R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-12-2002, 08:43 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
Default Soldering packs......

I'm not a newbie, and i've built quite a few packs, but i have a problem with them staying together for the long run.........I've had a couple break in the past, and I just got 2 new packs that I can't get the solder to stick to at all! Its driving me nuts.....I even tried lightly sanding the ends of the battery to get a better connection.....is there one particular type of solder that works better than others? Elighten me please! Thanks for the help...
DJ_GenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 10:06 PM   #2
Tech Adept

ho many watts is your soldering iron and what type of solder do you use, i use 60/40 rosin core solder and it keeps my packs together very well

RSX Type 7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 10:15 PM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

use a better soldering iron...at least 75watt and above...i'm using 125watt for soldering my batts...
ozone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 08:17 AM   #4
Tech Regular

I use 60w iron and deans silver solder.

I used rosin core solder but it doesn't transfer the heat well enough causing all the mess.

Dens solder is working really well for me.
Fast heat transfer, it melts well and I get a cleaner result.

rcruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 09:33 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

just to point out here, soldering the cells together just puts an electical contact between them... it wasn't meant to withstand the forces pulling the cells apart (like when you crash, or even mishandling the cells physically). you'd need to physically secure the cells together, like gluing the cells, strapping/securing them tightly...

i guess the point here is that don't overdo the solder... the less solder between the bar and the cell the better... better contact is made by holding the bar against the cell, and applying the solder around the bar/cell contact point.

there was someone here on a prior discussion who is a 'certified solderer' of the navy, excuse the term, it escapes me now... got great tips on soldering... hope he'd join this thread to comment again... i think his handle was buda or something like that...
jericsm is offline   Reply With Quote