (tisk tisk).

Hot Shots RC
http://www.hotshothobby.com/3Racing-Parts_c32.htm

I also know they are due to get a massive stock order this week of parts.

I will also add that HKS has been nothing but terrible experiences for me, and I would not recommend them in any way, shape, or form.
Learn something new every day. I didn't know about the online store.

Diff build instructions from 3Racing:
http://os.3racing.hk/articles.php?articles_key=133
__________________
Mike

3 3Racing Sakura Zeros: Mustang Boss VTA // Lexus LFA USGT // MazdaSpeed 6 TC
Mini M03 & M05
Life is better with a soundtrack
FauxMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #930
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
I am not sure about using different diff fluids for the purpose of controlling leaks... It is a tuning tool, and the cars run vastly different with different oils front and rear.

Here is the link to 3Racing's guide on building diffs.

Had one leak issue in the first diff I built, but it was due to not seating the gasket properly. I have 5 diffs ranging from 100k to 800 weight with no leaks, and I know Mike on here is running shock oil in his rear diff without leaking issues. The best recommendation I can make is to use something other then phillips head screws.
Thanks so much on the guide...notice the manual didn't specify using any anti-wear grease nor was there any provided in the kit. Looks like I hv to buy The grease & also try Ultra High Viscosity Gear Diff Oil 3RAC-GS03 for the front before getting the fixed diff.

Plan of building another Sakura S for myself to race along with my son. Almost similar hop-ups but slightly different setups & setting. Planning on putting 13.5T BL, any recommendation of spur sizing? The last one I bought is 27 to match the 9T BL, recommended by the shop guy. Appreciate some advice on how to plan the spur size.

Thanks in advance...Cheers!
driftmeister8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sakura Zero - New Touring Car! InZane Electric On-Road 1355 02-14-2014 05:14 PM
New to the RC scene...need some help! Jmoney12 Rookie Zone 13 06-15-2010 10:21 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:58 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0