R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'll try to get some pics up this weekend.

One of my biggest hates about this car is the fact that Schumacher still uses the lousy T10 Torx head screws . Wish that they would put in some metric hex screws instead. if anyone were to buy the kit, I would highly recommend getting a decent Torx driver or purchasing the equivalent in normal metric hex screws.

The build was quite straight forward, nothing really much to report. The ball diffs are assembled already, so putting the kit together was a lot quicker. Be sure to tension the front belt a little tighter than you think it needs. I put 50wt oil in the front shocks and 40wt in the rear. Stuck with the supplied blue springs, standing the front shocks up to the maximum and leaving the rears as is. Camber at 1 degree negative all around, castor at minimum (8.5).

One of the main reasons for buying the Mi-1 was to evaluate it for racing purposes for my sponsor (hobby shop), and the other one is that I am waiting for the Mi-4CX and I needed a car to race till it is released.

Didn't need a lot of wheel time with the car to get it handling reasonably. Following comments are for rubber/carpet with no additive. Got 4 races (5min duration) to dial the car in with a boosted 10.5 motor, and the next week was a 30min endurance race. I am glad to say that the chassis is more than capable to handle 21.5/17.5/13.5 boosted setups. With 10.5 and quicker motors, the MI-1 in kit form can't quite put the power to the ground resulting in a little wheelspin punching out of corners. Ample steering and rear traction is available at all times, and chassis surprisingly responds quite well to changes.

With a set of springs and a bit more time on the track tweaking, I am sure that it is on par with almost any chassis out there. If I get some time to do more testing, I will try to post my findings here.

The MI-1 is extremely tough!! There were a couple of times I clipped a pipe at full noise into the sweeper and tumbled/cartwheeled/barrel rolled off the track, and the car came through without any problems. Very well made!!

Hope this helps someone who is looking at purchasing the MI-1!
Proudly Sponsored by Stanbridges Hobbies
Serpent S411
jrxs-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:34 AM   #32
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Waiting for mine in the the mail tomorrow!! I'll post pics. Going to set it up for drifting. Does anyone know what spur gear it comes with stock? If so, What pinion do I need for drifting?

Thanks.
wick3dr00st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #33
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Craig W Send a message via Skype™ to Craig W

Think its a 92
Craig W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I think it is 85T spur.

http://www.actionrc.com.au/?p=3757
SchuMi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #35
Tech Rookie

I'll be setting this up for drifting, but does anyone have any experience setting up an MI1 for countersteer? Do I need to get a different rear diff? Or can I just get a smaller gear for the rear diff?

Or theres also another gear by the spur, if I get a larger one of those I'll get the same effect. But I have no idea where I would get that.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #36
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

i have a few spur and pinions if any one can use them 48p,the pinions are long shaft type
Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #37
Tech Rookie

Still no idea on how to overdrive the rear on this thing???
Old 01-06-2011, 06:02 AM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wick3dr00st3r View Post
Still no idea on how to overdrive the rear on this thing???
I'm not sure. With Mi4 it would be probably possible to do overdrive with overdrive pulley from Cat SX. But Mi1 has different rear pulley as far as I know. Maybe it worth to give it a try
lochness42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:17 AM   #39
Tech Adept

how do you guys like the new MI-1?
any thing bad about this kit?
does any one have more reviews? / pics?
is it easy to set up?
hotrod306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:25 AM   #40
Tech Rookie

How would this chassis compare with say, a TC4 or HPI Sprint 2 for 21.5T brushless stock racing?
ranchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #41
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 304 (100%+)

I just finished building one that I got in a trade.It was brand new and the gentleman told me that his wife bought him the wrong car for Christmas. I also have the original Mission from 10 or who knows how many years ago. Its basically the same car, a fiberglass chassis budjet touring car that sells for about 165 in the US.I have not built a kit in a while and let me tell ya......it was great again to build a car that went together so well. It was a pleasure to build and I always liked how Shumie does things a bit different to get the same result.I am not a fan of the shumacher off road cars but always had some kind of Shumacher car in my on road fleet. I am gonna try to run it in the rubber tire stock class. I am just waiting to clear up some health issues and I will hit the track as soon as I can. I have not run at all in months,but just looking at the finished car and smelling the traction compound from the tires that I mounted on it........I close my eyes and I get the feeling that I am at a track ...you know what I mean? Im gonna post a couple of pics tonight, good luck.
Team Underdog-Team UPURZ-Island Raceway & Hobby-Showing up and paying entry fee alone is not :"supporting your track" Stop fooling yourselves - buying online kills local racing programs. If we trade lower feedback always ships first. It ain't over till fat lady sings - race till your told your done and quit complaining .
peter george is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #42
Tech Champion

http://s1012.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow The car went together really well and looks like it would be easy to adjust and dial in. I did have graphite upper deck and shock towers from my original Mission. I also opted to use the old style body mount post in the rear ,so that my body would not need additional holes. I can honestly say that I wont be buying any more on road cars, but if I do it probably will be a Shummie.If I am ever lucky enough to get one in a trade again, I will jump on it.There is no local ''on road'' track to run on, but we keep hope alive.Good job Shumacher.http://s1012.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow
Team Underdog-Team UPURZ-Island Raceway & Hobby-Showing up and paying entry fee alone is not :"supporting your track" Stop fooling yourselves - buying online kills local racing programs. If we trade lower feedback always ships first. It ain't over till fat lady sings - race till your told your done and quit complaining .
Old 01-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Peter, "Old style" body posts ?? Does the car come with something different ?? Didn't know they had changed at all since way back when. My MI3.5 still used the same old part numbers I think. Did you fit a Lipo in to this chassis ?? How did it fit and do you see any problem with using the hard case packs with the humps on the bottom ?? Also, How does the gearing situation look ?? I don't think the original Mission would allow for the kind of pinion/spur combinations we need now with BL motors but I could be wrong.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:03 AM   #44
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Peter, "Old style" body posts ?? Does the car come with something different ?? Didn't know they had changed at all since way back when. My MI3.5 still used the same old part numbers I think. Did you fit a Lipo in to this chassis ?? How did it fit and do you see any problem with using the hard case packs with the humps on the bottom ?? Also, How does the gearing situation look ?? I don't think the original Mission would allow for the kind of pinion/spur combinations we need now with BL motors but I could be wrong.
yes, the new released car actually has the body mounts on the shock towers, and if you notice, the kit is made only for lipo. Take a closer look. Gearing is identical 1.8 :1 ,and I have run my original Mission in the super stock sedan class that allowed turbo and timing advance. Diffs are the same as the old car and interchangeable.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Good morning. Sorry, I'd forgotten how the body posts were mounted on the Mission.
Regarding batteries, I was referring to the Lipo hard case packs with humps on the bottom vs. a flat bottom. Some cars may not provide enough heighth between chassis plate and battery hold down therefore you must use a flat bottom battery.
Gearing concern was more toward motor mount. Again, some chassis not totally designed for lipo may not provide enough motor movement needed for some of the higher brushless ratios IE: bigger pinions
I'm still considering the MI1 as I just bought a used tc5 and a brand new Exotek chassis. Want to consider the MI1 before I run that car. I do love Schumacher cars !
BTW, have you purchased new parts after you bought the car ? Wondering where you bought from and how the service was? Thanks
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote