R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Fun Parking Lot Basher?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/446991-fun-parking-lot-basher.html)

vstrok 10-26-2010 08:56 AM

Fun Parking Lot Basher??

What would be a fun BL/4WD car for me and my buddy to race with in a local parking lot? Not looking for anything too pricey? How about the HPI Sprint Flux's??

CarbonJoe 10-26-2010 09:06 AM

How about a used TC3? Cheap, robust, and easy to get parts for. Shaft drive, so better for a parking lot (no stones in the belts).

locked 10-26-2010 09:21 AM

The biggest problem with a sprint 2 is that it has a tendency to vacuum up every little pebble into the area between the rear diff and the bottom chassis and then you will have chewed up belts and pulleys. If you cut out the area of the bottom chassis below the rear diff, it's it much less likely to do this. I think that the flux version comes with a bit too much motor. Sprint2s handle alright at slower speeds like in VTA, but at higher speeds the deficiencies of it's design become far more apparent. That 5700kv motor can also aid in chewing up parts rapidly.

I think Joe's suggestion of a shafty like a TC3 is probably better, although I've not driven one of those personally before.

dirty petcock 10-26-2010 09:29 AM

yup tc3 or tc4.. cheap strong and fun. it's no xray but for screwing around worth every penny. look on ebay you should find one for between 50 and 150 then get a cheap hobbywing brushless motor and esc combo for like $100 some $20 ebay LiPo's and your rollin' out.

Racecrafter 10-27-2010 07:22 AM

Tamiya TT01 or TT01E

Very inexpensive and tough as nails. Easy to drive, easy to maintain and upgrades are available if you want to go faster. :)

macavant 10-27-2010 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by vstrok (Post 8124428)
What would be a fun BL/4WD car for me and my buddy to race with in a local parking lot? Not looking for anything too pricey? How about the HPI Sprint Flux's??

I have an Ofna Jl10, and it works great. So far it has survived a Castle Sidewinder 5700/2s LiPo setup. The only part I have had to replace was a front c-hub (car met barrier). For the price and the components you get with $129, it's hard to beat. Its a 195mm width car, so your kinda limited to 200mm bodies.

rayrush 10-27-2010 09:39 PM

Tamiya Dfo3 ra .My friend and i have one each. They are great for on road, off road and drifting! My friend even races his on carpet and wins races in novice tho;) They take a beating and still keep going and going.

1101 10-27-2010 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Racecrafter (Post 8128926)
Tamiya TT01 or TT01E

Very inexpensive and tough as nails. Easy to drive, easy to maintain and upgrades are available if you want to go faster. :)

+1
TT01: strong enougth for figure8 racing :cool:
Just remember, its a basic basic car, dont get into hop-up habit & waste heaps of $$ on it.

or if you want something better, TB03 or Kyosho TF5, plastic tub cars

RCknight 10-28-2010 12:48 AM

I think the XXX-S is the best if you want to do mod speeds. It's smooth and quiet with no torque steer. I got a graphite version for cheap on ebay. Horizon was not smart for discontinuing it.

rc10t3b4 10-28-2010 05:13 AM

I agree about the xxx-s. It's an amazing car. No chassis flex with a graphite chassis. Its very smooth and easy to drive but it like a rocket with low turn motors. and with the sealed drivetrain, the belt, gears And diff last a long time.