Wiki Posts
Search

ESC and motor compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 08:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Default ESC and motor compatibility

Hi there,

I have been told by my LHS that if I was to purchase a trinity monster pro for my R/C car i would need a 'competition' spec ESC for it????

Is this correct or is he trying to get more money outta me than he should???

Thanks
Old 06-30-2004, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

I am pretty sure that any ESC out there will handle a stock 27turn Monster.
There is a guy like that at my LHS. I was in there one say pciking up an order and overheard him telling a guy that had just bought an Evader so much BS that I actually waited outside for 15 minutes until the guy came out and tried to give him more accurate info.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Tech Initiate

cheers for that, thought it sounded a bit suspect.
looking to get a nosram esc for my r/c car, but just need some advice as to which one to get. i don't wanna go for the magnum reverse as I have just bought that one and its causing me endless problems, so looking to exchange that for a different one.
I would like an ESC which has forward and reverse.

Any suggestions???
Old 06-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

vala, if you can wait I would look into the new XRS ESC from Novak, nothing but quality from Novak. BTW, Nosram and LRP are both the same-just in case you didn't know.

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/esc/xrs/xrs.html
Old 07-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by vala
cheers for that, thought it sounded a bit suspect.
looking to get a nosram esc for my r/c car, but just need some advice as to which one to get. i don't wanna go for the magnum reverse as I have just bought that one and its causing me endless problems, so looking to exchange that for a different one.
I would like an ESC which has forward and reverse.

Any suggestions???
In general, I'll suggest you stick with an ESC from a wellknown brand like LRP, Nosram, Futaba, KO Propo, Keyence, GM or Novak.

It depends a little on what you want to do.

If you want to race, a reverse ESC have higher internal resistance, which means less volts for your motor, thus less speed.

Also, for racing it's good to have a fast steering servo. Many low-end to mid-range ESC, only deliver 5 volts for the servo. Since most servos is designed for 6 volt, such an ESC will give you a 25% slower steering servo.

There's 2 ESC's, which fullfill these requirements for a reasonably price. That's the Hitec HFX and the GM V8. The GM even is programmable, though it's not the easiest to programme. Ths GM is what I would go with, if it's for racing on a reasonably budget.

If it's for bashing, you might consider a brushless. No maintenance, and lots of speed and run time. Even a 27T stock motor needs maintenance with comm cutting and new brushes, so in the long run the brushless system is cheaper. Especially, if you dont have access to a comm cutter.