Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats the best 21.5 brushless motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Whats the best 21.5 brushless motor?

I will be running Sport Stock GT and want a good strong dependable motor.
So far my choices are,
Epic 21.5 D3
Orion Vortech Pro Stk 21.5
Novak Balistic 21.5
Old 10-26-2010, 03:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by twelvegauge
I will be running Sport Stock GT and want a good strong dependable motor.
So far my choices are,
Epic 21.5 D3
Orion Vortech Pro Stk 21.5
Novak Balistic 21.5
I know the duo 1 and 2 are great fast motors so can't imagine the 3 will be a bad option.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Most of the guys that race at the track I will be going to run the Speed Passion esc with 17.5's either the x-12 or duo 2 or 3.
I have a GTB that I could use and go with a 17.5 but I like to be able to change timing with the tekin and I knoe the GTB can't touch te Speed Passion
I cant decide what to do.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the express motors are fast always battling it out with a lrp at my track

thoose seem to be the top ones right now
Old 05-06-2016, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

old post but a question that i would love an answer to...

Our clubs Tamiya M class allows any 21.5t motor. ...as the Tamiya M chassis uses a fixed gearing you eliminate one huge variable (of course cars can still go faster depending on a number of other technical factors and driver skill). But curious what the fastest 21.5t motor is out there??

Our top 21.5t's that I am aware of:
R1
Team Powers
Tekin
Revtech Killshot
Revtech 24k ---everyone seems to rave about this motor ???

I'd really like to get a motor checker and a dozen motors!! Ha, but w/o the extra $$ to blow on that curious what your opinions are???
Old 05-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
old post but a question that i would love an answer to...

Our clubs Tamiya M class allows any 21.5t motor. ...as the Tamiya M chassis uses a fixed gearing you eliminate one huge variable (of course cars can still go faster depending on a number of other technical factors and driver skill). But curious what the fastest 21.5t motor is out there??

Our top 21.5t's that I am aware of:
R1
Team Powers
Tekin
Revtech Killshot
Revtech 24k ---everyone seems to rave about this motor ???

I'd really like to get a motor checker and a dozen motors!! Ha, but w/o the extra $$ to blow on that curious what your opinions are???
My Trackstar v2 21.5 has no problem keeping up with, and passing, those top brand motors. For a fraction of the price too. Now that's in our CTA/USGT class where we can adjust the fdr.

If you have fixed gearing, you may need to find a motor that best suits that gearing. With my V2, I would gear it around 3.8 fdr, whereas my Novak Ballistic would be geared around 4 fdr. The V2 motor has a ton of torque with its 12.5mm rotor, but still has very good top end.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

CamLS touched on what I was going to address. Fixed gearing creates a new problem with motors because they differ wildly in regards to rpm versus torque. A heavier rotor will generally produce more torque and vice versa with lighter rotors, stator design plays a part as well.

I would argue that there is no one true "fastest" motor once you get into the top tier of quality and design, just different characteristics. What sets motors apart are their staying power and consistency as a race progresses.

So with fixed gearing you are left with an option to change motors according to the size and layout of the track or adjusting timing to get more top-end or bottom-end out of the motor.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

My Trackstar v2 21.5 has no problem keeping up with, and passing, those top brand motors. For a fraction of the price too. Now that's in our CTA/USGT class where we can adjust the fdr.

If you have fixed gearing, you may need to find a motor that best suits that gearing. With my V2, I would gear it around 3.8 fdr, whereas my Novak Ballistic would be geared around 4 fdr. The V2 motor has a ton of torque with its 12.5mm rotor, but still has very good top end.

interesting, ...I will consider that for sure.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

dang you can get that motor for $35 on fleeBay!!!
Old 05-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

With a fixed FDR you end up playing the rotor game finding the right rotor for your track. Damn gauss readings...
Old 05-06-2016, 03:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

If your club has no timing restrictions, then you have some good options. At our track rpm is key for Mini.

R1 v11 - is suppose to be the motor, really fast. Have yet to try or see one at the track in a Mini.
Team Powers - is just ok for Mini, but great in my kid's GT3 car.
Revtech Killshot - very fast motor with the rpm rotor.
Novak Vulcan. My personal choice. Timing turned way up. Very fast, but runs cool.
Trackstar - Only fast if modded for more timing, but I like this motor. Still not the quickest.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

How has nobody mentioned the Motiv? Things are badass...!
Old 05-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

-yes this is all directed specifically for my Mini.

Great info here,

Our fastest driver runs the R1 V11. -I've been using the Revtech Killshot (the high rpm version), I used to like it more, but it seems slow to me now. I am having a hard time keeping up w/ the a few guys (an R1 and a Team Powers). Granted it could be there driving compared to mine and min setup ...but I swear I am running a near perfect line.

I've been racing for a few years, but only in this class have I really noticed the motor difference being a huge deal. -as we are all so close w/ our final times. Question, can motors start to perform less than when they were new ..does this happen? Wondering if my motor isn't performing as it once was? -It has 2 1/2 race seasons on it. Maybe its time to try a new motor?? I have a Speed Passion, its okay, ...Its fast but runs really hot towards the end of the race and slows my car down ...not consistent at all (when I turn timing down its not fast enough).

Yes, we allow timing adjustment on the physical motor (not the esc).
next year we move to TCS rules and all have to run the same motor (that I actually look forward to).
Old 05-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Age & wear are more likely to be noticeable on the battery, than on the motor.

Once the resistance goes up and your average voltage goes down, you lose that "punch".
Old 05-06-2016, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Buy some new batteries and run the Reedy motor. Saying the R1 is the reason Chris is fast is a little short sighted.
Originally Posted by eR1c
-yes this is all directed specifically for my Mini.

Great info here,

Our fastest driver runs the R1 V11. -I've been using the Revtech Killshot (the high rpm version), I used to like it more, but it seems slow to me now. I am having a hard time keeping up w/ the a few guys (an R1 and a Team Powers). Granted it could be there driving compared to mine and min setup ...but I swear I am running a near perfect line.

I've been racing for a few years, but only in this class have I really noticed the motor difference being a huge deal. -as we are all so close w/ our final times. Question, can motors start to perform less than when they were new ..does this happen? Wondering if my motor isn't performing as it once was? -It has 2 1/2 race seasons on it. Maybe its time to try a new motor?? I have a Speed Passion, its okay, ...Its fast but runs really hot towards the end of the race and slows my car down ...not consistent at all (when I turn timing down its not fast enough).

Yes, we allow timing adjustment on the physical motor (not the esc).
next year we move to TCS rules and all have to run the same motor (that I actually look forward to).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.