Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
3Racing Sakura Zero S >

3Racing Sakura Zero S

Like Tree2Likes

3Racing Sakura Zero S

Old 09-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

all you really need is the aluminum pulley holder + 20t pulleys. as the stock plastic all in one is very sloppy.

80/30 gearing is a good start for a silver can.

get spare arms and knuckles just in case.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You won't fit the motor mount to the standard kit without modifying the upper deck, so if that ain't your thing stick to the STD mount, so long as you pre mount your motor onto the mount before attaching the upper deck, you won't have too much problem getting it all in.

I got the center pulley but changed to 19t to allow more slack in the belts as they are REALLY tight out of the box. Note this changes FDR also which affects your gearing calcs.

Shocks are worth getting too. IMO.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:21 AM
Tech Rookie

This sakura zero is my first belt driven car. How to properly set the belt tension? Is there any tips for that. For example if I pince the belt what must be the distance? Thanks.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Depends on how you have the car.
Did you allready put the 19 teeth pulleys on the car?
If not, the rear belt will always be to tight(front also)
If you have the 19 teeth pulleys the you should adjust the belts so that the just don't skip over the teeth of the diff and central pulleys.
This will result in a very free moving car with no drag.
Check every 3 or 4 batteries the tension so you won't get any skipping and adjust accordingly.
I have a very loose front belt but it isn't skipping at all.
Rear is a bit tighter as it is shorter and more prone to skipping because of weight and power applied.

regards Roy

Originally Posted by Stef71
This sakura zero is my first belt driven car. How to properly set the belt tension? Is there any tips for that. For example if I pince the belt what must be the distance? Thanks.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BCZero
The 4+ shock towers basically jack the mount points up 4mm to fit the standard TC shocks - i.e TRF Tamiya, Xray, HPI etc - if you dont plan on using those shocks it doesnt matter, but if you already have a set its probably cheaper to buy teh shock towers at $20 than to buy new shocks...then again the sakura zero shocks are only about $20 anyway, so its individual choice really.

Heres a link so you can see what i mean:

bitDOTly/n809Yj - replace DOT with a .

Cant post links so used a shortener, but its just a link to 3racings site
Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok
the longer shocks provides more droop
Originally Posted by cannon
Errr .. not really. We got 3 Racing to make the +4 towers and the reason was to allow the use of longer TRF style shocks with normal length springs
Originally Posted by Madulla
I needed the 4+ towers when I switched from 3 Racing springs to use AE springs(which are longer), I also use the -1 spring base. The towers are only needed when you use TC shocks or springs.
Thanks for the info...I now know that I wont be needing the 4+ towers.

This is my first venture into TC cars and Ive built a VTA car so lets see what happens..These are slower than what you guys probably run but the appeal to me is the realistic bodies and a controlled class.

I have 20 years of off road experience and thought that I would try this and come out of the cold this winter!

I will undoubtedly be asking more questions in the future and I really appreciate your help.

Thanks, Dave
Old 09-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
Depends on how you have the car.
Did you allready put the 19 teeth pulleys on the car?
If not, the rear belt will always be to tight(front also)
If you have the 19 teeth pulleys the you should adjust the belts so that the just don't skip over the teeth of the diff and central pulleys.
This will result in a very free moving car with no drag.
Check every 3 or 4 batteries the tension so you won't get any skipping and adjust accordingly.
I have a very loose front belt but it isn't skipping at all.
Rear is a bit tighter as it is shorter and more prone to skipping because of weight and power applied.

regards Roy
Yes I did install the 19t pulleys thanks to your advice, but i don't how loose must be the belt. To give you an indication, my marks on the diffs are both at -1 counterclockwise. (5 o'clock)
If I pince the middle of the belt it goes from 3 to 2 cm
I'm afraid that a loose belt would touch the chassis
Old 09-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

try 3-5mm of slop
Old 09-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stef71
Yes I did install the 19t pulleys thanks to your advice, but i don't how loose must be the belt. To give you an indication, my marks on the diffs are both at -1 counterclockwise. (5 o'clock)
If I pince the middle of the belt it goes from 3 to 2 cm
I'm afraid that a loose belt would touch the chassis
It really all depends on how much power you are going to put into your car. For stock, VTA (25.5 to 17.5) Lots of slop in the belt is fine as long as it dones not skip teeth either under power or braking.

Now, for Mod or boostedI'd run it a bit tighter but it's all about (or aboot since I'm canadian) personal prefrence
Old 09-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jdeadman
It really all depends on how much power you are going to put into your car.
Your help is really appreciated, I run a 9t ezrun, do you have a concrete example of what tension do you use.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Tech Rookie

The Sakura Zero S looks very promising. What would be a decent fairly light weight esc to run with my Reedy?
Old 10-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by skyball
If you want to see more possible combinations, just download my attached gear ratio charts. In the Excel version you can also change the pulley and spur gear values...
I just found a mistake in my gear charts and uploaded a new version (see quoted post above)...

Christian
Old 10-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Can anyone tell me a good spring set to use (besides the 3racing) without using the 4+ shock towers?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I believe the Tamiya TRF for Mini (M05 etc) fit fine without the +4mm shocks
Old 10-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by skyball
...Edit 2: Following our discussion in the Sakura XI thread and own trials I corrected the available pinion ranges. Also using different background colors for different models (the XI seems to offer less space for the pinion than the Zero) now.
Another update to my gear charts, see quote above...

Christian
Old 10-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sorry for not reading all the previous posts and maybe this was already mentionned, here is my question, do you use the same front belt when you change gear diff pulley from 37,38 and 39 teeth to 40 teeth? or are they different belts for this.

I explain why, i am using 40 rear diff on TC6 with no problem, but when I changed the front diff to a 39 it did not match well with my belt.

Thanks for your answer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.