R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 AM   #271
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Everyone having issues with spur gears and pinion access makes me wonder what they were thinking when they designed and tested this car. Did they NOT foresee this issue? I'm still waiting on my new motor mount and upper deck to arrive and can't (won't) really race at all without it. For as much as pinions are changed, there is no way I'm taking apart the whole drive system to guess at the motor location for proper mesh.

I love the Sakura cars, but this issue is absolutely ridiculous for 2010.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #272
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarehead View Post
Everyone having issues with spur gears and pinion access makes me wonder what they were thinking when they designed and tested this car. Did they NOT foresee this issue? I'm still waiting on my new motor mount and upper deck to arrive and can't (won't) really race at all without it. For as much as pinions are changed, there is no way I'm taking apart the whole drive system to guess at the motor location for proper mesh.

I love the Sakura cars, but this issue is absolutely ridiculous for 2010.
Can't really blame them... this car is designed in Hong Kong where most people race mod. I heard that some tracks there started a slower spec class and it went dead. Anyway, 85T tooth spur in 64pitch is rare in HK.... I guess the designers did not take that into consideration....
over gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #273
Tech Fanatic

Yeah I agree... Works fine with the vertical motor mount. But then I had to dremel the stock top deck to get it to fit. It is OK now however I still find it hard to tighten the pinion down. I am running 100/45 21.5t VTA and 93/47 17.5 TC. I have the new top decks coming this week. But you can make it work without them. On the 3racing website they have a new vertical mount for the Zero S that has 2 metal spur gear holders. I got the old ones so still using plastic.
Madulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #274
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I try to run this car stock standard as it is a lower budget car and I do not want to spent on any options as the whole idea is to reduce my spendings but the only thing I feel is necessary is to hv a threaded shocks and Sakura doesn't sell the shock body alone. Do you have any idea if Tamiya's shock body or any other brand fits the Sakura S shock caps?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #275
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

So i'm thinking about picking up this kit and just want to get some opinions before i place an order.

First, HKS Hobby is still considered a reputable dealer?

Second, it seems that the vertical motor mount and topdeck (SAK-66 and SAK-38) are must haves.

Aside from spare c-hubs, arms and rear hubs... any thing ELSE i should consider? Heck, at that price would i be better off buying two kits... one to race and one for the spare parts?

Thanks all, probably the most informative 19 pages i've ever read on a car kit.
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #276
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i got mine from hkshobby.
took about 5 days total.. dont expect any type of email confirmation or shipping info. but it will show up.

the vertical motor mount and top deck isnt a MUST HAVE..
it would probably make life easier..
my goal, however, was to get the least exensive racecar for my son.
you can make the stock setup work.. it just takes some slight finagling.
monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #277
Tech Master

My actual goal is to have a brand new onroad car, relatively inexpensive, to run 21.5 GT and 17.5 RCGT.

I have a TC3 and TC4 that i bought used. While nice, i want to get away from shaft drive and ball diffs.

Given my level of driving skills, i don't want or need to spend over $300 for a kit.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #278
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

I just bought mine from HKS and received it in 3 days, I got the priority mail tracking information within a few hours of placing my order. The only issue I've had is that I also ordered titanium turnbuckles but didn't receive the steering links, apparently backordered but not well documented. I haven't put it on a track yet but the build quality seems pretty good, the screw heads seem to be a little tight for the 2mm driver but otherwise no issues. As far as the upgrades, I have been looking into the new vertical motor mount SAK-S17/PK and top deck SAK-S16/WO, looks like a better option since it replaces the right side support for the spur gear as well. Also the aluminum spur gear adapter will be a helpful upgrade from what I can tell. Hopefully this helps.

To the others that have the car, what is the difference between the standard aluminum suspension mounts and the narrow mounts? Can either be used with the narrow chassis or are the narrow mounts required for the narrow chassis? 3racing doesn't really explain much about compatibility or the differences in performance.

