R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-23-2010, 03:47 AM   #241
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees52 View Post
Im building mine up now and I was wondering about the diff oil.
I see some guys have put 2000 stock weight in the rear and 500 in the front.
Well wouldn't you want it the other way around? so the front is a more similar action to a spool and the rear is like a smooth ball diff with no slip.
Thoughts?
Depends on the track condition you are going to run with (high traction, medium traction or low traction). You might want to start with what "squarehead" has suggested. Thicker (higher) viscosity oil upfront.

I used 3000cst Mugen silicone diff oil up front and 1500 (50/50 mix of 1000 and 2000cst) Mugen silicone oil for the rear. Worked so far for me...
OverGeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #242
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by glide 1 View Post
Can someone please confirm - if i change to the vertical motor mount option (http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=21480), will i need to change the topdeck also or would the stock do?
Also, can someone explain why there are 2 different lengths Universal Shafts for this kit? any advantages/disadvantages using either lengths?
Thanks in advance.
The stock one will not fit. You can get it to fit if you dremel/sand it a bit. I have a couple of the new top decks on order, but will make due with the one I modded till they come in. SAK-S16/WO Graphite Upper Deck For SAKURA ZERO S
http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=5134

Shafts, stock is 46mm, the 44mm are for use with the narrow rear blocks. Not sure if you really need them. Going to put the narrow rear on later today and see if the 46mm will still fit.
Madulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #243
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverGeared View Post
Depends on the track condition you are going to run with (high traction, medium traction or low traction). You might want to start with what "squarehead" has suggested. Thicker (higher) viscosity oil upfront.

I used 3000cst Mugen silicone diff oil up front and 1500 (50/50 mix of 1000 and 2000cst) Mugen silicone oil for the rear. Worked so far for me...
Our track is medium traction with course and bumpy surface.
i was thinking so go a bit softer, around 1500 up font and 600 in the rear.
The standard 2000 in the diff feels very stiff to me. Do they free up after some use?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #244
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuMi2 View Post
I have had a 38/69T combo on the Sakura with out any dramas. I guess it depends on spur size.
The 34t 48p pinion doesn't fit with the stock spur, the motor can't be placed forward enough to get a decent mesh gap between the gears and grinds them both. Until I get an upright mount and smaller spur I'm just using a 30t.

The pinions also are a pain to get in. Had to half tighten the motor in the angle it to get the pinion on then tighten them both on.
In the past few hours I have learnt these very important things; firstly, read the instructions, secondly, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!! And check the back of the piece of paper if there are more instructions, thirdly, double check what you have done, then check it again and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!
unsane_chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #245
Tech Initiate

Quote:
The standard 2000 in the diff feels very stiff to me. Do they free up after some use?
I find the 2000 to be fairly stiff so far. Only had about 15mins running time so far tho. I was thinking about a solid rear axle because I'm using my car for drift ATM, but it works fine for drift with the 2000 in the rear. I will upgrade to the solid axle at some point for a little extra driftness and a bit of weight loss.
In the past few hours I have learnt these very important things; firstly, read the instructions, secondly, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!! And check the back of the piece of paper if there are more instructions, thirdly, double check what you have done, then check it again and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!
unsane_chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #246
Tech Adept

Quote:
i run on medium traction asphalt.

was running 80wt orion shock oil in the back, 30,000 mugen diff oil in front. Rear of the car was all over the place, the diff was 'unloading', with the inside wheel lifting and spinning out, only way i could regain a bit more traction and control was to soften the rear springs by alot.

so i changed to the kit provided 2000 oil, should work better. Refer to the spec-r diff thread, most guys there recommend 1000 to 3000cst. anything lighter would give you too much off power steering, in my case, extreme oversteer. hope this help. and yes it does free up abit after a few runs
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #247
Tech Adept

Quote:
Can someone please confirm - if i change to the vertical motor mount option (http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=21480), will i need to change the topdeck also or would the stock do?
Also, can someone explain why there are 2 different lengths Universal Shafts for this kit? any advantages/disadvantages using either lengths?
Thanks in advance.
Kabayan!

Yes you will have to. The part (3R-SAK-66/PK) 3Racing Vertical Motor Mount only fit for (SAK-38/WO) Upper Deck (Soft) as recommended by the link. With the stock upper chassis plate you will have to do a little mod (milling) to accommodate the vertical motor mount.

The shorter 44mm universal shafts are paired with the narrow suspension mounts. I have read somewhere in the threads that the shorter universal swing shafts up front will give "more steering" - personally I really don't know how... . If it is the C.V. (ECS) universal swing shafts (like those of the XRay cars) for sure it will help with the cornering speeds and minimize the vibration of the inner wheel at extreme wheel turning angles.

I have ordered this item (SPR-001-TMY) Spec-R C.V. Universal Swing Shaft (For Tamiya 416) due to arrive this week.
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=21277

I am planning to put the front stock universal swing shaft at the rear and try to see if this item will work up front with the Zero. Will let you guys know...
Old 12-25-2010, 03:31 AM   #248
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Kabayan!

Yes you will have to. The part (3R-SAK-66/PK) 3Racing Vertical Motor Mount only fit for (SAK-38/WO) Upper Deck (Soft) as recommended by the link. With the stock upper chassis plate you will have to do a little mod (milling) to accommodate the vertical motor mount.

The shorter 44mm universal shafts are paired with the narrow suspension mounts. I have read somewhere in the threads that the shorter universal swing shafts up front will give "more steering" - personally I really don't know how... . If it is the C.V. (ECS) universal swing shafts (like those of the XRay cars) for sure it will help with the cornering speeds and minimize the vibration of the inner wheel at extreme wheel turning angles.

I have ordered this item (SPR-001-TMY) Spec-R C.V. Universal Swing Shaft (For Tamiya 416) due to arrive this week.

I am planning to put the front stock universal swing shaft at the rear and try to see if this item will work up front with the Zero. Will let you guys know...
Yeah, I have those 44's for spares. Please let us know the outcome.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #249
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Kabayan!

salamat sa info kabayan

looks like i will have to get the soft upper deck then.

i wasnt aware that this car also suffers from inner wheel vibration at extreme turning angles - is it really that bad though? i ask because my cyclone use to do this aswell but i got to minimize it a little.

WOw the SpecR cvd's are very pricey - almost half of the cost of the entire S kit Would'nt mind trying those in the future. Let us know how they work for you.
glide 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #250
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madulla View Post
The stock one will not fit. You can get it to fit if you dremel/sand it a bit. I have a couple of the new top decks on order, but will make due with the one I modded till they come in. SAK-S16/WO Graphite Upper Deck For SAKURA ZERO S
http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=5134

Shafts, stock is 46mm, the 44mm are for use with the narrow rear blocks. Not sure if you really need them. Going to put the narrow rear on later today and see if the 46mm will still fit.
thanks also for the info Madulla - any news of the narrow rear with 46mm shaft?
glide 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #251
Tech Fanatic

Haven't got back to the TC car to try the 44mm's yet, but did put together the VTA. I was able to dremel the top deck to get it to fit, took about 2 minutes. I had extra 46mm steel universals that I put in the rear. First race day is Monday. All that is left is to balance it and put a setup on it
Madulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #252
Tech Adept

Quote:
salamat sa info kabayan

looks like i will have to get the soft upper deck then.

i wasnt aware that this car also suffers from inner wheel vibration at extreme turning angles - is it really that bad though? i ask because my cyclone use to do this aswell but i got to minimize it a little.

WOw the SpecR cvd's are very pricey - almost half of the cost of the entire S kit Would'nt mind trying those in the future. Let us know how they work for you.
Yup as an option part they do cost, but wait till you see the price of the original ECS driveshafts for the XRays (a piece at the same bucks ). (sorry, OT - just sharing my thoughts).
Old 12-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #253
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

whoever is getting this kit please please get the alum spur adaptor, washer for it (pink m12 alum) and 19t pulleys.

In my case, the moulded pulley/spur adaptor wobbles due to clumsy manufacturing.
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #254
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok View Post
whoever is getting this kit please please get the alum spur adaptor, washer for it (pink m12 alum) and 19t pulleys.

In my case, the moulded pulley/spur adaptor wobbles due to clumsy manufacturing.
hmmm... i tried the stock plastic spur adaptor. it didn't wobble that bad. i ran 17.5t turbo and it held up well... I bought the alum spur adaptor + 19t pulley so that i can loosen up the belts a bit...
over gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #255
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
thanks also for the info Madulla - any news of the narrow rear with 46mm shaft?
I have the Sakura...not the 'S' and with narrow rear...

46mm fits with ball diff but not with gear diff as there is binding (bottoms out in outdrive)

44mm fits with gear diff no worries.

Hope this helps...
SchuMi2 is offline   Reply With Quote