R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2012, 04:35 AM   #1681
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 67
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I've just purchased a Sakura zero s and will begin the build shortly. I've read through this forum and I'm going to get the 19t pulley, alum gear adapter for 19t, 5mm wheel adapters and vert motor mount (s17). I'm going to run in 21.5 blinky at local tracks in Melbourne (serccc and boronia) and was hoping for some advice on which spur/pinion. Not sure what FDR people Aim for at these tracks. I'm going to place an order shortly so was hoping for any advice from anyone who races here. I was planning on sticking with 48p.
Thanks
Dave
davlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #1682
Tech Addict
 
wollow86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hobart
Posts: 707
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlind View Post
I've just purchased a Sakura zero s and will begin the build shortly. I've read through this forum and I'm going to get the 19t pulley, alum gear adapter for 19t, 5mm wheel adapters and vert motor mount (s17). I'm going to run in 21.5 blinky at local tracks in Melbourne (serccc and boronia) and was hoping for some advice on which spur/pinion. Not sure what FDR people Aim for at these tracks. I'm going to place an order shortly so was hoping for any advice from anyone who races here. I was planning on sticking with 48p.
Thanks
Dave
Depending on the size of the track you'll probably want in the ballpark of 4.0 for a smaller track and 3.0 for a very large track. The biggest pinion smallest spur combo should be something like 40/60. I currently have 35/65 installed on my 21.5 car and there's not much more room. Greg over at Feral Batteries carries a robinson spur that should fit on the 3Racing alloy layshaft mount which is a 60t. I've got one here but haven't tried fit it yet.

I've run 3.9 with timing maxed on a short track, didnt bother to temp because the motor felt just above room temp. Thats on a Fantom Apex (revtech) with seis cooling fan, no heatsink. Lap times were about 10.5 seconds.
__________________
Supporting Aussie hobby shops:
- www.MRJRacing.com.au - - www.feralbatteries.com.au - - www.actionrc.com.au -
wollow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #1683
Tech Elite
 
Stanfsu's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,228
Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Stanfsu
Default

Thanks Scott. Next time that I'm there I will stop by and we look at my setup together. Thanks for your help

Stan


Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
After practicing with you a little on Wednesday I think a lot of it is in your set up. Were you on new tires? These can take a while to break in. How about traction compound? How much front and rear? What shock oil are you using and what springs? From your description of the problem sounds like its an off power corner entry issue. Try going to a softer spring in the front.

I'm sorry I didn't realize you were fighting the car that much. Please whenever you have a issue with the car come on over and ask. We can get you on a set up board and balance and tune the chassis as well as making a lot of adjustments to get it handling right. I probably won't be there this Saturday and they are closed next Wednesday night but I'm planning on being there the Saturday after that. A lot of guys there are or have run the sakura. If I'm not there ask grant. Chris can guide you in a direction but his experience is with x ray. still a great person to ask for set up tips.

keep posting in the forums and pm me if you like. I will be more than happy to help you get this chassis hooked up.

Just in case you don't remember me I have the yellow usgt corvette and the red Ferrari f1.
__________________
Losi | Futaba
Low Ballers will be ignored!
Stanfsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #1684
Tech Elite
 
orcadigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanfsu View Post
Thanks Scott. Next time that I'm there I will stop by and we look at my setup together. Thanks for your help

Stan
Scott is probably there more then me right now, but I'm always available for help as well. I am in the opposite corner from Scott (back left when facing the pit tables) with the Serpent pit mat and the green and white mustang VTA. I am running an S411 now, but ran the Sakura Zero for a while (Sonny is driving it there now in VTA). Chris sits across from me (green HPI F1 and the USGT with the blinding blue lights) and is better with things like roll center then I am. We all have setup boards and can help get you going though.

Grant

Attached a pic of my car. Makes it easier to find a person sometimes.
Attached Thumbnails
3Racing Sakura Zero S-mustang.jpg  
__________________
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #1685
Tech Elite
 
Stanfsu's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,228
Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Stanfsu
Default

Grant- That sounds great. Everyone at Hotshot's is very friendly and helpful

Stan


Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
Scott is probably there more then me right now, but I'm always available for help as well. I am in the opposite corner from Scott (back left when facing the pit tables) with the Serpent pit mat and the green and white mustang VTA. I am running an S411 now, but ran the Sakura Zero for a while (Sonny is driving it there now in VTA). Chris sits across from me (green HPI F1 and the USGT with the blinding blue lights) and is better with things like roll center then I am. We all have setup boards and can help get you going though.

