Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Just picked up the Traxxas Rally car.. >

Just picked up the Traxxas Rally car..

Just picked up the Traxxas Rally car..

Old 10-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Talking Just picked up the Traxxas Rally car..

Hey guys, not sure if this should go here or offroad I figure it fits here better. Anyway, I just went out and snagged the new Traxxas rally car. Damn me being an impulse buyer

I thought I'd share some pics that aren't from the factory. The pics on the website don't really give you a good enough idea how small this thing really is. A lot of people thought a 1/10 TC body would work if you got creative with the wheel wells, I am here to say NO WAY, lol.

It sits just lower then arms-level from the factory. The shocks have 0 preload on them, the adjustment collars are just barely touching the springs. In typical Traxxas fashion, they could use re-filling already Box stock it has 1/2" of ground clearance. When the shocks are fully extended it has 7/8" clearance. So by taking out the limiters from inside the shocks you could get plenty of ground clearance for decent sized bumps and jumps. It has way more clearance than the HPI rally car did, and I made my HPI car fly over 1/10 scale size jumps just fine.

A few more pics here

I am waiting for the batteries to charge then I'm going to play. I'll post action shots and what not later. Any questions, or specific pics anyone wants, feel free. I know there was a lot of interest in this thing, but no one had them yet.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

We sold about 4 of them at the hobbyshop yesterday. They are pretty cool and accept any normal 1/10th tc wheels.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

This is the 2nd one the LHS I went to sold. They got 1 of each color. Unfortunately an employee beat me to the green one when they got them in yesterday The tires that are on it feel like 80percent plastic 20 percent rubber lol should be interesting.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Wow! 2 batteries in series is insane in this thing. The stock tires don't seem grippy enough for all the power. Made me second guess their advertising them as tires developed to not feel like you are driving on ice. Full throttle was impossible. I slowly ramped up to full throttle a few times, and every time it would slide out while accelerating. It could also be because it's incredibly windy in Jersey today. I tried to drive down a gravel path, it was too loose and soft to where it just high centered the chassis. I'd be willing to bet with actual rally tires, and with the shocks preloaded to get some height to it, it would do just fine. But little rocks do get stuck in the rims and lock them up. Here's a few pics and a short vid I put together of it running around. It's nothing special, there is only so much 1 person can do

Bottom is a little scratched up..

Hope you didn't expect the logos to stay there..

Try to give you an idea how hard the tires really are..

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

looks like it will make a great drift car
Old 10-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Warmer pavement would help it for sure. It's only around 50* out and windy as hell.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

It was pretty obvious in their advertising (particularly the videos) that they were selling this almost as a drift car, trying to simulate the rally style of drifting turns on pavement, etc...
Old 10-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Initiate

I wonder what the handling would be like with regular touring car tires?

Throw some on and let us know.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:01 AM
Tech Master

Thats the plan for later today. All my tc tires are pretty shot except my vintage set, so I'll put them on and see how it does.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I'd hate to start a new class, but with real TC rubbers and a more reasonable motor/battery combo we could have a new generation Mini class on our hands. All haters must understand I like Mini racing as it is, but Traxxas might be on to something.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

let's see some jump!!!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Tried it out with the vta tires on it, and now it is way too grippy It goes up on 2 wheels pretty easy and if you're not quick enough, it goes tumbling. I was at a nice smooth, recently resealed parking lot for a few minutes, before I got kicked out by a power tripping security guy. I've been going there for months, even with nitro trucks, and every other security person stopped to watch for a few mins, thought it was cool and left me alone. Anyway I got to do 2 high speed passes before I was kicked out. I don't think this body has the aero to pull 50mph stably. It got up to 35+ and started tumbling out of no where. My tc3 does around 33-35mph, so I know what that speed looks like and it was going a decent amount faster.

After all that I found a school parking lot, wasn't anything special, so I didnt bother filming. As far as jumps, well I caught a nice lip on the pavement that I didn't see, and the car jumped about 3 feet in the air, it flew perfectly level, landed with no bounce and kept going. Even with all the tumbling, and there was a lot of it only the body is a bit scratched up. The rest of it is fine.

I will be bringing it by an offroad track tomorrow morning on my way home from work. Vid of that will be up tomorrow by noon.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

So with decent tires and just one battery is it the "Slash" onroad has been looking for?
Old 10-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pejota
So with decent tires and just one battery is it the "Slash" onroad has been looking for?
I'd be willing to say yes. Being only my 2nd run with it, I had to do the dual battery setup again. It's just too much fun not to Tonight I will be playing with it using a single battery during my breaks at work to see the difference. I'm pretty sure it will handle it much better. They probably only advertise the high speed aspect of it because the chassis can hold 2 batteries. It feels like total overkill, but it is fun. I read over on the trx forums there are people looking to stuff MMM systems in them. Those people are crazy, they haven't even driven the car yet and want it to go faster. Box stock it's got more speed than it can handle. I can only imagine how sick it would be on 3s.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

[QUOTE= As far as jumps, well I caught a nice lip on the pavement that I didn't see, and the car jumped about 3 feet in the air, it flew perfectly level, landed with no bounce and kept going. Even with all the tumbling, and there was a lot of it only the body is a bit scratched up. The rest of it is fine.

I will be bringing it by an offroad track tomorrow morning on my way home from work. Vid of that will be up tomorrow by noon.[/QUOTE]

Video would be cool. UP,UP and away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.