Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Integy auto super lathe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Default Integy auto super lathe?

hey guys would you this was a good lathe for a first time buyer? iv used my m8s eagle and hudy lathes before but i need one for myself now, heres a link
http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...20104048717.0f
Old 07-03-2004, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

I saw one up close last weekend. Awsome lathe for the price, simple to use and the cut is perfect. The only thing that bothered me was that it I don't think you can get replacment blocks for it...
Old 07-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

FD, I shouldn't worry, it comes with Carbide V blocks as standard so you are harldy likely to need replacements for many, many years, if ever!
Old 07-03-2004, 01:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by fatdoggy
I saw one up close last weekend. Awsome lathe for the price, simple to use and the cut is perfect. The only thing that bothered me was that it I don't think you can get replacment blocks for it...
Fat Doggy, they appear to be the same blocks as the Eagle Mod Fashion lathe's, so you could replace them with that. But, I still don't think you will ever have to replace them!
Old 07-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

etzkev - Yes when I compared them(I have a mod fashion) they are almost the same(auto has slots in the guides for oil). The Fashion guides are dam near impossible to get anymore, they have been discontinued.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Once I aligned the blocks and replaced to a Mcmaster diamond bit, the lathe is just as good as the Fantom and Hudy lathes i've borrowed in the past.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by fatdoggy
etzkev - Yes when I compared them(I have a mod fashion) they are almost the same(auto has slots in the guides for oil). The Fashion guides are dam near impossible to get anymore, they have been discontinued.
Yeah, I noticed that the slots for the oil was different, but everything else is the same. That is cool you have a mod fashion too, just like me. Mine isn't doing too good now though. I will keep increasing the cut depth, and nothing will happen, then all of a sudden, it will go in, and mess up the comm!

-etzkev
Old 07-03-2004, 11:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Aurra Sing
Once I aligned the blocks and replaced to a Mcmaster diamond bit, the lathe is just as good as the Fantom and Hudy lathes i've borrowed in the past.
Sorry, i did not know Integy makes a Super lathe... i'm using the Xipp lathe.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:42 AM
Tech Elite

etzkev - Ahh the extremely pathetic depth adjustment. Yes you need to be very careful with it, I only ever do very fine cuts and never back it out. I'm using two shims under the bit, it maybe your shimming(or a misaligned or loose bit). I was running three shims till about 3 weeks ago when the cuts suddenly turned to crap, I dropped it to two shims and it's back to normal.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

etzkev - i've got that xipp lathe a well. like fatdoggy said, it's likely the shimming. it seems like the factory likes the bits to be almost dead center, but i find that offsetting the cutting edge appreciably from center always produces a better cut. it sounds like your bit is either dull, or too close to center where it pushes the com away until the pressure allows the sharp part of the bit to dig in and begin to cut.

shim it upward so that the sharp edge sits atop the com just a bit.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

etzkev - i've got that xipp lathe a well. like fatdoggy said, it's likely the shimming. it seems like the factory likes the bits to be almost dead center, but i find that offsetting the cutting edge from center always produces a better cut. it sounds like your bit is either dull, or too close to center where it pushes the com away until the pressure allows the sharp part of the bit to dig in and begin to cut.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by seaball
etzkev - i've got that xipp lathe a well. like fatdoggy said, it's likely the shimming. it seems like the factory likes the bits to be almost dead center, but i find that offsetting the cutting edge appreciably from center always produces a better cut. it sounds like your bit is either dull, or too close to center where it pushes the com away until the pressure allows the sharp part of the bit to dig in and begin to cut.

Haha, you think I'm a newb! Thanks for you help, but it isn't any of those possibilities. I took it to a neighbor who has worked with lathes his whole life, and it was the Gives. They are the small set screws which adjust the amount of side to side give on the lathe. Mine had just loosened up too much from normal wear, so he re adjusted them, and it works like a charm now. We also applied some Teflon lubricant, which helped it too.

Thanks for you help though,
etzkev
Old 07-06-2004, 08:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Oh yeah, for any of you guys using carbide bits, I have some nice bits for sale in the for sale/ trade forums. They are all brand new and work great!

-Kevin