R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-18-2012, 05:21 AM   #2026
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicman View Post
If you could find a picture of the mod or point me to the original posted on that would be great.
...here you go...
Attached Thumbnails
3Racing Sakura Zero S-dremel-mod.jpg  
skyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #2027
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyball View Post
...here you go...
Thanks. That looks like the Vertical MM. Is that the same type of mod that needs to be done to the original MM that comes in the kit?
majicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #2028
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicman View Post
Thanks. That looks like the Vertical MM. Is that the same type of mod that needs to be done to the original MM that comes in the kit?
No, the original MM doesn't have the motor mount arm, so you don't need to mod it...
skyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #2029
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollow86 View Post
I installed some in my DH last night, havent had a chance to test them yet, but they sure do feel smooth on the bench. Much, much better then the normal unis.
My articulated 3racing CVD's arrived today and I've now got them installed. Much smoother on the bench for sure and can't wait to give them a try on the carpet. I moved the kit stock CVD's to the rear and removed the dog bones.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #2030
Tech Apprentice

i know its been mentioned once before just to lazy brain to go back and see what the answer was but what shock set up can fit on the sakura ? full shock and springs .
Paul R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #2031
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Hideeho
I've been thinking seriously about getting into USVTA. I've looked @ several inexpensive cars (Sakura, tc4, sprint, etc). This is the one that looks to be the most promising. I've read through the last 100 pages or so & have a good idea of mods that need to be done off the bat (vmm, 19t front, al spur holder, etc), but one thing I read puzzles me. A few pages back there was a lengthy discussion about which servo saver is best (Tamiya hd). My question is, do you really need a servo saver? The reason I ask is one of the best mods to do to an AE b4.1 is a fixed metal link for the steering (avid, or now proline). This does not seem to be to much abuse in an offroad enviroment for even a semi decent solar servo with metal gears. This mod gives a MUCH better, more direct feel to the steering. Would this not be the same for onroad?
Waflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #2032
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R View Post
i know its been mentioned once before just to lazy brain to go back and see what the answer was but what shock set up can fit on the sakura ? full shock and springs .
The shocks supplied with the Sakura are shorter than "normal" TC shocks. With the +4 shock towers you can use any "normal" size TC shocks -- Associated, Tamiya, Xray, etc.

But, unless you already own an "upgraded" set of TC shocks from one of the other manufactures, the alloy adjustable shocks from 3Racing are the right size, have the majority of the fancy features, are pink and are cheaper. So, just buying the +4 shock towers is only going to save you money if you already own "normal" TC shocks.

3 3Racing Sakura Zeros: Mustang Boss VTA // Lexus LFA USGT // MazdaSpeed 6 TC
Mini M03 & M05
Life is better with a soundtrack
FauxMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #2033
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waflet View Post
Hideeho
I've been thinking seriously about getting into USVTA. I've looked @ several inexpensive cars (Sakura, tc4, sprint, etc). This is the one that looks to be the most promising. I've read through the last 100 pages or so & have a good idea of mods that need to be done off the bat (vmm, 19t front, al spur holder, etc), but one thing I read puzzles me. A few pages back there was a lengthy discussion about which servo saver is best (Tamiya hd). My question is, do you really need a servo saver? The reason I ask is one of the best mods to do to an AE b4.1 is a fixed metal link for the steering (avid, or now proline). This does not seem to be to much abuse in an offroad enviroment for even a semi decent solar servo with metal gears. This mod gives a MUCH better, more direct feel to the steering. Would this not be the same for onroad?
If you are running a heavy duty, off road class servo than you might be able to get away without a servo saver. Walls are harder than dirt and drain pipes. The reason we're suggesting a better servo saver is that the servo saver should only flex and give when you are hitting something hard enough to break the servo. If it's flexing during normal cornering than it's not stiff enough. If it's properly setup the servo saver will protect the servo and you won't feel the difference at all.

