R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #3376
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjwolfpacker View Post
You've been a huge help.

So, does this sound like a decent starting point?

FDR of ~4.26 for 17.5 blinky TC class. Will likely run the D3.5 17.5 with the timing advanced. (Or do I want a higher/lower FDR? You mentioned 3.5-5.0 range)

Current setup:
D3.5 17.5
Pinion - 33
Spur - 74
Diff gears - 38t
Pulley - 20t

FDR=1.9*2.24=4.26
looks great . it depends on your track
run it for a couple min and check your heat
if i havnt said this all rdy make sure you get a new servo saver.

by the way get a fan on the motor to help with heat
TeamThibault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #3377
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks for the confirmation. I dont get to go to the track very often due to having a 6 month old kiddo, so just want to make sure i'm in the ballpark before I get there and can make the most of my time there!

I picked up a XRAY servo saver today. Didnt even bother with the one in the sakura kit
xjwolfpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #3378
Tech Adept

One last dumb question for now...

It doesnt seem that they supply large o-rings to seal the differential halves together? Just a "rubber pad"? There's not even anything in the instructions about adding o-rings.

I assembled according to instructions, and they dont seem to be leaking, but i'm reading elsewhere about o-rings being used.

Think i'm ok with just the rubber pad? Are others using o-rings somehow as well as the rubber pad? Or in place of the rubber pad?
Old 08-14-2015, 09:51 AM   #3379
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjwolfpacker View Post
One last dumb question for now...

It doesnt seem that they supply large o-rings to seal the differential halves together? Just a "rubber pad"? There's not even anything in the instructions about adding o-rings.

I assembled according to instructions, and they dont seem to be leaking, but i'm reading elsewhere about o-rings being used.

Think i'm ok with just the rubber pad? Are others using o-rings somehow as well as the rubber pad? Or in place of the rubber pad?
The out half shaft. On the inside needs small o ring on each side but the two case halfs take one black seal. On the Xi sport it has two seals.
When I build my diff I put it to gether first with no oil and sand diff case where the screws go into. To make sure it's flat
TeamThibault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #3380
Tech Adept

HOLY COW. SO I pretty much finished putting everything together last night, and even with a 72t spur gear, it's absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to mount a motor in the motor mount and set a gear mesh with pinion/spur. You cant get the second screw into the motor because the spur gear is in the way, much less tighten it down once you get the pinion/spur mesh right. WTF was 3racing thinking when they designed this? You basically HAVE to use like a 66t spur, yet they only provide an 80t.

I had read that it was tight, and have a vertical mount on the way, but DAMN. I thought I could at least get a motor mounted with a 72spur, even if it took a little bit of effort. But this is just pretty much impossible!

I realize it's a $50 kit, but c'mon!
Old 08-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #3381
Tech Adept

Ok, so I got the vertical motor mount installed, as well as the 19t pulley.

I used the 19t pulley from the Xi. What I found though, was that the spur gear shaft from the Xi is not the same length as the Zero S. It is just slightly longer.

And when I mounted the 19t pulley onto the shaft that came with my Zero S, it seems the pulley isnt quite as wide as the stock 21(?)T pulley, so I had to use 2 additional washers/spacers so that the spur gear didnt slide left/right on the shaft. So now it has 2 spacers on each side of the spur instead of the standard 1 spacer on each side. Is this normal?
Old 08-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #3382
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes. Shimming the shaft is normal, as this was the first touring car made by 3racing and they had some teething issues. Sorry, I totally forgot about this and completely took the shimming of shaft for granted.

I also remember mounting the diffs backwards/opposite in order to create more "working room" in the rear bulkhead.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #3383
Tech Adept

Default Sak-45

Anyone know where I can find Sak-45 in stock? (Stabilizer mounting kit)

Looks like absolutely everyone is sold out.

Or anyone have an extra set they'd be willing to sell me?!

**EDIT**
Nevermind. Hobbyking had them in stock for their "TD10". They were out of stock last week though. Now I just have to wait for shipping from HK...

Last edited by xjwolfpacker; 08-29-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #3384
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

are the parts for this car and the XI Dead? I need an alumn front bulkhead SAK-31 All sites have it out of stock
danny325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #3385
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

http://www.edamhobby.com/product-det...30909-020611#p

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:48 PM   #3386
Tech Initiate

Thought ill give has help for people finding parts in AUS go to topgunhobbies they deal with this and even have it on there front page located in Sydney aus Rouse Hill ,they got parts to me with in 3 working days damn fast .and good quality ,hobbie king has parts as well tho Global warehouse and are of plastic ,hope this helps out. Also some 1 saying shimming on the shaft i also place 2 and 2 .It's very easy to work on this car .

1 question tho the steering is a bit slopy im still yet to get the aluminum steering set to install.Carefull with that steering shaft as it can strip.go gentle.Ive also placed a few shimms to stop slop on steering but to very little aid.
DjManeyecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #3387
Tech Regular

It just got to my attention that Hobbyking sells it under a different name for 70$ - seems quite unreal
man1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:11 AM   #3388
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by man1ac View Post
It just got to my attention that Hobbyking sells it under a different name for 70$ - seems quite unreal
yes the Turnigy TD10 .
DjManeyecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:06 AM   #3389
Tech Regular

So a good first step into the Touring Car game? (Just for parking lots and fun races) Just read about an article in which a guy raced it and said it can be as good as 90% of the way more expensive TC Cars.
I think I am going to try a Turnigy Combo as well. Anyone recommendations?
I would go with a Turnigy 13.5T and a Turnigy 80A ESC
Or I could go with the 120A and 8.5T Trackstar - but I think this car will be WAY too fast for a TC beginner

Any ideas on what pinion?
man1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:13 AM   #3390
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by man1ac View Post
So a good first step into the Touring Car game? (Just for parking lots and fun races) Just read about an article in which a guy raced it and said it can be as good as 90% of the way more expensive TC Cars.
I think I am going to try a Turnigy Combo as well. Anyone recommendations?

Or I could go with the 120A and 8.5T Trackstar - but I think this car will be WAY too fast for a TC beginner

Any ideas on what pinion?
Have a look also on Sakura XI Sport, which is a much more modern version. If you want to race then the extra few bucks are definitely worth it over the Zero. The XI sport can also be upgraded with Sakura Ultimate parts. And yes it can be competitive up to a certain level where the result is more about not crashing than being ultra fast. Once you reach a certain level of being consistent and precise in your driving, than you will have to move on to a better chassis.
perzeus is offline   Reply With Quote