R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #1546
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanfsu View Post
Thank Cannot make it this week but I will be there soon. Saturday nights are better for me. I have been there several times on the off-road track. This is my first on-road car and I am excited. I plan to race the VTA class soon. I will stop and say hi. I just painted a blue BMW body last night and it looks great
I'm usually there on Saturdays and not on Wednesdays but the past 2 weeks have been a little off schedule. I'm missing this Saturday but should be there the next. Have to get the f1 dialed for the series races.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #1547
Tech Master
 
rcduder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 1,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
Maybe the 1/12 is next???? It really makes sense for them to do it the way they did. F1 is very popular in aisa and a 4wd tc chassis is popular everywhere. Around here 1/12 is a come and go class. I haven't run my serpent in months. it sure is fun to drive though.
1/12 was one of my favorite classes but now there's no tracks for em around here even if i want to run touring i have to drive an hour there's someone talking about making an indoor carpet track and if so a 1/12 would be awesome and a sakura zero s to go along side as well a inexpensive 1/12 would be the coolest thing
rcduder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #1548
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcduder View Post
1/12 was one of my favorite classes but now there's no tracks for em around here even if i want to run touring i have to drive an hour there's someone talking about making an indoor carpet track and if so a 1/12 would be awesome and a sakura zero s to go along side as well a inexpensive 1/12 would be the coolest thing
1/12 is a blast. Our track had a good class over winter but the drivers got tired of buying tires. Seemed like a set only lasted a week or two.

A entry level 1/12 is definitely needed. I traded a losi 8 buggy for my serpent. Otherwise I wouldn't have a 1/12 at all.

I can't say enough good things about the sakura s. it has opened up a lot of new drivers to rc that don't want to or can't afford the decked out xray and associated chassis. I bought mine and added the options as I could afford. now it is a full blown zero. Just wish 3racing would do the xi the same way. I like the car but $375 is too much for me. I can honestly say if it weren't for the sakura s I wouldn't be racing rc.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #1549
Tech Addict
 
wollow86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hobart
Posts: 707
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
1/12 is a blast. Our track had a good class over winter but the drivers got tired of buying tires. Seemed like a set only lasted a week or two.

A entry level 1/12 is definitely needed. I traded a losi 8 buggy for my serpent. Otherwise I wouldn't have a 1/12 at all.

I can't say enough good things about the sakura s. it has opened up a lot of new drivers to rc that don't want to or can't afford the decked out xray and associated chassis. I bought mine and added the options as I could afford. now it is a full blown zero. Just wish 3racing would do the xi the same way. I like the car but $375 is too much for me. I can honestly say if it weren't for the sakura s I wouldn't be racing rc.
You could continue to hop up your s to XI spec?

If you think about it though, what would be different on an XI S over a zero s? The only common parts between an s and zero out of the box would be the arms, shims, screws, bumper...etc. if instead of buying alloy zero bulk heads, alloy XI ones were purchased, you could follow the upgrade path to the XI. Form what I can think of the only plastic parts not common between the two is the rear arms.

From zero spec, the major changes would be:

- Lower chassis: moves motor mount forward, different battery securing method, and on the DH split blocks. Also flex.
- upper deck: flex
- dual bell crank steering
- bulk head covers: allowing finer control of roll center changes and camber gain.
- narrow rear arms

Other then that, the only other difference is the diff mounting cams screw into place, and the rear bulkhead had the belt tensioner in it.
__________________
Supporting Aussie hobby shops:
- www.MRJRacing.com.au - - www.feralbatteries.com.au - - www.actionrc.com.au -
wollow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #1550
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollow86 View Post
You could continue to hop up your s to XI spec?

If you think about it though, what would be different on an XI S over a zero s? The only common parts between an s and zero out of the box would be the arms, shims, screws, bumper...etc. if instead of buying alloy zero bulk heads, alloy XI ones were purchased, you could follow the upgrade path to the XI. Form what I can think of the only plastic parts not common between the two is the rear arms.

From zero spec, the major changes would be:

- Lower chassis: moves motor mount forward, different battery securing method, and on the DH split blocks. Also flex.
- upper deck: flex
- dual bell crank steering
- bulk head covers: allowing finer control of roll center changes and camber gain.
- narrow rear arms

Other then that, the only other difference is the diff mounting cams screw into place, and the rear bulkhead had the belt tensioner in it.
Oh I agree. I don't think a xi would perform any better than my zero just like I don't think my zero performs any better than a stock sakura s. It would just be cool to do an xi. I had a blast building my s into a zero and I did it only because it was fun. Upgrading a xi s model would be fun too. I will have to think about taking a zero s to an xi. I might try it just for fun.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:41 AM   #1551
Tech Addict
 
wollow86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hobart
Posts: 707
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
Oh I agree. I don't think a xi would perform any better than my zero just like I don't think my zero performs any better than a stock sakura s. It would just be cool to do an xi. I had a blast building my s into a zero and I did it only because it was fun. Upgrading a xi s model would be fun too. I will have to think about taking a zero s to an xi. I might try it just for fun.
I think the way 3Racing does that is awesome. Because if you spend heaps on hop ups on a zero s, you just end up with the zero you couldn't afford to begin with.

It's the first car I recommend to a new racer who doesn't want to spend heaps.

I do think there are notable improvements though. I certainally noticed the difference taking my XI to XI DH spec. I have a 2nd hand zero s on the way that's basically a zero other then the lower chassis. So I'm going to get the XI rear bulk head covers and rear tower for it to use the same body holes as my XI, and just so happens I now have a spare XI chassis doing nothing.. So I will have a Zero/XI hybrid

One quick question though, the XI uses the same 171 rear belt as the zero/s, but the front belt for a zero/s is 522 opposed to 517 on the XI... Not sure why?
__________________
Supporting Aussie hobby shops:
- www.MRJRacing.com.au - - www.feralbatteries.com.au - - www.actionrc.com.au -
wollow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:14 AM   #1552
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SE Melbourne
Posts: 304
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone know if you can use the alloy c hubs and alloy knuckle arms from a TRF 416 on a Sakura Zero S?
__________________
SERCCC - The world's best temporary RC track ;)

SERCCC, www.serccc.com
Space for rent!
luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #1553
Tech Elite
 
Stanfsu's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,228
Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Stanfsu
Default

All - Any issues with using a 200mm body on the Sakura chassis?
__________________
Losi | Futaba
Low Ballers will be ignored!
Stanfsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #1554
Tech Addict
 
FauxMako's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanfsu View Post
All - Any issues with using a 200mm body on the Sakura chassis?
Nope, none at all. Depending on the body you may want to use wheels with higher offset to push them out to fill out the wheel wells. Thicker hexes can push them out a little as well (stock is 5mm, 6 and 7mm hexes are available).
__________________
Mike

3 3Racing Sakura Zeros: Mustang Boss VTA // Lexus LFA USGT // MazdaSpeed 6 TC
Mini M03 & M05
Life is better with a soundtrack
FauxMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #1555
Tech Addict
 
Rozzt_iwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sydney
Posts: 559
Send a message via MSN to Rozzt_iwa
Default

any suggestion i have just built the sakura s zero for us in VTA here is in australia using 21.5 i have already got new turnbuckles didn't like the 1's in the kit what gearing are ppl using for 21.5 any setup suggestions should i put into my car

thank you
__________________
B5M (17.5),cactus (17.5),sc10 short corse truck (10.5), sakura s zero VTA(21.5),mini-z
www.nbhc.com.au
supporting local hobby shops
http://www.iwawrestling.com.au
Rozzt_iwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:32 AM   #1556
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Norway
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicerX1 View Post
FYI in case anyone wants to know. I just installed a 72t 48p Kimbrough Spur and it fit perfectly into the spur holder. No cutting or grinding required. It was a tight and snug fit, which is a good thing.

Hi.

Do you have more information about your mod on the vertical engine kit? I have been thinking about doing this, but "everyone" have it on the other side. That seem a lot of work... This looks great. It works ok?
Anthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #1557
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luda View Post
Does anyone know if you can use the alloy c hubs and alloy knuckle arms from a TRF 416 on a Sakura Zero S?
They will fit with a little work. But a buddy of mine had problems with the front. Its not really worth the effort.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #1558
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozzt_iwa View Post
any suggestion i have just built the sakura s zero for us in VTA here is in australia using 21.5 i have already got new turnbuckles didn't like the 1's in the kit what gearing are ppl using for 21.5 any setup suggestions should i put into my car

thank you
Medium tracks les a FDR around 4.0. Large flowing tracks as low as 3.5. I'm running on a high traction indoor track and running 3.84 in the usgt class which is 21.5 because our vta is 25.5.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:49 AM   #1559
Tech Apprentice
 
team mopar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NW OHIO
Posts: 78
Default

Not to beat a dead horse the zero is the better car over the S ? Would this car be a wise choice for vta class? thanks for your input
team mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #1560
Tech Addict
 
wollow86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hobart
Posts: 707
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by team mopar View Post
Not to beat a dead horse the zero is the better car over the S ? Would this car be a wise choice for vta class? thanks for your input
The Zero is the full carbon/alloy beast that the Zero S is based on. Just like a T3 to T3R. More plastic and FRP then alloy and carbon.

The current top of the line 3Racing car is the XI, or more recently the XI DH.
__________________
Supporting Aussie hobby shops:
- www.MRJRacing.com.au - - www.feralbatteries.com.au - - www.actionrc.com.au -
wollow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sakura Zero - New Touring Car! InZane Electric On-Road 1355 02-14-2014 05:14 PM
New to the RC scene...need some help! Jmoney12 Rookie Zone 13 06-15-2010 10:21 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:14 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0