R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #331
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

In case anyone is trying to get to the proper gearing on this car for a USVTA car using a 25.5 it's not an easy process on this car. I figure I would save everyone else from making the same mistakes I did to get it to work.

First, if you want to use a 21.5 or 25.5 motor, you are going to need the vertical motor mount (SAK-66/PK). Don't even bother with the stock setup. I haven't found any small enough spur gears that had holes for the horizontal motor mount.

The 3racing website and a few people here expressed that it is mandatory that you use SAK-38/WO Soft upper deck with this, which is true, however, the car comes with the soft upper deck, so you do NOT need to buy another upper deck. I don't know why I assumed the "soft" upper deck was aftermarket and not stock, but I was wrong, and I ordered that part with the vertical motor mount. You don't need to at all, as it is the same one you already have. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way.

Anyway, I am used to having small spurs and large pinions for VTA spec racing, and the small spurs would not come close to the pinions when the motor was in the closest position to the spur. Everything I had in my box was either too large or too small to work. I wound up in a trial by error experimentation with expensive spur gears to get the right mesh and alignment.

So the absolute smallest 64p sour you should even try is an 83t gear. With that and a 25.5t spec motor, I can get a 40t pinion on and meshed properly to get a 4.040 FDR on the car with a 37t pulley on the diffs and a 19t pulley on the spur (not stock). I could probably get a 39t to work, but it would be REALLY close. Anything larger should work fine.

I would recommend at least a 85t spur for proper mesh and alignment on a spec car using anything 21.5 or 25.5. The 37t/19t pulley setup helps a lot in getting the FDR in the right window.

Hope this helps someone else avoid the expense and time wasted that finally got me to the right solution.

doug
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #332
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarehead View Post
In case anyone is trying to get to the proper gearing on this car for a USVTA car using a 25.5 it's not an easy process on this car. I figure I would save everyone else from making the same mistakes I did to get it to work.

First, if you want to use a 21.5 or 25.5 motor, you are going to need the vertical motor mount (SAK-66/PK). Don't even bother with the stock setup. I haven't found any small enough spur gears that had holes for the horizontal motor mount.

The 3racing website and a few people here expressed that it is mandatory that you use SAK-38/WO Soft upper deck with this, which is true, however, the car comes with the soft upper deck, so you do NOT need to buy another upper deck. I don't know why I assumed the "soft" upper deck was aftermarket and not stock, but I was wrong, and I ordered that part with the vertical motor mount. You don't need to at all, as it is the same one you already have. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way.

Anyway, I am used to having small spurs and large pinions for VTA spec racing, and the small spurs would not come close to the pinions when the motor was in the closest position to the spur. Everything I had in my box was either too large or too small to work. I wound up in a trial by error experimentation with expensive spur gears to get the right mesh and alignment.

So the absolute smallest 64p sour you should even try is an 83t gear. With that and a 25.5t spec motor, I can get a 40t pinion on and meshed properly to get a 4.040 FDR on the car with a 37t pulley on the diffs and a 19t pulley on the spur (not stock). I could probably get a 39t to work, but it would be REALLY close. Anything larger should work fine.

I would recommend at least a 85t spur for proper mesh and alignment on a spec car using anything 21.5 or 25.5. The 37t/19t pulley setup helps a lot in getting the FDR in the right window.

Hope this helps someone else avoid the expense and time wasted that finally got me to the right solution.

doug
Thank you!!!
manthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #333
Tech Apprentice

Will the 3racing spur gears work on the Zero S ?

Was making another order from tamiya model and they carry them.

http://www.tamiya-model.com/shop/3ra...06.html?page=2
Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #334
Tech Fanatic

sure as long as you dont go above 80t 48p or 108t 64p or they will hit the rear diff pulley

you might go few teeth up if you sand the pulley a bit.
Sakura Zero S - LRP Quantum, Saturn 20T
KoPropo Eurus
wallot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #335
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallot View Post
sure as long as you dont go above 80t 48p or 108t 64p or they will hit the rear diff pulley

you might go few teeth up if you sand the pulley a bit.
Thank you. Gonna try a few of them in 64p.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #336
Tech Fanatic

Went to my first 1/10 TC race (always been an offroad guy) with my new Sakura Zero S this weekend and I was pleasantly surprised how well it handled with stock setup with just few small tweaks (20T brushed motor)

4k front diff oil
1.5 degree front camber, bit less front toe in

the biggest pain was changing pinions so the vertical motor mount is a must I think

also the top bulkhead screw holes are easily stripped after several removals of the top deck so I am upgrading to the aluminum bulkheads.

