R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default BMI WGT handling issue

My BMi WGT has a handing problem. It seems want to grip roll turning sharp right turns and understeer a bit turning left. I have checked the obvious things and rebuilt the side dampers etc but still seems to be a problem so looking for some help?

tim fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My semi educated guess is that the car is tweaked, it is very possible for a BMI car to be tweaked. Check the bolts and nuts holding the rear flex plates on, the ones on the front of the flex plates, in a bad crash they can shift or take a set and tweak the car. Make sure tire sizes are even left to right, both front and rear, make sure you have the same ride height spacers installed the same way in the rear(seen them wrong many times), make sure front ride height is the same left to right I would actually measure the axles from the table with the wheels off.
Make sure the camber and caster are even left to right, both move freely, damper tubes both free to move both directions, etc.
Put the car on a tweak board if possible and see if level, you can actually adjust the tweak on a BMI by putting a very thin washer under one raer link or the other, in between the lower standoff and the link, to adjust tweak if can't fix any other way.
Make sure the diff works well, not tight or loose, and check to see if the body is rubbing on a front tire or hanging up the pod or wires... GOOD LUCK!
Ahhhh, I could'a got a falcon!
Ffejdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Check your front springs also, one might have collapsed some causing the tweak.
Greg Dobrosky
Showtime Designs

BMI - Parma - The Raceway at Beaver, PA
-showtime- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Tech Lord
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

There are many things to check and alot have been listed. A few more are to check that your servo is centered and the steering turnbuckles are equal in length. If not you will have different steering geometry from left to right. Also make sure that you set your left and right hand circles evenly. You want it to turn 2-3 ft circles and make sure that your circles are the same left and right. When our car becomes tweaked, there is something wrong with one of the parts.(broken or shifted). You dont want to compensate by altering the flex plate heights. That will mask the problem but not fix it. All of the other suggestions are very good also. If you cant figure it out, let me know and we will get it fixed for you.
Jason Breiner
BMI Racing
Team Associated
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote