R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #2386
Tech Adept

question.. has anyone ever used boca bearings? are they any good? rather are they better than the bearings that come with the zero s kit?
sonspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #2387
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Another, and hopefully the last update on this issue of my car.

After racing the car last night I'm confident to say that the issues have finally been solved & rectified.
My friend and I believe that a slightly tweaked/bowed lower cf deck was the cause of my problems. The problems of the noisy gear mesh, binding feeling and inconsistent handling are now all gone, and it was somewhat a great relief to know that the issues are gone along with enjoying driving the car on the track.

Again, thanks to all who offered advice, help, suggestions and even physically to look at the car. It's surprising to see that even the smallest amount of tweak can have a dramatic effect on the car.
Now I can actually focus on fine tuning the car to get some better performance & handling, I need to work on getting some more traction on the front as the rear just has so much grip!

Cheers
Rob.
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #2388
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
Another, and hopefully the last update on this issue of my car.

After racing the car last night I'm confident to say that the issues have finally been solved & rectified.
My friend and I believe that a slightly tweaked/bowed lower cf deck was the cause of my problems. The problems of the noisy gear mesh, binding feeling and inconsistent handling are now all gone, and it was somewhat a great relief to know that the issues are gone along with enjoying driving the car on the track.

Again, thanks to all who offered advice, help, suggestions and even physically to look at the car. It's surprising to see that even the smallest amount of tweak can have a dramatic effect on the car.
Now I can actually focus on fine tuning the car to get some better performance & handling, I need to work on getting some more traction on the front as the rear just has so much grip!

Cheers
Rob.
Great to hear you got it sorted Rob!

My xi is pretty similar that it has quite a lot of rear grip. For a long time I couldnt get enough steering through sweepers, and had to use a front gear diff to have any hope of turning into tight corners. I solved the problem with ackerman and springs. My current setup (all be it on TRF long dampers) is HPI pink front and rear. I also found going to 5mm rear hex over the normal 4mm free'd the car up a bit for rotation. Its actually quite aggressive now, but I like it. Its not loose or undrivable, just aggressive. You can also try lengthening your rear upper links.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #2389
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollow86 View Post
Great to hear you got it sorted Rob!

My xi is pretty similar that it has quite a lot of rear grip. For a long time I couldnt get enough steering through sweepers, and had to use a front gear diff to have any hope of turning into tight corners. I solved the problem with ackerman and springs. My current setup (all be it on TRF long dampers) is HPI pink front and rear. I also found going to 5mm rear hex over the normal 4mm free'd the car up a bit for rotation. Its actually quite aggressive now, but I like it. Its not loose or undrivable, just aggressive. You can also try lengthening your rear upper links.
My current setup is almost straight out of the box, was using a spool in the front and ball diff in the rear.
I've got a number of options to try such as a gear diff in the front or springs, spacers for the inner & outer camber links and shock positions etc.

I might use a gear diff next week as I broke one of the plastic out drives when I clipped a barrier (got the metal ones on order).
With the Sakura shocks (the alloy ones), they work quite fine if you replace the seals & bladders with Tamiya ones.
I'm just so glad and relieved now, so I can start to work with the settings to get the most out of my car without the previous issues.

Thanks for the tips and advice as this car actually responds to small changes unlike my old TA05 which handles the same way even with small or radical changes.

Cheers
Rob.
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #2390
Tech Master

Awesome that you got the car straightened out. now you can really enjoy it. don't worry. you will be able to tune the push out of the car without any problem. I have had great success tuning the steering of the car by making simple front toe changes and droop changes. if its really bad you may need to play with shock oil and springs.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #2391
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonspit View Post
i see that you race indoors n florida... im in avon park i would love to start really racing.. where is the track? if u dont mind me asking
Sorry I havn"t replied back been at the snowbirds, The track is located in Plant city just off I-4. Send me a PM when you get ready to come over and I can send ya directions. We run mostly on wed. nights right now but the sunday club racing should pick back up late feb. Got the old Sakura into the A Main at the birds today. Raced out of the B into the A and finished in 8th place. Lot of people were surprised to see what the car was they didn"t think that car could run that good. Car was better than the driver sadly but they were very impressed with it.
2014 F.E.D.S. Mod Sprint and Sportsman Late Model Champion
2013 FSERA World GT State Champion
shadowracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:09 AM   #2392
Tech Adept

Hi
I need a front belt that is 40mm shorter than original.
Does anybody know if that excist??

