R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #1921
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

I have some serious binding in my drivetrain. Is there a way to loosen it up a bit? Get it smoother?
Ironwolf1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #1922
Tech Regular

19t pullys help i think
d.k.vmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:22 AM   #1923
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwolf1974 View Post
I have some serious binding in my drivetrain. Is there a way to loosen it up a bit? Get it smoother?
If your using the kit bearings, i would get another set, the kit ones arent that great.
A lot of the binding i found (in mine) was around the spur gear holder shaft and the plastic mounts. When they are replaced with the pink aluminium ones it appeared to go away.

Another trick, that was shown was to put a 0.1 shim under the front and rear bulkhead covers when screwing them down, takes a bit of pressure off the round bearing housings for front and rear diffs.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #1924
Tech Initiate

Hmm I have a curious question here. Is it possible to freely interchange between Zero and Zero S parts? Or only certain/specific parts?
issuzark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #1925
Tech Initiate

man I miss the good old days when club racing was simple and cheep!
vtecboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #1926
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

I ordered my son a zero s what are the differences between the zero and zero s?and are there any option parts needed?thanks
Old 08-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #1927
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The zero s is the cheaper version of the zero. All the zero parts will fit on the zero s without any modifications needed. the zero s has mostly plastic parts and the zero is aluminum. The only upgrades you may need is the vertical motor mount to make gear changes easier and the aluminum gear hub to use the 19 tooth gear to loosen the front drive belt some. They are not mandatory but just make life a little easier. Send me a pm if you need any help, converted mine from zero s to full zero and absolutely love this car.
2014 F.E.D.S. Mod Sprint and Sportsman Late Model Champion
2013 FSERA World GT State Champion
shadowracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #1928
Tech Initiate

Ah thanks! One more thing though. is it cheaper to convert bit by bit? Or is
it cheaper to get the whole chassis?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #1929
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by issuzark View Post
Ah thanks! One more thing though. is it cheaper to convert bit by bit? Or is
it cheaper to get the whole chassis?
The zero is no longer available as a completely decked out kit. it has been replaced by the xi. I spent about $300 to do a full zero s to zero conversion. this includes the cost of the zero s kit. it will be about the same price as a xi kit maybe a little less. Do whatever your budget allows. the s will compete without all of the upgrades and it sure is fun to do the upgrades little by little but it is also nice to have everything already done. Either way you will have a great car.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #1930
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowracer24 View Post
The zero s is the cheaper version of the zero. All the zero parts will fit on the zero s without any modifications needed. the zero s has mostly plastic parts and the zero is aluminum. The only upgrades you may need is the vertical motor mount to make gear changes easier and the aluminum gear hub to use the 19 tooth gear to loosen the front drive belt some. They are not mandatory but just make life a little easier. Send me a pm if you need any help, converted mine from zero s to full zero and absolutely love this car.
Thanks for the help,i seen the motor mount v2?is that right
Old 08-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #1931
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

yep!
2014 F.E.D.S. Mod Sprint and Sportsman Late Model Champion
2013 FSERA World GT State Champion
shadowracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #1932
Tech Initiate

300? So it's cheaper than the full kit then! Also, is the xi much better compared to zero?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #1933
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by issuzark View Post
300? So it's cheaper than the full kit then! Also, is the xi much better compared to zero?
I am currently running the xi and I think the biggest difference I felt was smoothness. the zero is plenty smooth and completely capable of winning but to me the xi is smoother. lap times were the same and my consistency was the same. Guess its all driver preference. I am running a 21.5 so the differences may be more noticeable with a faster motor or boost.

$300 is a pretty close estimate give or take a little. Either chassis is great. only reason I have the xi is because a friend of mine was selling it and gave me a good deal on it. I wasn't looking for one. It found me. I am glad I own both chassis but I can't say I prefer one over the other. The differences are even less noticeable if you use the narrow chassis plate on the zero. I do think the xi has more chassis flex though. it may perform better in very low traction conditions.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #1934
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
I am currently running the xi and I think the biggest difference I felt was smoothness. the zero is plenty smooth and completely capable of winning but to me the xi is smoother. lap times were the same and my consistency was the same. Guess its all driver preference. I am running a 21.5 so the differences may be more noticeable with a faster motor or boost.

$300 is a pretty close estimate give or take a little. Either chassis is great. only reason I have the xi is because a friend of mine was selling it and gave me a good deal on it. I wasn't looking for one. It found me. I am glad I own both chassis but I can't say I prefer one over the other. The differences are even less noticeable if you use the narrow chassis plate on the zero. I do think the xi has more chassis flex though. it may perform better in very low traction conditions.
I just can't get the zero s to 1380g without changing to all carbon fiber stuff. It's still 1460g after some serious weight reduction (removing all un-necessary stuff in the car, heat sink, smaller esc, low profile servo, etc).
We run 17.5t class here, 21.5t vta group is just way too slow for our track. Power and weight ratio is just so important on these cars.

So I just went to get the XI, 1346g immediately.
nicholasxuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #1935
Tech Regular

Iv started building my kit with the v2 vertical motor mount SAK-66/v2 and Iv found the stock and the carbon top deck Iv got wont fit by miles. Is there a special part number for use with this motor mount?
d.k.vmatt is offline   Reply With Quote