Wiki Posts
Search

help me decide - HPI PRO 4 or XRAY T1 FK

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Tech Master

Default help me decide - HPI PRO 4 or XRAY T1 FK

Which should I get?
We currently race on a school asphalt netball court.
Pretty tight tracks usually.
I cant decide between these two cars...
Old 05-27-2004, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

Choose the one that your LHS carries parts for.

BTW the Xray FK is a very durable kit.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:16 AM
Tech Master

Just finished building a FT kit (for a friend) and i must say it's really is nice !!

I haven't built the HPI but would assume it's not made to the same standards

Although i do race with a guy that runs a Pro4 and it go's real well

BTW i race a CUDA but may well have choosen a FT if it was available at the time

I don't think the FT is going to be as strong as previous models as they've done some serious weight shaving.But it still comes with plastic shock bodies

It's a hard choice ............ do you like belts or shafts ?? saddles or stick packs ?? must be the answer

P.S if you haven't considered the cuda take a look at the Speedtech site or alex racing USA

Just to make the decision a 3 way thing
Old 05-27-2004, 12:19 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: help me decide - HPI PRO 4 or XRAY T1 FK

Originally posted by azenis
Which should I get?
Flip a coin.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: help me decide - HPI PRO 4 or XRAY T1 FK

Originally posted by azenis
Which should I get?

FKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFK FKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFK FKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFK FKFKFKFKFKFKFKFKFK

It's really worth your money as it doesn't break easily....
Old 05-27-2004, 01:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i'll go with the FK, although i own an FOC only, still its basically the same car, save for a few mods.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:18 AM
Tech Elite

Not that I know from personal experience, but earlier I've read some posts about bad HPI support in Aussie. The situation might have changed since then...

However: Check local support.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i have had the Pro 4 and Evo2, i think they drive differently but in my personal opinion there abot the same. But i haven't tried the FK, i want to. Go with the Xray because the parts for the Pro 4 are really a pain, i have waiting alreadu 5 weeks for my arms, and haven't got them.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Merciless
Just finished building a FT kit (for a friend) and i must say it's really is nice !!

I haven't built the HPI but would assume it's not made to the same standards

Although i do race with a guy that runs a Pro4 and it go's real well

BTW i race a CUDA but may well have choosen a FT if it was available at the time

I don't think the FT is going to be as strong as previous models as they've done some serious weight shaving.But it still comes with plastic shock bodies

It's a hard choice ............ do you like belts or shafts ?? saddles or stick packs ?? must be the answer

P.S if you haven't considered the cuda take a look at the Speedtech site or alex racing USA

Just to make the decision a 3 way thing
are you saying that you can only use stick packs with the pro4.
what a joke!
Do you think HPI would come up with a top level car and not accomodate for saddles. You obviously haven't had a good look at the pro4.
I've been racing the pro4 for about 4 weeks and had no troubles at all. With regards to the stripping of on-way gears...don't hit anything and you'll be fine.
The pro4 handles like a gem but what ever car you do choose you will be very happy
Old 05-27-2004, 04:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Pro4
what a joke!
Do you think HPI would come up with a top level car and not accomodate for saddles. You obviously haven't had a good look at the pro4.
I've been racing the pro4 for about 4 weeks and had no troubles at all. With regards to the stripping of on-way gears...don't hit anything and you'll be fine.
The pro4 handles like a gem but what ever car you do choose you will be very happy
Have a look at what you say please.

Saddle = 3 cells on each side of the chassis.

What you are talking about is a side by side pack.

Merciless obviously knows his subject better than you.

Besides, there are ways to fix the stripping gears problems, and 4 weeks without problems apart from stripped gears can be achieved with any car, it's not a proof of durability.

I've got friends who runs both cars, they're both of very high standards and they both are quick. However, I think the X-Ray is a slightly easier car to drive, like any belt driven car over a shaft driven (I'm talking of the latest and top notch cars).

At the end of the day, it's a matter of which is better distributed and which you prefer.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:53 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the tips guys.
Where I live it is hard to get a LHS with parts for any touring car that isnt a TL01
One shop has a pro4 in stock, the other can get them (though I would probably buy online)
One has brochures for the Xray.
The australian importer says he has full stock of the xray parts, and said parts supply isnt gonna be a problem.
Yes I have heard that the HPI is hard to get parts for here in Aus, good to see the problem isnt exclusive to Australia though

I have started a list of the pros and cons i have worked out for each car
here
Though it is by no means complete or conclusive...

As for would I prefer belt or shaft, the durability of a shaft system appeals despite the talk of crunched bevel gears, however the lack of torque steer of the belt is great.

Also the flexibility with battery locations on the Xray is such an advantage.

Would I need to buy aluminuim shock bodies if I got the xray?
Old 05-27-2004, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (92%+)

Originally posted by Pro4
what a joke!
sure the Pro 4 is a beautiful car and it is good to u ADZ. but u said you have no problems with it what about the front gears striping?

i have the Xray fk i haven't raced it yet coz i just finished building it but i recon its a sweat car.

i also had the same question as the creator of this thread did. pro 4 of xray?? and i keeped changing my mind of the two cars. i ended up picking the xray.

choose the car u want!
Old 05-27-2004, 05:16 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

The main breakage issues I have heard of for the HPI is the arms, but that may have been corrected. Other than that I hear it performs quite well.

Honestly, Since both vehicles look to be manufactured quite well, I would go with the one that is most durable. And I think right now the most durable touring car is the X-Ray. Those things just take an insane beating and keep going. If you are on the fence as far as shaft vs belt, durability would be my next important criteria as if you can't finish the race, no amount of trick stuff on the vehicle will make a difference.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I HATE saddle packs...
I find they are a pain to deal with.

I personally think they are both equally good. But shaft and belt do feel different when you drive.

I'd choose whatever your LHS stocks parts for.

You can always get parts pretty cheap from Japan
Old 05-27-2004, 05:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

XRAY is your only choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.