Grant

Attached a pic of my car. Makes it easier to find a person sometimes.
__________________
Losi | Futaba
Low Ballers will be ignored!
Stanfsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #1686
Tech Regular
 
aquito's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 264
Default

Does anyone have a tip on how to install the motor on the Sakura? I can do it but it is soo damn hard to get th screws in with so little space?
aquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #1687
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquito View Post
Does anyone have a tip on how to install the motor on the Sakura? I can do it but it is soo damn hard to get th screws in with so little space?
Vertical motor mount.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #1688
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne South East
Posts: 51
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlind View Post
I've just purchased a Sakura zero s and will begin the build shortly. I've read through this forum and I'm going to get the 19t pulley, alum gear adapter for 19t, 5mm wheel adapters and vert motor mount (s17). I'm going to run in 21.5 blinky at local tracks in Melbourne (serccc and boronia) and was hoping for some advice on which spur/pinion. Not sure what FDR people Aim for at these tracks. I'm going to place an order shortly so was hoping for any advice from anyone who races here. I was planning on sticking with 48p.
Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave,

I am a novice in on road electrics but i have been to both locations with a 21.5t blinky touring car and currently have an fdr of 4.0 and would say it is a great place to start but on the dandy track you definitely need a lower one due to the long straight and flowing track (i can't say exactly what FDR as I don't know myself yet). the Boronia track is a bit tighter so a little lower than 4 but not much. I have a 70 tooth spur and 35 tooth pinion and am waiting on a 65 tooth spur and 33-38 tooth pinion kit so i can start experimenting.

I would also highly recommend a vertical motor mount as with the smaller spur gear it is impossible to move the motor to fit different pinions without removing the spur or putting a hole in the spur gear.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Patrick
__________________
Turnigy RWD SCT with 3000kv Hobbywing combo
Tamiya Nitrage 1/8 5.2cc Nitro Truggy
3Racing Sakura Zero 21.5T TC
3Racing Sakura Ultimate 13.5T TC
pmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #1689
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 67
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 21.5 blinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
Hi Dave,

I am a novice in on road electrics but i have been to both locations with a 21.5t blinky touring car and currently have an fdr of 4.0 and would say it is a great place to start but on the dandy track you definitely need a lower one due to the long straight and flowing track (i can't say exactly what FDR as I don't know myself yet). the Boronia track is a bit tighter so a little lower than 4 but not much. I have a 70 tooth spur and 35 tooth pinion and am waiting on a 65 tooth spur and 33-38 tooth pinion kit so i can start experimenting.

I would also highly recommend a vertical motor mount as with the smaller spur gear it is impossible to move the motor to fit different pinions without removing the spur or putting a hole in the spur gear.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Patrick
Hi Patrick
Thanks for the reply. I've already ordered the vert mount, gear adapter, 19t pulley, x-ray bumper (also a novice and guessing all the protection i can have can only help) and a 70t spur. I still need to get some pinions in the required range (got 27-32 & 38). Are you using the stock shocks and wheel adapters? That was two things that I'm thinking of changing. Also what diff/ shock weight oils are you using?
Hope to catch up at serccc one day soon - hoping to try to get down sometime tomorrow if weather ok.
Cheers
Dave
davlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #1690
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlind View Post
Hi Patrick
Thanks for the reply. I've already ordered the vert mount, gear adapter, 19t pulley, x-ray bumper (also a novice and guessing all the protection i can have can only help) and a 70t spur. I still need to get some pinions in the required range (got 27-32 & 38). Are you using the stock shocks and wheel adapters? That was two things that I'm thinking of changing. Also what diff/ shock weight oils are you using?
Hope to catch up at serccc one day soon - hoping to try to get down sometime tomorrow if weather ok.
Cheers
Dave
Stock shocks work well but the fine adjustability of the threaded bodies is awesome. Definitely upgrade but its not something that has to be done immediately. Sooner or later the stock plastic shock bodies will break in a good impact. That's when I upgraded mine.

