R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #121
Tech Addict
 
wollow86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hobart
Posts: 707
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
I'm a bit confused as to why you would even compare the MI1 against a Sakura XI. The MI1 in basic form is a apples to oranges comparison. The XI is a high performance chassis. Then again, put threaded shocks,a carbon fiber chassis and anti roll bars on a MI1 and I'm sure it would be very close in performance.
If anything, the right comparison would be a MI1 against a Sakura S.
If you like Schumacher as I do and want performance at higher levels, find a used MI4LP. We race on a 80x45 asphalt lot with VERY technical layouts. The Schuie ROCKS !
Apart from threaded shocks, my mi1 is as you said above. Cf chassis, shock towers and top deck, alloy diff housings and layshaft mount, alloy suspension mounts, roll bars...

The reason I compare those 2 is because I own both and have raced both on the same tracks with the same setups. And so far I have spent less on the XI (including the price of the chassis) on the Mi1.

Should I compare it to a chassis I've never owned or raced in the same class? Can you really compare a $100 chassis to $165 one? I think a closer comparison would be a TC5 @$199.
__________________
Supporting Aussie hobby shops:
- www.MRJRacing.com.au - - www.feralbatteries.com.au - - www.actionrc.com.au -
wollow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #122
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NY&FL
Posts: 3,359
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Cost issue has no bearing. It's all about the design. Sakura is new, MI1 is a 10 year old design. MI1 is most definitely a intermediate level chassis. Although it can easily be made to perform better, it isn't meant to compete on equal footing with the XI OR the TC5 for that matter. But again, on the right track with the right upgrades,in the right class.....I'm confident the MI1 could hold it's own. The other reason I like Schumacher is because of the company itself. Great product support. The Mission/MI1 is still actively being supported and that's saying something.
Hope that clarifies things a bit.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #123
Tech Addict
 
wollow86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hobart
Posts: 707
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Cost issue has no bearing. It's all about the design. Sakura is new, MI1 is a 10 year old design. MI1 is most definitely a intermediate level chassis. Although it can easily be made to perform better, it isn't meant to compete on equal footing with the XI OR the TC5 for that matter. But again, on the right track with the right upgrades,in the right class.....I'm confident the MI1 could hold it's own. The other reason I like Schumacher is because of the company itself. Great product support. The Mission/MI1 is still actively being supported and that's saying something.
Hope that clarifies things a bit.
I'm not quite sure I follow your logic here Evo.. So its ok to be slower because its based on an older design? If someone is looking at a Mi1 as a new car, you cant turn around and say its good if you spend $90 on shocks and $150 on carbon fiber... And then only on the right track.

Unfortunately, parts support in Australia isn't as good as it is in the US or the UK for Schumacher. Its the main reason I retired the Mi1, from boosted stock. I will see how it goes in 540. I had a minimum of 5days wait if I was lucky and if I forked out for express post from the US. There are still places in Aus that can get me the parts, but they don't really keep much in stock so the shipping delay was even bigger.

I didnt expect my laptimes to drop with the new chassis. Especially because I still havent gotten used to the new car yet, and havent explored setup options fully. I beat my PB with the Mi1 on the very first run though. Id only put 1/2 a pack through the car the day before race day. I was blown away when I saw the times and I'd beaten it by .7 of a second.

Don't get me wrong. I, just like you, love the fact that a 10yr old chassis can be this competitive, and that anyone with an original Mission can bring their car out of mothballs. That's fantastic.

But if you had to buy a Mi1, and as you say, add on those upgrades to make it competitive, why shouldn't it be compared on price? At the end of the day, isn't that why a new racer would buy this car? Because you can say "my chassis is based on a 10 year old design"?
__________________
Supporting Aussie hobby shops:
- www.MRJRacing.com.au - - www.feralbatteries.com.au - - www.actionrc.com.au -
wollow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:27 AM   #124
Tech Fanatic
 
macdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 915
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollow86 View Post
I'm not quite sure I follow your logic here Evo.. So its ok to be slower because its based on an older design?

