R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #2086
Tech Rookie

Hello all, Took a few days and read the entire thread, some good info. My questions is this. My Local shop is carrying 3racing parts and cars. I am going to start to run 17.5 blinky TC. I can get a zero s with the usual upgrades noted in this thread and a narrow graphite Zero chassis for under $200. Do you think this is the better route and do some slow upgrading to alloy parts or do I just bite the bullet and get the XI for $360.

Track is medium size indoor carpet, high traction. What do you guys think?
orangetoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #2087
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

if you have to spend all that extra money to make a $100 car competitive, then i think its a waste of money personally.
there is a guy in our crew racing this car against t3's ect and he is amain material. his is bone stock though and he gets there on driver merit.
enjoy the $100 car for what it is, but if you wanna get all that upgrade stuff for it, its probably much better to just get the full on racing kit from the start.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #2088
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye dan View Post
64 pitch gives u more adjustment
Thanx for that, will keep a note of that.
Rc-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #2089
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
if you have to spend all that extra money to make a $100 car competitive, then i think its a waste of money personally.
there is a guy in our crew racing this car against t3's ect and he is amain material. his is bone stock though and he gets there on driver merit.
enjoy the $100 car for what it is, but if you wanna get all that upgrade stuff for it, its probably much better to just get the full on racing kit from the start.
i have to disagree on this . I am new to rc on-road i converted from short course but didn't know to much . I have money to spend on a pro kit but since i am new to the sport of 1/10 on-road racing this i think is one of the best beginner kits out there . For one you build it and learn how it works, and if you brake a part you wont cry about cause its only 100 bucks . The upgrades are very affordable doesn't hurt the pockets at all . Everything you can do to a pro kit you can do to this kit like i stated before at a very cheap cost . I know eventually i will upgrade to a much better kit but for now this sakura kit will be my gate way into the 1/10 touring scene . Like others have stated its not the kit you drive its the skill of the driver that wins you races .

just got done with my kit
first 2 pics were taken by my galaxy s 2

these 2 pics were taken with my canon camera

im ready for the track
Paul R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #2090
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default sharp

sharp looking car but where are u racing paul dont really need helmet lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R View Post
i have to disagree on this . I am new to rc on-road i converted from short course but didn't know to much . I have money to spend on a pro kit but since i am new to the sport of 1/10 on-road racing this i think is one of the best beginner kits out there . For one you build it and learn how it works, and if you brake a part you wont cry about cause its only 100 bucks . The upgrades are very affordable doesn't hurt the pockets at all . Everything you can do to a pro kit you can do to this kit like i stated before at a very cheap cost . I know eventually i will upgrade to a much better kit but for now this sakura kit will be my gate way into the 1/10 touring scene . Like others have stated its not the kit you drive its the skill of the driver that wins you races .

just got done with my kit
first 2 pics were taken by my galaxy s 2

these 2 pics were taken with my canon camera

im ready for the track
Old 10-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #2091
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default the zero is raceable

this car is able to compete out of box but if u dont have money to buy more expensive XI then this is way to go.Love how cheap parts are and upgrades if you want them. this car is so drivable love it
Old 10-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #2092
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just finished my sakura xi ver dh build and need some suggestions on a tiny receiver to use because this chassis is soooooo narrow! (my futaba is too big for my liking) I was thinking ko propo or airtronics would offer a micro rx but I haven't had much luck looking online... Any suggestions peeps??? Thanks in advance!

Mike
HUCKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #2093
Tech Apprentice

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangetoe View Post
Hello all, Took a few days and read the entire thread, some good info. My questions is this. My Local shop is carrying 3racing parts and cars. I am going to start to run 17.5 blinky TC. I can get a zero s with the usual upgrades noted in this thread and a narrow graphite Zero chassis for under $200. Do you think this is the better route and do some slow upgrading to alloy parts or do I just bite the bullet and get the XI for $360.

Track is medium size indoor carpet, high traction. What do you guys think?

Bite the bullet and get a Sakura xi ver dh. I've owned 3 sakura S's and have been very competitive with all 3, however they lack tuneability from changing track layouts. I didn't want to spend the $360 for mine at first but now I believe I won't need another chassis for a good 2-3 years... Very impressive well fitting build and super tuneable with pleasing handling. I'm very happy, nice work 3racing!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #2094
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUCKMAN View Post
I just finished my sakura xi ver dh build and need some suggestions on a tiny receiver to use because this chassis is soooooo narrow! (my futaba is too big for my liking) I was thinking ko propo or airtronics would offer a micro rx but I haven't had much luck looking online... Any suggestions peeps??? Thanks in advance!

Mike
Mike,

I picked up one of the orange GR300 receivers from Hobby King to check out with my Spektrum DX3S radio. They are about half the size of the Spektrum SR300 receiver and nice and light. It bound to my Tx immediately and has been rock sold so far. Hard to beat for the $10 price.
SteveM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #2095
Tech Apprentice

Nice, will it work with futaba?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #2096
Tech Apprentice

Orange is so ugly tho!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #2097
Tech Champion

Quote:
Orange is so ugly tho!
Put the sedan shell on!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #2098
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Does anybody drift there Zero? What is the stock steering angle?
TamiyaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #2099
Tech Champion

Quote:
Nice, will it work with futaba?
It is compatible with all Spektrum DSM2 ground transmitters. Looks like you're SOL. Sorry
Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #2100
Tech Addict

not happy with the ver motor mount. had to remove my battery corner holders
Im thinking of using the stock motor mount. what is the largest pinions/spurs that can be used 48p&64p?
I scope a hand full of pages but never really seen my answer
im thinking of using 64p cuzz xray or OBINSON RACING have spurs with holes
any info would be great
TeamThibault is offline   Reply With Quote