Get rid of the stock plastic wheel hexes yesterday. They wear out grey fast and put too much pressure on the wheel bearing causing it to fail.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #1691
Tech Elite
 
Stanfsu's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,228
Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Stanfsu
Default

Does anyone have the part number for the Alum Spur Gear Holder for the Sakura Zero?
I cannot find anywhere?
__________________
Losi | Futaba
Low Ballers will be ignored!
Stanfsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #1692
Tech Apprentice
 
bakoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanfsu View Post
Does anyone have the part number for the Alum Spur Gear Holder for the Sakura Zero?
The part number is SAK-U05, and if I'm not mistaken, you'll also need SAK-06.

Last edited by bakoo; 06-30-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: spelling
bakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #1693
Tech Addict
 
FauxMako's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 523
Default

My rear belt was getting loose during every heat. I'd re-adjust the cams and get it back to normal, but it kept happening. Tore the car down tonight and found that the "bump" that holds the cam in place on one side is broken off.

Anyone else had this happen? Seems weird that the aluminum would shear off before the plastic cam broke.
Attached Thumbnails
3Racing Sakura Zero S-rearbulkhead.jpg  
__________________
Mike

3 3Racing Sakura Zeros: Mustang Boss VTA // Lexus LFA USGT // MazdaSpeed 6 TC
Mini M03 & M05
Life is better with a soundtrack
FauxMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #1694
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne South East
Posts: 51
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlind View Post
Hi Patrick
Thanks for the reply. I've already ordered the vert mount, gear adapter, 19t pulley, x-ray bumper (also a novice and guessing all the protection i can have can only help) and a 70t spur. I still need to get some pinions in the required range (got 27-32 & 38). Are you using the stock shocks and wheel adapters? That was two things that I'm thinking of changing. Also what diff/ shock weight oils are you using?
Hope to catch up at serccc one day soon - hoping to try to get down sometime tomorrow if weather ok.
Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave,

I am using the stock plastic shocks at the moment but may upgrade in the future.
I am using the 4mm metal wheel adapters as well as the sakura XI rear arms. Apparently meant to give better traction so i thought may as well try it for a starting point.
I'm using the stock shock oil and the stock diff oil in the rear diff and 30k in the front only because i haven't been able to find anything heavier in local hobby shops that I have been to.

serccc only had practise today as the rain was looming. hopefully in a fortnight it will be good weather.

Cheers,
Patrick
__________________
Turnigy RWD SCT with 3000kv Hobbywing combo
Tamiya Nitrage 1/8 5.2cc Nitro Truggy
3Racing Sakura Zero 21.5T TC
3Racing Sakura Ultimate 13.5T TC
pmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:32 AM   #1695
Tech Adept
 
BCZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 103
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlind View Post
Hi Patrick
Thanks for the reply. I've already ordered the vert mount, gear adapter, 19t pulley, x-ray bumper (also a novice and guessing all the protection i can have can only help) and a 70t spur. I still need to get some pinions in the required range (got 27-32 & 38). Are you using the stock shocks and wheel adapters? That was two things that I'm thinking of changing. Also what diff/ shock weight oils are you using?
Hope to catch up at serccc one day soon - hoping to try to get down sometime tomorrow if weather ok.
Cheers
Dave
Hey dave, i dont get down to dandy so can't comment on setup for serccc, but I run 4.1 ish at Boronia on the Sakura, seems to work the best. I'm still running 540 coz 21.5 blinky doesn't get points yet...but gearing about the same I'd reckon. Using the 70t spur, you want to be on a 31-33t pinion for boronia. Back end needs to be really squishy for this track, I use tamiya mini springs as they are all red, blue and yellow softer than the softest 3racing spring. Come say g'day when you're at boronia, will be great to have another Sakura there!

Cheers, Brendan
__________________
Stock: XRay T3 '12, F1: Tamiya F104v2, Buggy: Tamiya TRF201, SCT: AE SC10 4x4 FT, Radio: Airtronics MT-4
BCZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sakura Zero - New Touring Car! InZane Electric On-Road 1355 02-14-2014 05:14 PM
New to the RC scene...need some help! Jmoney12 Rookie Zone 13 06-15-2010 10:21 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:44 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0