Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
[Tamiya F103 GT] I need a new motor and ESC but which? >

[Tamiya F103 GT] I need a new motor and ESC but which?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Tamiya F103 GT] I need a new motor and ESC but which?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 02:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default [Tamiya F103 GT] I need a new motor and ESC but which?

Hi everyone

I bought a Tamiya F103 Gt a few years ago and tried many motor/ESC and I'm still not satisfied with them.
I tried first a brushed 12*2. Things were good but not fast enough for me.
Then, I gave it a LRP Vector X11 StockSpec 8.5 with an LRP AI Reverse Pro Digital Brushless ESC. Speed became decent but a the end of our straight line, when I have to brake, as rear wheels get in the air, I switch to reverse instead of brake. Spur gears don't like it when rear wheels get back on track...
Then I tried a Hobbywing EZRun 60 AMP SL V2 with a 5.5 motor. No more spur gear broken but TOO MUCH power, I couldn't trigger on the throttle, even in the last half of the straight line (around 80 meters).
I'm now looking for a BL motor and ESC. ESC has to be sensored, programmable, LiPo compliant. Motor must something like 5000 Kv, sensored and have a power of around 350/400 W.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 10-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

Everyone talks nicely about the tekin rs thingy. it got that thing that eases away motor brake for better coasting.

On the motor side i guess you want a revvy motor. Kv you can ignore, it tells you nothing. Stay away from stock spec motors.

Personally i can`t really believe you can handle a more powerful motor than say a 9T EZrun.

Got any videos?
Old 10-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MatsNorway
Everyone talks nicely about the tekin rs thingy. it got that thing that eases away motor brake for better coasting.

On the motor side i guess you want a revvy motor. Kv you can ignore, it tells you nothing. Stay away from stock spec motors.

Personally i can`t really believe you can handle a more powerful motor than say a 9T EZrun.

Got any videos?
Yes, but with only a LRP Eraser 9.5. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7h3pz_run-f103_auto
Other vids I have are just runs in our straight line, with Kyosho V-One RRR Evo 2 and Team Orion nitro... Max speed are equals
I'll give a look to that Tekin RS...

Last edited by DaTaz; 10-14-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

You might want to also consider the Novak 10.5 BL and ESC combo (I just picked up a used set for $100). So far the speed is WAY more than what's needed for my 103GT and the indoor track I run her on. I'm running 31mm 35S rear foams, and 40-45S front foams. For gearing, I've got the stock 70T with the stock 14T.
A couple of things you didn't mention before, what gearging where you using? Why didn't you just turn the reverse off? Did you try stiffer front springs (I'm running .2 I believe) as well as the center body shock? Lastly, how low is your ride hieght?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Missle
A couple of things you didn't mention before, what gearging where you using?
With my LRP 8.5 Stock, I use 17/63 (F103 non-GT supr gear). When I try a 18/63, my ESC goes to thermal protection in about 4 minutes so I decided to lower my ratio. With my Ezrun 5.5, I use 14/63

Why didn't you just turn the reverse off?
Because my ESC (LRP AI Brushless Digital) doesn't allow me to It's an "LRP AI" thing, everything is automatic (who said "everything is automa-shit"?)

Did you try stiffer front springs (I'm running .2 I believe) as well as the center body shock?
Stiffest one from the TRF Formula One hopups

Lastly, how low is your ride hieght?
Too low to allow to fully wear my foam I'd say something like 4mm.

I also had a few caster (putting 1 mm shims below the front of my front susp' system), TRF rear susp', tightened my ball diff. Front tires are 26mm 37 shore and rear are 30mm 35 shore.

Last edited by DaTaz; 10-14-2010 at 02:18 AM.