R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2012, 05:06 AM   #1696
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 67
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Thanks guys for the advice - really looking forward to the build and I know there's going to be more questions. Look forward to catching up at the track someday soon.

Pmac: didn't get to serccc today -Corp weather and had to do work. Another time.

BCZero: Wed night at the moment is a bit hard to get too due to a stupid night course. I've got an m05 so Ill prob try those springs then- didn't realize that theyll fit. I often drop into boronia during the week/weekend for a drive so might see you there. What have you got in the diffs and shocks. I was thinking of using 40wt in the shocks and I've got some different wt diff oils - 3k,100k& 300k I think.

See you around
Dave
davlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #1697
Tech Adept
 
BCZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 103
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Diffs I run 2000wt rear, and a solid axle front, but when I ran a front gear diff it was 300k and that worked well.

Shocks I'm running ae 30wt. But if you run at serccc mainly 40w is a better choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlind View Post
BCZero: Wed night at the moment is a bit hard to get too due to a stupid night course. I've got an m05 so Ill prob try those springs then- didn't realize that theyll fit. I often drop into boronia during the week/weekend for a drive so might see you there. What have you got in the diffs and shocks. I was thinking of using 40wt in the shocks and I've got some different wt diff oils - 3k,100k& 300k I think.

See you around
Dave
__________________
Stock: XRay T3 '12, F1: Tamiya F104v2, Buggy: Tamiya TRF201, SCT: AE SC10 4x4 FT, Radio: Airtronics MT-4
BCZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #1698
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 45
Default

Hi guys,

I've been racing 20-odd years and am just now starting to appreciate electric touring cars. I'm looking at getting a Zero S to race indoors on carpet, any advice please? Based on what I've read, the aluminium shocks seem like a sensible upgrade to give better damping performance.

Does it perform OK out of the box? Does anything wear out quickly?

I don't make a lot of mistakes (took me 20 years to learn that mind) so I'm not interested in changing something unless it adds performance or remedies an obvious weakness. That said, is there anything you guys would say needs to go on the car in addition to what's in the box, before it hits the track?

Cheers

Joe
Joe_Keaveney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #1699
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 5,626
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Keaveney View Post
Hi guys,

I've been racing 20-odd years and am just now starting to appreciate electric touring cars. I'm looking at getting a Zero S to race indoors on carpet, any advice please? Based on what I've read, the aluminium shocks seem like a sensible upgrade to give better damping performance.

Does it perform OK out of the box? Does anything wear out quickly?

I don't make a lot of mistakes (took me 20 years to learn that mind) so I'm not interested in changing something unless it adds performance or remedies an obvious weakness. That said, is there anything you guys would say needs to go on the car in addition to what's in the box, before it hits the track?

Cheers

Joe
Joe,

The car runs fine straight out of the box, and even the plastic shocks work fine. They have such little travel I don't think the alloy ones make much of a difference.

The upgrades that I recommend are more for ease of use than anything else. These are the vertical motor mount, spur gear adapter, 19T layshaft pulleys, belt tensioner. The 19T pulleys give a biy more slack to the belts and loose is fast. The vertical motor mount makes motor adjustments so much easier. The belt tensioner keeps the loose belt from flapping too much.

There are some mods you need to make in order to use these parts. The upper deck needs a little grinding, but this takes no time with a Dremel and a small sanding drum. The drive belts have to move to the opposite side of the chassis and this change means they interfere with the battery pack guides. These guides need to be altered but once done fit back onto the chassis.

Nothing hard but thought you should know. I posted pics of my modes in this thread some time ago.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #1700
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 45
Default

Thanks Steve,

I'll take a look. Many thanks for the tips.

Joe
Joe_Keaveney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #1701
Tech Regular
 
buckeye dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: hicksville ohio
Posts: 365
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default just got my zero

so what tow should i start with on rear of my new zero will be racing vta on carpet
buckeye dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #1702
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 52
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Sakura Zero S Vertical Motor mount issues

Can someone please post or PM me a picture of their Sakura Zero S with the Vertical Motor Mount SK-17 installed? I am having a really difficult time figuring out why my belt linked to the front of the car is not situated correctly.