For pejota I should mention that I'm in central Florida so transit time shouldn't be much different.
tcdrvr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #279
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It narrows the rear track wide and gives you more rear grip.
You can use the narrow rear suspension mounts on the stock chassis also as only the wide of the mounts is different not the fixing point.

regards Roy
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #280
Tech Rookie

Can anyone list some option parts for this car that are good value for money? I plan on drifting, with a 9t brushless motor. I am a student on a budget, so I can't spend too much.

Thanks.

Last edited by abdul basit; 12-30-2010 at 12:50 AM.
abdul basit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #281
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcdrvr2 View Post
I just bought mine from HKS and received it in 3 days, I got the priority mail tracking information within a few hours of placing my order. The only issue I've had is that I also ordered titanium turnbuckles but didn't receive the steering links, apparently backordered but not well documented.
HKS seems to be the ONLY American supplier for Sakura parts right now. My orders there were both delayed because their online inventory does NOT match their actual inventory, so they have to hold until they have everything in stock or ship items separately (pointless). Everything I placed an order for showed as IN STOCK when I ordered it. They need to get their inventory synced up with their online parts management system in a hurry, as it is not 2001 anymore. There is no excuse for that these days with a canned internet shopping cart system.

A Dinball (overseas, Hong Kong) order took 7 weeks to get into my hands. Painful.

I really like the Sakuras, but I'm not quite sure the slow and weak parts support is worth the price of these cars. We definitely need another American parts distributor, for sure.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #282
Tech Elite

Why don't you try Mushroom or RC market for supplies?
I get my parts from them and it takes about a week or 10 days to get to my door without any problems.
Also E-bay has a rather good supply of parts and i am not talking about Dinball.
I do order parts from Dinball and had no problems with them at all.
Also Stellamodels has Sakura parts in stock http://www.stellamodels.net/catalog/...eywords=Sakura

Regards Roy

Quote:
A Dinball (overseas, Hong Kong) order took 7 weeks to get into my hands. Painful.

I really like the Sakuras, but I'm not quite sure the slow and weak parts support is worth the price of these cars. We definitely need another American parts distributor, for sure.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #283
Tech Elite

I will try others next time, but when I ordered previously, no one else had everything that I needed/wanted. I'm now gun-shy with international orders, as I don't want another 7-week delay and I'm not interested in spending $45 for expedited shipping to the US.

For me, the parts supply chain is an issue in the U.S. Hopefully, there will be more distributors of 3racing parts in the country soon. It's the ONLY thing holding this car back here in the U.S.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #284
Tech Master

Imagine telling a total noob to the hobby that they need to order online from Asia...

Some of us who have been around a while don't really have a problem ordering online or from overseas. I've ordered from dinball on eBay and had no issues at all. But, i've been at this a while and knew exactly what i wanted.

I think beginners would be more at ease ordering from Tower, Stormer, A-Main or even a LHS like Superior Hobbies in Florida who have an online ordering system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post
Why don't you try Mushroom or RC market for supplies?
I get my parts from them and it takes about a week or 10 days to get to my door without any problems.
Also E-bay has a rather good supply of parts and i am not talking about Dinball.
I do order parts from Dinball and had no problems with them at all.
Also Stellamodels has Sakura parts in stock http://www.stellamodels.net/catalog/...eywords=Sakura

Regards Roy
Old 12-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #285
Tech Elite

45$???
When i order from the above mentioned shops my order will cost me about 15 to 18 dollar true registered airmail.
Most of the time Mushroom has all the parts i need.
I was lucky when i bought the Zakura Zero(not S) there where a lot of spare parts with the car(almost a second one except the alloy parts).
Just had to order some maintenance parts like diff balls,a spare set of diff outdrives,a geardiff and the dust covers for the diff.

regards Roy

Quote:
I'm now gun-shy with international orders, as I don't want another 7-week delay and I'm not interested in spending $45 for expedited shipping to the US.