Mini M03 & M05
Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #2034
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxMako View Post
If you are running a heavy duty, off road class servo than you might be able to get away without a servo saver. Walls are harder than dirt and drain pipes. The reason we're suggesting a better servo saver is that the servo saver should only flex and give when you are hitting something hard enough to break the servo. If it's flexing during normal cornering than it's not stiff enough. If it's properly setup the servo saver will protect the servo and you won't feel the difference at all.
Hideeho
It's not just "offroad class" servos. There ar couple of savox 1251's with the same or similar setups I run with locally. But either way, the tamiya hd saver sounds like a good piece of insurance (maybe even for my b4.1, I'll be looking into that). The only servo mounted savers I'm familiar with are from eons ago, the plastic, flimsy things that were such a pain in the butt. At a quick guess do you think the tamiya hd would stand up to 10th off road & not flex with out a direct impact? Are they height adjustable as well as length adjustable (need it a little tall but not long to fit the b4.1).
Waflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #2035
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waflet View Post
Hideeho
It's not just "offroad class" servos. There ar couple of savox 1251's with the same or similar setups I run with locally. But either way, the tamiya hd saver sounds like a good piece of insurance (maybe even for my b4.1, I'll be looking into that). The only servo mounted savers I'm familiar with are from eons ago, the plastic, flimsy things that were such a pain in the butt. At a quick guess do you think the tamiya hd would stand up to 10th off road & not flex with out a direct impact? Are they height adjustable as well as length adjustable (need it a little tall but not long to fit the b4.1).
The servo savers come in sizes and have multiple holes at different lengths from the center. Here's the one I use:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tec-Airtronics
Just about all the major onroad chassis makers have their own server savers and many aftermarket ones exist as well. I'm sure the Xray one is optimized, but you'll pay for it.

I'm not sure about the offroad applications. Arms are so much longer, wheels have so much more rubber and foam on them and suspension travel is greater so I'm not sure there is an easy apples to apples comparison to be made. Onroad you've got a couple of mm of tire/foam and a couple of mm of suspension travel. But you aren't (intentionally) going airborne either. My guess would be that the forces transferred to an onroad server is actually greater than than transferred to an offroad server. You hit a wall at a 45* angle and it's definitely going to transmit a lot of force through the steering link to the servo. Depends on your track as well, if it's a track with berms and disks instead of walls it will be easier on the steering when you do get off the line.

I ran a solid arm on my Zero for a while and the only thing I noticed was that my servo started getting noiser and having problems centering itself and after about 6 race days was no longer reliable.

Mini M03 & M05
Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #2036
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxMako View Post
The shocks supplied with the Sakura are shorter than "normal" TC shocks. With the +4 shock towers you can use any "normal" size TC shocks -- Associated, Tamiya, Xray, etc.

But, unless you already own an "upgraded" set of TC shocks from one of the other manufactures, the alloy adjustable shocks from 3Racing are the right size, have the majority of the fancy features, are pink and are cheaper. So, just buying the +4 shock towers is only going to save you money if you already own "normal" TC shocks.
this one ?
http://www.hksrc.com/store/index.php...roduct_id=7315
Old 09-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #2037
Tech Addict

Quote:
Yes, that's the front +4mm shock tower. There is a similar one for the rear. But you'd only use these with the "normal" length shocks not the 3Racing Sakura shocks.

Mini M03 & M05
Old 09-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #2038
Tech Apprentice

Which shock set up would you prefer > ?
Old 09-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #2039
Tech Addict

Quote:
Which shock set up would you prefer > ?
If you have extra "full size" alloy threaded TC shocks from another car and like them I'd get the +4 shock towers and use the shocks you already own and like.

If you don't have extra "full size" alloy threaded TC shocks from another car I'd get the 3Racing upgraded shocks (and have twice and probably will a third time when I get frustrated with the clips and plastic stock 3Racing shocks).

If you already own nice shocks then the +4 shock towers is the cheaper upgrade.
If you don't already own nice shocks then the 3racing upgrade shocks are the cheaper upgrade.

Mini M03 & M05
Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #2040
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the sakura zero s on a 13.5 boosted category? How's it compared with the hi brands out there?
kikoy is offline   Reply With Quote