Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removing rubber/foam/glue from wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

Default Removing rubber/foam/glue from wheels

I picked up 6 sets of TC white wheels that fit my TC from a local kid and they appear to be in good shape except at one time inserts appeared to have been glued to the rim interior along with the leftover bits of tire. Is there a link or a suggested procedure for salvaging them? Tried soaking in GooGone. What about nitro cleaner or? Didn't pay anything so they can just go in the trash if need be. Thanks
Old 03-12-2002, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

You could get some debonder...I use denatured alcohol to clean up wheels and bodies...
Old 03-12-2002, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

#1 tire remover
http://www.rcracenews.co.uk/trakside/
Old 03-12-2002, 08:35 PM
Tech Adept

you can also try boiling the rims in water and then take off what is left
Old 03-12-2002, 09:39 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks. There had to be a ton of glue on these things. Alcohol first. No luck Went to the debonder it worked a bit.(didn't let it sit long enough) Boiled them and then hit them with the debonder again and final cleaning with alcohol. My fingers are now like drunken prunes from the Debond/Alcohol. LOL

Not going to complain. It was worth the labor. Six sets of like new wheels that fit.

Last edited by MDM3; 03-12-2002 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:05 PM
Tech Regular

Usually the wheel materials break into two categories. First there are the wheels that can't handle acetone, but can handle boiling. Secondly there are the wheels that can handle acetone, but not boiling.

Acetone:
take a small cantainer and pour 1 cm of acetone in it. Then just put your wheels in the bottom for some time. Then flip them over and wait again. After this the CA is usually broken down.

Boiling:
Take a pot and add a liter of water with around five tablespoons of salt. Then put the wheels in the water and let them boil gently for ~40min. The rubber will come off easily.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:20 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up Tire removal

Bake em at 300 for 30 minutes turning once. Its like peeling a banana.

D. Root
Old 03-13-2002, 07:38 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what the bake'em? wouldnt the rim melt or something like that?
Old 03-13-2002, 07:39 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by JesseT
Usually the wheel materials break into two categories. First there are the wheels that can't handle acetone, but can handle boiling. Secondly there are the wheels that can handle acetone, but not boiling.

Acetone:
take a small cantainer and pour 1 cm of acetone in it. Then just put your wheels in the bottom for some time. Then flip them over and wait again. After this the CA is usually broken down.

Boiling:
Take a pot and add a liter of water with around five tablespoons of salt. Then put the wheels in the water and let them boil gently for ~40min. The rubber will come off easily.
no wonder...i thought i just had to soak them in boiling water..hahaha......ill try that later!
Old 03-13-2002, 10:16 AM
Tech Adept

Didn't know about the salt. I know next time I mess with a lot of debond I will wear gloves. The fingertips are still shriveled and it is more than 12hrs later.
Old 03-13-2002, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Ahh... the salt raises the boiling point of water so the temp. of boiling (salt) water is higher.... bravo JesseT!
Old 03-13-2002, 03:11 PM
Tech Addict

Default Tire Removal

I have tried the Acetone way (too Slow), boiling them (not quite enough heat) and baking them. I have only done this with off road wheels and that could be different. Both 1/10 and 1/8. Boiling just doesn't release the CA for me. That is why I tried to bake them. I figured if 212f isn't hot enough, I would try 260f. That is how 300 for 30 minutes works out. I checked them with my Raytech. When the rubber gets to 260f, the tires peel right off. I let 'em cool first. I learned this because I am Thrifty (cheap).
I have never melted a wheel. I have done both plastic and nylon.

David Root. Don't knock it until you try it. MmmmTire aroma ina the house. Mmm
Old 03-13-2002, 08:38 PM
Regional Moderator

hahaha....but did the rim go really really soft?

argh...doesnt make any sence...but you said it worked....

ill just boil the wheel...
Old 03-13-2002, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

Am I missing something. Since new to TCs, My only experience is messing with a ton of foam tires wheels in the past on pan cars. Do people glue their inserts to the wheels? I didn't think so and other guys told me no way. But all six sets of these wheels had a ton of foam bits and glue in the middle.