Are going to shorten the body with 20mm so then I need a new front belt for this.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #2393
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowracer24 View Post
Sorry I havn"t replied back been at the snowbirds, The track is located in Plant city just off I-4. Send me a PM when you get ready to come over and I can send ya directions. We run mostly on wed. nights right now but the sunday club racing should pick back up late feb. Got the old Sakura into the A Main at the birds today. Raced out of the B into the A and finished in 8th place. Lot of people were surprised to see what the car was they didn"t think that car could run that good. Car was better than the driver sadly but they were very impressed with it.
ok will do..thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #2394
Tech Adept

All finished I took it out to see what top speed I would get without touching the tune and I didn't have time to adjust the trim as it was getting dark I got 51.8mph was turning to the right a bit but will do some tuning and adjust the trim see how we go
Attached Thumbnails
3Racing Sakura Zero S-photo.jpg   3Racing Sakura Zero S-photo2.jpg  
Sakuraszero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #2395
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuraszero View Post
All finished I took it out to see what top speed I would get without touching the tune and I didn't have time to adjust the trim as it was getting dark I got 51.8mph was turning to the right a bit but will do some tuning and adjust the trim see how we go
nice!! 69 was my top speed.. whats your set up?
i run a sv2 with the 6900kv 4pole neu castle motor. changed the stock spur, went down to a 72t and a 34t pinion.. venom 2slipo 35c 3800mah

http://i49.tinypic.com/2hxyrte.jpg
Old 02-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #2396
Tech Adept

Questions??

question?.. toe in or toe out on the front.. i have been running with 2 degrees toe in.. but i see everyones pics with toe out.. why? i thought toe in gives you better straights , more stability.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #2397
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If your happy with 2deg toe in i suggest using zero toe, most will use .5 toe out which helps initial turn in but can make the car twitchy on the straight, i now use zero toe as i have good turn in anyway
thefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #2398
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonspit View Post
nice!! 69 was my top speed.. whats your set up?
i run a sv2 with the 6900kv 4pole neu castle motor. changed the stock spur, went down to a 72t and a 34t pinion.. venom 2slipo 35c 3800mah

http://i49.tinypic.com/2hxyrte.jpg
thanks mate I got a LRP 3.5 turn motor off a mate I then got a r10 pro 2 to 3 s ESC and for the batterie im using a LRP 6900 50-100c. I aloso got a spectrum DX3R pro so many functions lol just got to adjust the trim and stuff to get good handling as its going to the right
Sakuraszero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #2399
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuraszero View Post
thanks mate I got a LRP 3.5 turn motor off a mate I then got a r10 pro 2 to 3 s ESC and for the batterie im using a LRP 6900 50-100c. I aloso got a spectrum DX3R pro so many functions lol just got to adjust the trim and stuff to get good handling as its going to the right
are you using the 80t spur, and what pinion?
i wanna go up on the pinion.. i wanna hit 100mph since as of right now im just bashing..and i just found out where the track is.. going there soon
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #2400
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefan View Post
If your happy with 2deg toe in i suggest using zero toe, most will use .5 toe out which helps initial turn in but can make the car twitchy on the straight, i now use zero toe as i have good turn in anyway
i tried zero toe but the car wouldn't track straight.. with the 2 deg. it tracks better... u said toe out makes the car twitchy, others say it helps to track straight.. so toe in helps to track straight and toe out is twitchy on straights..ooh ok.

just trying to learn