I didnt expect my laptimes to drop with the new chassis. Especially because I still havent gotten used to the new car yet, and havent explored setup options fully. I beat my PB with the Mi1 on the very first run though. Id only put 1/2 a pack through the car the day before race day. I was blown away when I saw the times and I'd beaten it by .7 of a second.

So are you saying you are faster with the MI1?
__________________
---------------
KO Eurus / Orca / MMP / XB2 / 22-4 /
macdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #125
Tech Addict
 
wollow86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hobart
Posts: 707
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Sorry that part isn't clear. After 9 months racing and tuning the Mi1, I was able to beat my PB (set with the Mi1) with the XI, by .7 sec in its very first run. By the end of the day I'd dropped down to about 1 second faster then my previous PB. with the two chassis, my current best times were: Mi1: 20.290 XI: 19.160

Same tyres, same FDR, same esc and motor setup same batteries, same shock oil and as close as possible in springs. Camber, castor and toe mostly the same as well.

I want to be clear I'm not trying to rubbish the Mi1, I'm simply stating my experience with it compared to a top level race chassis. I'm not planning on selling the Mi1 any time soon, i will try it in 540 and see how it goes. I also plan on it being the backup car for a local race series we have coming up. Had my speed improvements taken longer I would have just believed it was the extra practice.
__________________
Supporting Aussie hobby shops:
- www.MRJRacing.com.au - - www.feralbatteries.com.au - - www.actionrc.com.au -
wollow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #126
Tech Fanatic
 
macdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 915
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollow86 View Post
Sorry that part isn't clear. After 9 months racing and tuning the Mi1, I was able to beat my PB (set with the Mi1) with the XI, by .7 sec in its very first run. By the end of the day I'd dropped down to about 1 second faster then my previous PB. with the two chassis, my current best times were: Mi1: 20.290 XI: 19.160

Same tyres, same FDR, same esc and motor setup same batteries, same shock oil and as close as possible in springs. Camber, castor and toe mostly the same as well.

I want to be clear I'm not trying to rubbish the Mi1, I'm simply stating my experience with it compared to a top level race chassis. I'm not planning on selling the Mi1 any time soon, i will try it in 540 and see how it goes. I also plan on it being the backup car for a local race series we have coming up. Had my speed improvements taken longer I would have just believed it was the extra practice.
Ok that is what I thought you where stating. Just wanted to make sure. I haven't dusted my axis off in a while. Been running the Top Photon, which is pretty good. I know a bunch of guys that switched from it to the T3 and where faster. But I still know guys that are winning with the Photon, so as the tech gets better the faster and easier the cars are to drive. And that does make you faster. There is a reason that the MI1 is and entry level car.
__________________
---------------
KO Eurus / Orca / MMP / XB2 / 22-4 /
macdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #127
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 257
Default Snapped Diff Screw

Well, I like many aspects of my Mi1 but I haven't been able to race it much due to continuously snapping front diff screws The head of the screw pops off almost immediately each run unless I run the front diff very loose (compromising performance). I have tried 3 different screw designs and materials (titanium, blackend steel, and stainless steel). Has anyone else delt with this issue?

Other bummers:
- not having threaded shock bodies makes it darn near impposible to properly adjust ride height
-the centre/layshaft pulley is not concentric (in my kit anyway)
-rear belt tension is way way way too tight (yes the centre bulkheads were installed correctly)
DavidNERODease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #128
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NY&FL
Posts: 3,359
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNERODease View Post
Well, I like many aspects of my Mi1 but I haven't been able to race it much due to continuously snapping front diff screws The head of the screw pops off almost immediately each run unless I run the front diff very loose (compromising performance). I have tried 3 different screw designs and materials (titanium, blackend steel, and stainless steel). Has anyone else delt with this issue?

