R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Looking into WGT, need some advice (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/441104-looking-into-wgt-need-some-advice.html)

SloRacer1080 10-06-2010 10:31 PM

Looking into WGT, need some advice

I've been looking around at touring cars to do some carpet racing this winter, but they are pretty pricey. I'm now leaning towards getting a car for WGT since the tracks I would be going to both run 1/10 WGT. I like the idea because it's cheaper than a tc, and I've had an RC12L3 before, so I am familiar with pan car chassis'.

I am interested in the CRC X10. I've compared it to the Xray and the AE offerings, and I like the CRC the most overall. BMI Copperhead 10 is now on the list

Looking for some pointers basically. I am just starting out in the onroad area of rc, and really want something to race this winter. Am I heading in the right direction, or is WGT going to just frustrate the hell outta me, being a noob to onroad and all.

Again main reason I'm leaning towards WGT is that it is cheaper to start in than tc. TC would be like a $400 chassis, vs $250 for the CRC. That other $150 could be used towards motor/esc/lipos.

I am also not against maybe trying F1 either. That would have an even cheaper initial lay-out.

InspGadgt 10-06-2010 11:14 PM

I love WGT and have a blast running it every time. The CRC is a great car, especially with the new chassis...but I gotta put a plug in for my favorite the BMI :) Currently available with the standard pan car front suspension but soon will be available with their new double wishbone front suspension which is great!

303slowdown 10-07-2010 06:42 AM

Wgt is an awsome class and easy to work on and as long as you check your ride hight and tweak sometimes your car will be great. I would look for a used gen x10 and get the new Manutech Rug Runner conversion chassis and you would be all set.

Bosscat 10-07-2010 07:23 AM

Go BMI you wont regret it

Mike Mandio 10-07-2010 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bosscat (Post 8038636)
Go BMI you wont regret it

+1

dzstr 10-07-2010 08:01 AM

WGT is a lot of fun especially on carpet. I would also take a look at the BMI Copperhead10 before you buy something. :nod:

SloRacer1080 10-07-2010 08:06 AM

Now I know it sounds trivial, but with the BMI it looks like I am limited to only using the LeMans style pan car bodies, where the CRC I could use any TC body. Is that right? And how is parts support with BMI? This would be the first time I've heard of the company.

Also what makes the BMI better? Is it just preference or is there actually something to it?

dynamic_e 10-07-2010 09:51 AM

WGT

I love WGT for the simplicity of the class. It's like a big 12th scaler without the hassle of finding the right tire compounds =) I use a Speedmerchant. Best bet is to go to your track and what what everyone runs and use that as your gauge of what to get. FOr most of us, the chassis choice itself will make a very minimal difference in performance, esp if not setup right. Personally, I run a speedmerchant because there is a TON of support at my track, being speedmerchants home track.

protc3 10-07-2010 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by SloRacer1080 (Post 8038781)
Now I know it sounds trivial, but with the BMI it looks like I am limited to only using the LeMans style pan car bodies, where the CRC I could use any TC body. Is that right? And how is parts support with BMI? This would be the first time I've heard of the company.

Also what makes the BMI better? Is it just preference or is there actually something to it?

You can use the same bodies on our car as any other WGT car. It fits all the WGT bodies.:cool:

V12 10-07-2010 10:20 AM

Of course you could run any 200mm body with the BMI car as with every other WGT car.
Iīm running the older BMI DB10R car and also like it very much as others do with their newer BMI Copperhead 10. Of course there are other good WGT cars but the BMI are very easy to work on and are better quality than the competition in my opinion. Also the BMI cars do not tweak as it is common with most cars.
If you donīt want a BMI than my personal second choice would be the CRC GenX 10 but I donīt like the old car as the original chassis is too soft. Either I would go with the McKune custom chassis for the CRC what is very good or the new LE Version what is similar to the McKune.

20 SMOKE 10-07-2010 10:26 AM

yesterday corallyman had a DB10 for $70

AreCee 10-07-2010 12:39 PM

Of course you can always go with the AE RC10R5 and not have to worry about anything except where to put all your trophies:D.

dzstr 10-07-2010 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by SloRacer1080 (Post 8038781)
Now I know it sounds trivial, but with the BMI it looks like I am limited to only using the LeMans style pan car bodies, where the CRC I could use any TC body. Is that right?

If your track is following the WGT rules then TC bodies would not be allowed.

sportpak 10-07-2010 01:46 PM

The Copperhead is awesome right out of the box.

BullFrog 10-07-2010 02:28 PM

I have to say the WGt car by Corally (10SL). It's there newest chassis. I'll be glad to show you pictures of my car.If you like T-bar cars there older (last years version ) is also very good.I've raced both and I now have there 10SL now.
You'll have more fun with a pan car (WGT) than a TC plus it's cheaper in the long run.Oh there might be another new car company with a WGT out sometime soon. But what's out there I'd get a Corally for now.