The suspension arms developed a bit of play so i think i will need to add 0.5mm spacers to the standard 1mm+1mm (i have aluminum mounts already on the car)

The stock plastic pulleys on the spur gear are quite wobbly so i upgraded to the standard sakura ones.

I really like the stock shocks as with some care they are very smooth and dont leak and i dont like threaded shocks as spacers are guarantee for equal preload.

after switching to the vertical motor mount with the new top deck and belt swap I did a small mod to the battery mount. i used 2 Hot Bodies belt tension posts from 3 racing as they are very cheap to limit battery movement. works very well.

With the sakura pulleys and belt tension post the drivetrain is much smoother.

I hope the chassis will stay competitive when I move to faster class as I dont like the standard tape for securing batteries if I end up using the narrow chassis (based on the specs it is like 50g lighter than the FRP one)

3Racing Sakura Zero S-sakura.jpg

and the race went very well. TQ and win for Sakura
3Racing Sakura Zero S-z_finale_04.jpg
KoPropo Eurus
Old 01-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #337
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Went to my first 1/10 TC race (always been an offroad guy) with my new Sakura Zero S this weekend and I was pleasantly surprised how well it handled with stock setup with just few small tweaks (20T brushed motor)

4k front diff oil
1.5 degree front camber, bit less front toe in

the biggest pain was changing pinions so the vertical motor mount is a must I think

also the top bulkhead screw holes are easily stripped after several removals of the top deck so I am upgrading to the aluminum bulkheads.

The suspension arms developed a bit of play so i think i will need to add 0.5mm spacers to the standard 1mm+1mm (i have aluminum mounts already on the car)

The stock plastic pulleys on the spur gear are quite wobbly so i upgraded to the standard sakura ones.

I really like the stock shocks as with some care they are very smooth and dont leak and i dont like threaded shocks as spacers are guarantee for equal preload.

after switching to the vertical motor mount with the new top deck and belt swap I did a small mod to the battery mount. i used 2 Hot Bodies belt tension posts from 3 racing as they are very cheap to limit battery movement. works very well.

With the sakura pulleys and belt tension post the drivetrain is much smoother.

I hope the chassis will stay competitive when I move to faster class as I dont like the standard tape for securing batteries if I end up using the narrow chassis (based on the specs it is like 50g lighter than the FRP one)

Attachment 695319

and the race went very well. TQ and win for Sakura
Attachment 695323
Congrats ! Excited to hear the car went well for you.
What fluid did you run in the rear ?
Carpet or Asphault ?

Got the car last week and still waiting on a few shiney pieces before I put it together. Looking at the parts im very satisfied with the quality and look forward to running this thing in the spring.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #338
Tech Fanatic

carpet.

LRP CPX tires

rear diff was stock 2k

and I used 4mm aluminum hexes to make the car bit more narrow
KoPropo Eurus

Last edited by wallot; 01-20-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:52 AM   #339
Tech Rookie

Hi, I'm newbies here. Nice to meet you guy. Now I looking to get a new ride for drifting and found this unbelievable price zero s. Actually I plan to buy Tam VDF but it's sold out due to limited number. (-_-"")

After looking at structure it's possible for CS Mod. But I'm not sure on the weight balance so I looking for advise and discuss.

I will fly to HK at March and will take it if it could work.

Could you advise the spur / pinion size if I put 8.5T BL Motor in.
Showbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:16 AM   #340
Tech Initiate

to Wallot: congrats! I saw photos from Kalbien, the track was amazing
fotko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #341
Tech Fanatic

with my 5200mah battery (weights about 310g) the car has perfect left/right balance without need for additional weights
KoPropo Eurus
Old 01-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #342
Tech Rookie

Quote:
with my 5200mah battery (weights about 310g) the car has perfect left/right balance without need for additional weights
I saw 3 kind of weight balance hop up from 3racing and wondered if zero s doesn't need lipo balancer.
Showbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #343
Tech Fanatic

it depends on the weight of the lipos you plan to use
KoPropo Eurus
Old 01-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #344
Tech Apprentice

Finally got to run my car yesterday and have to say what a pleasure to drive it is coming from a tc3.

There was no racing but in practice I faster by a whole secound with this car compared to my old gear.

Thanks for the help and I hope this car catches on. Really a nice kit for the money and will proably have to build one for my son now
Old 01-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #345
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Center Pulley compatibility

Hello im wondering if the Sakura Zero center pulley 22T is compatible fitting with the Xray T3 ?

Regards
Ken
snowmiu19 is offline   Reply With Quote