Other bummers:
- not having threaded shock bodies makes it darn near impposible to properly adjust ride height
-the centre/layshaft pulley is not concentric (in my kit anyway)
-rear belt tension is way way way too tight (yes the centre bulkheads were installed correctly)
Pretty odd about the diff. Schumacher developed the original ball diff and they've always been good. Are you sure something isn't binding ?? can't remember but does the Mi1 use the set screw (grub screw) to hold the diff position after you set the tension ?? If so, is it possible you're tightening that screw too much.
The spacers available for the shocks should give you enough adjustability for ride height. Is it to low or to high ??
The layshaft pulley would be an issue. probably a bad production run. replace it.
have you tried soaking the belt in wd40 overnight ?? Also, boiling it in hot water can help also. Install it right after boiling.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #129
Tech Addict
 
wollow86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hobart
Posts: 707
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

That diff problem is weird. I run my front diff very tight, only cracked a diff ring once and that's it's.

My layshaft wobbles too. My solution was the alloy gear adapter and a Robinson supalite spur. These are narrower and doesn't touch the top deck.

The rear belt eases off after a few runs, but using the alloy layshaft mount also seemed to losen the rear belt tension.

The shock spacers are a pain. It makes it easier if you have some extra spacers though. Either buy more Schumacher ones or I used tamiya ones I had from my m05.
__________________
Supporting Aussie hobby shops:
- www.MRJRacing.com.au - - www.feralbatteries.com.au - - www.actionrc.com.au -
wollow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:38 AM   #130
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NZ
Posts: 674
Default

Im thinking about getting a used Mi1 as a fun/hack car
Will the diff cope with low turn BL motors?? say a 7T ??
1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #131
Tech Master
 
rcduder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 1,124
Default

does this kit come with this:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...o-Mounting-Kit

included in the kit or should i buy it seperate ? it would be helpful too know so i dont just go ahead and buy it and have two, and waste my money
rcduder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #132
Tech Addict
 
wollow86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hobart
Posts: 707
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcduder View Post
does this kit come with this:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...o-Mounting-Kit

included in the kit or should i buy it seperate ? it would be helpful too know so i dont just go ahead and buy it and have two, and waste my money
Yep, its in the kit. Though mine never worked very well. I ended up using tape.
__________________
Supporting Aussie hobby shops:
- www.MRJRacing.com.au - - www.feralbatteries.com.au - - www.actionrc.com.au -
wollow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #133
Tech Master
 
rcduder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 1,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollow86 View Post
Yep, its in the kit. Though mine never worked very well. I ended up using tape.
ok sweet thank you for the quick response! ill try it out and see if i might have too pick up some tape or not

would this kit perform well in club racing 17.5 touring? and how about mod if i was too move up ?
rcduder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #134
Tech Fanatic
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 822
Default

The only part of the mount kit that I use is the lipo guard, I figure its an added layer of security.... Not sure how well it protects, but you get the idea.

I think you'll be surprised at how well this car performs right out of the box. I'm three race nights in with mine, and couldn't be happier. I've run this car in our scale spec class, which is a hybrid of the VTA, and USGT rules, and the car performs great. I think it would be a great budget stock tc for sure. For 165.00, you can't go wrong.
__________________
Jesse Anderson / JROY386 / R_
theRACERunderground - "Budget Champions"
www.theracerunderground.blogspot.com
cementsurfer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #135
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 510
Default

im looking to pick up this chassis to race in 17.5 binky class,on short med grip carpet track
what gears come with it, and what should i use? what would the largest pinion/ gearing i could use ? will this car work for me box stock? or do i need some hop up parts
thanks for any info
TeamThibault is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Schumacher Corner meche Electric On-Road 27727 07-20-2015 08:38 PM
Original Schumacher Mission. For Sale Datruk Australia For Sale/Trade 7 04-06-2009 04:42 AM
Motor Question? WRXTC Electric On-Road 45 08-06-2005 02:01 PM


Tags
mi1, mission, schumacher


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:17 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0