Thanks!
nicetry2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #1703
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Joe,

The car runs fine straight out of the box, and even the plastic shocks work fine. They have such little travel I don't think the alloy ones make much of a difference.

The upgrades that I recommend are more for ease of use than anything else. These are the vertical motor mount, spur gear adapter, 19T layshaft pulleys, belt tensioner. The 19T pulleys give a biy more slack to the belts and loose is fast. The vertical motor mount makes motor adjustments so much easier. The belt tensioner keeps the loose belt from flapping too much.

There are some mods you need to make in order to use these parts. The upper deck needs a little grinding, but this takes no time with a Dremel and a small sanding drum. The drive belts have to move to the opposite side of the chassis and this change means they interfere with the battery pack guides. These guides need to be altered but once done fit back onto the chassis.

Nothing hard but thought you should know. I posted pics of my modes in this thread some time ago.
Agree that the plastic shocks work fine. The aluminium ones are more durable in a good impact and are capable of much finer tuning. Not a right away necessary upgrade but put it on the "going to get" list.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #1704
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye dan View Post
so what tow should i start with on rear of my new zero will be racing vta on carpet
For vta on carpet I ran 1 degree. Even tried 0 and it worked just fine. I would say 2 is max for vta. I run 3 in usgt but never even thought of 3 in vta.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #1705
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicetry2013 View Post
Can someone please post or PM me a picture of their Sakura Zero S with the Vertical Motor Mount SK-17 installed? I am having a really difficult time figuring out why my belt linked to the front of the car is not situated correctly.

Thanks!
Phone won't post pics but did you flip the belts to the opposite side and did you grind the battery mounts? Make sure the belt isn't rubbing the mounts.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #1706
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 5,626
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicetry2013 View Post
Can someone please post or PM me a picture of their Sakura Zero S with the Vertical Motor Mount SK-17 installed? I am having a really difficult time figuring out why my belt linked to the front of the car is not situated correctly.

Thanks!
Here you go.

Last edited by SteveM; 12-24-2015 at 08:58 AM.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #1707
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 52
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Here you go.
Thanks Steve!

Looks like I need to flip the rear set up so that my belts are they way yours are. I currently have them set up per the manual
nicetry2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #1708
Tech Addict
 
shadowracer24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: lakeland fla.
Posts: 737
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Have to say I am very impressed with this car. Was running an AE tc5r in vta here and it ran pretty good but could never seem to catch the guy who won every race with his Zero s, so I bit the bullet and ordered one, built it to the manual, and the first night out with it sat on the pole and won the A main. Would never have thought that a $100 car could outperform the likes of tc5s,tc6.1s, and xrays and havn"t even added any upgrades yet. Know can anyone tell me what tool to use to get this ear to ear grin off my face I can't seem to stop.
__________________
Richard Carpenter
SPEEDZONE Batteries Team Driver
BMI Team Driver
2014 F.E.D.S. Mod Sprint and Sportsman Late Model Champion
2013 FSERA World GT State Champion
shadowracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #1709
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowracer24 View Post
Have to say I am very impressed with this car. Was running an AE tc5r in vta here and it ran pretty good but could never seem to catch the guy who won every race with his Zero s, so I bit the bullet and ordered one, built it to the manual, and the first night out with it sat on the pole and won the A main. Would never have thought that a $100 car could outperform the likes of tc5s,tc6.1s, and xrays and havn"t even added any upgrades yet. Know can anyone tell me what tool to use to get this ear to ear grin off my face I can't seem to stop.
Don't need a tool for that one. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Its amazing the number of people who think they need an xray associated etc to be competitive. I have actually made a few people mad by beating them with a sakura. I'm glad that most people want to know more about the car and they are actually impressed that it does so well.

Keep the grin. it doesn't go away.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #1710
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 5,626
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicetry2013 View Post
Thanks Steve!

Looks like I need to flip the rear set up so that my belts are they way yours are. I currently have them set up per the manual
When using the vertical motor mount, the belts are reverse what the manual says.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sakura Zero - New Touring Car! InZane Electric On-Road 1355 02-14-2014 05:14 PM
New to the RC scene...need some help! Jmoney12 Rookie Zone 13 06-15-2010 10:21 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:32 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0