Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Charging "Rechargeable Alkaline" batteries. >

Charging "Rechargeable Alkaline" batteries.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charging "Rechargeable Alkaline" batteries.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 02:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Lightbulb Charging "Rechargeable Alkaline" batteries.

Are these batteries that different that you have to use the special charger that comes with them? Or can we use one of our R/C type chargers for them? The charger that comes with them is too slow and only charges 4 cells.
I use them in my transmitter, because i got them cheap and they put out 1.5 volts, they also last longer than cheap ni-cads.
Any input is appreciated.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Honestly, I don't know if our standard R/C chargers would work on them, but I haven't had to worry about it, as I bought the better charger from Rayovak, it does 8 at a time, & seems to peak them noticably quicker too.....
Old 04-11-2002, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

I charge my Micro Rs4 batteries on a regular charger, they are rechargeable AAs... I charge at .5 amps
Old 04-11-2002, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

any of you guys used this battery http://www.alcava.com/ ?
i think its similar to the rechargeable alkalines that youre talking about. these are localy available where im from and i wonder if theyre any good. im about to get some for my transmitters.

destrega: what is the brand that you use? how many times can you recharge the rechargeable alkalines before you replace them with new ones? do they loose voltage and runtime on the succeeding charges? thanks for any info
Old 04-11-2002, 07:37 PM
Tech Initiate

i use "pure energy" batteries and i've had the same ones for over a year. They aren't as good as they once were, but as long as you charge them right after you use them they last very long.
My transmitter still reads 11.5 volts after all this time.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah, I have the Rayovaks, & they work the same way. They'll last quite some time if you keep them charged(so I recharge them as soon as I get home from the track, & then again right before I go to the track). I've had sets last at least a year before I noticed any loss of run time(their voltage stays good regardless, as long as they're taken care of properly), & that's from using them in my KO Mars & running 2 cars per race night with it.....
Old 04-13-2002, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

thanks ill get some for my transmitter. i use my radio almost every week and i just have to keep in mind to charge the batts before and after i use them. im currently using 1000mah nimhs that read less than 10v fully charged on my 3pj. maybe the rechargeable alkalines will put out a higher voltage. i think this increases the radio's range and helps prevent glitches.
Old 04-13-2002, 12:23 AM
Regional Moderator

marvi, where'd you find these cells here?
Old 04-13-2002, 09:49 PM
Tech Initiate

i don't know about there, but up here you can buy them at Walmart etc.
Old 04-13-2002, 09:56 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by marvi
thanks ill get some for my transmitter. i use my radio almost every week and i just have to keep in mind to charge the batts before and after i use them. im currently using 1000mah nimhs that read less than 10v fully charged on my 3pj. maybe the rechargeable alkalines will put out a higher voltage. i think this increases the radio's range and helps prevent glitches.
if you use only 8 cell in your transmitter...it would definately have a reading less then 10V....those nicd AA cells have only 1.2 volts in them...so it comes out to 9.6V after you charge them!
Old 04-13-2002, 09:58 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what R/C chargers do you charge your AA cells with?
i use my millennium and i could only charge them 4 cells at a time when they said it could charge 8 cells....it just false peak like hell!

i used the pitbull before..and its quite nice.....never have any false peak problems!
Old 04-13-2002, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Addict sa RC
marvi, where'd you find these cells here?
i saw the alcava cells in office warehouse, festival mall, alabang. jericsm told me there was another branch in makati, im not sure where. i forgot the exact price but i think theyre cheaper than GP brand nimhs.