Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC's Greatest..and Worse

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah, I read in model airplane news a while ago and learned the news that Chris has past away. Looking back the back issues of rc car magazines, it's really enjoyable experience.

Greatest driver of all time:
Masami Hirosaka
Old 10-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I enjoyed the Wild Willy the most

Old 10-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hyde
Do you remember the electric chassis (and nitro) that just didn't seem right? Or it was just weird looking and different? theirs been the best and worse thru out the years!...for example:

1) Schumacher's Electric Powered 1:6th scale On-road car. "The Big 6"
2) HPI's 2 speed system for the early RS4 line-up
3) OFNA OB4 (Mid Mounted motor on-road R/C seemed weird to me in 2002, but these days.. its normal)
3) Tamiya's 6 wheeler indy car! (Forgot the name haha)

What do YOU remember being "different"?
Just an FYI for ya, that 6 wheeled indy car was actually based of the Tyrrell P34 6 wheeled car that ran the F1 circuit back in the 70's. It was such an interesting design and actually won a race back in 1977. But due to the weight of the extra suspension, it was scraped in 1978.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrrell_P34
Old 10-07-2010, 09:12 AM

Exclamation erm...

Originally Posted by Hyde
Do you remember the electric chassis (and nitro) that just didn't seem right? Or it was just weird looking and different? theirs been the best and worse thru out the years!...for example:

1) Schumacher's Electric Powered 1:6th scale On-road car. "The Big 6"
2) HPI's 2 speed system for the early RS4 line-up
3) OFNA OB4 (Mid Mounted motor on-road R/C seemed weird to me in 2002, but these days.. its normal)
3) Tamiya's 6 wheeler indy car! (Forgot the name haha)

What do YOU remember being "different"?
you dis'ing my rs4 rally?? i dont think it looks weird... only weird thing about it to me is the very slight buckle in ma axles... but it is a rally, these things happen

but anyways is the rs4 rally weird or not??
Old 10-07-2010, 09:18 AM

Exclamation leave my rs4 alone!!

Originally Posted by FREAKAH
BEST:

WORST:

Anything XTM
HPI RS4 series(electric & nitro) Put to market actually NEEDING upgrades. Drained pockets of many. After all, HPI started as a "hop up" company.
AE RC10GT Took too dang long to update in the "Drake" era. GT2 was a little too late.
this stoog is disn my rs4 too... my hobby shop guy say its a good car... it must be pretty bad if his lieing... or maybe is IS good, infact im sticking with good!....
stop dis'ing my rs4
Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DEIGIMA
you dis'ing my rs4 rally?? i dont think it looks weird... only weird thing about it to me is the very slight buckle in ma axles... but it is a rally, these things happen

but anyways is the rs4 rally weird or not??
Originally Posted by DEIGIMA
this stoog is disn my rs4 too... my hobby shop guy say its a good car... it must be pretty bad if his lieing... or maybe is IS good, infact im sticking with good!....
stop dis'ing my rs4
The original RS4 was terrible (belt drive front, gear drive rear) When they updated it to dual belts it was somewhat better but the rear axles weren't aligned with the hubs. (axles swept back to meet hubs) By the time they finally got to the RS4-Pro 2, they finally got it right and it was well received.

After that came the RS4-Pro3 which we all know didn't work and then the shaft drive RS4-Pro4.

I will say that the best rally was the RS4-rally. Rally enthusiasts are still benefitting from the tires that were developed for that car because its still one of the better rally tire/compound available.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 AM

Default realy THAT bad?

i own a mid nineties hpi rs4 rally electric. it seems fine to me but the suspension seems to be buggered though. is it a bad sign if your rear shocks dont bounce back right? rear shocks can be fully extended, then you put it on a surface- a table or just the floor. it doent compress if you just softly place it on the ground. and when u push down on the shocks it goes down and back up fine enough but stops about 3-4mm from full extension.if you extend it fully from there it feels like theres no spring..it will sit anywhere on that 4mm dead spot without moving. is this shock oil problem or springs or is it in need of full replacement?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:42 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
The original RS4 was terrible (belt drive front, gear drive rear) When they updated it to dual belts it was somewhat better but the rear axles weren't aligned with the hubs. (axles swept back to meet hubs) By the time they finally got to the RS4-Pro 2, they finally got it right and it was well received.

After that came the RS4-Pro3 which we all know didn't work and then the shaft drive RS4-Pro4.

I will say that the best rally was the RS4-rally. Rally enthusiasts are still benefitting from the tires that were developed for that car because its still one of the better rally tire/compound available.
ok so thanks on releiving me on worries of my car being cruddy.

but i still have problems with it... like the rear axel cup-joint(on the wheel side) scrapes what i think is called the suspension arm... that bit that holds the upright that holds your rims?... and this is with very little amount of camber, worse still, the camber setting the manual says to set it to scrapes the arm! lol now that was bad
Old 10-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here is my list:

Greatest

RC 10 World Edition - pretty much made the stealth transmission the standard of 2wd offroad vehicles
AE TC3 - low cost budget car that sparked the growth of the electric racing market
HPI RS4 Nitro - an affordable nitro car that helped to blow up parking lot racing in the very late 90s/early 00s
Serpent Impulse/Mugen MTX2 - Refined 200mm racing and took it to the next level
Traxxas Slash - The innovation that started the biggest craze today: SCT/CORR racing
AE 12 series - the template to what all 12th scale cars are modeled after to this day
Spektrum radios/systems - the innovator that ushered in 2.4ghz technology
AMB transponders - cut the guesswork out of counting laps
Brushless technology - need I say more!!
Lithium technology - see brushless comment.

Worst

Losi Strike - can anyone say Pontiac Aztek of the rc world?!?
CEN/Red Cat products - the worst crafted vehicles in the market; have run many out of the hobby
Kyosho Blizzard/Nitro Blizzard - Really?!?!?
OS LD engines - why make an engine that could only fit in two cars (Tamiya TG series & Kyosho Super Ten series) without extreme modifications??
Nitro superchargers - pay lots of money for something that looks cool but doesn't do much for you nitro engine
On-board telemetry systems - bulky, have to make mods to get to work, somewhat inaccurate in their readings, costly.

That is all I can think of for now. There are many, many more greatest/worst things out there and some have brought up some good ones in previous posts.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

I have owned (and still own) many of the early HPI products (both nitro and electric). They were not as bad as most make them out to be. I did not have many of the issues that others had with their before they moved on to other products. However, when HPI came out the the PRO3, Nitro MT, and Nitro 3, I was out on HPI due to those three are a pile, laced with problems and issues.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Got one more to add to my Worst list:

HPI Savage design - decent monster truck as far as toughness but if you need to repair/replace anything broken on it, you have to dismantle the entire truck to get to what you need to get to
Old 10-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
Got one more to add to my Worst list:

HPI Savage design - decent monster truck as far as toughness but if you need to repair/replace anything broken on it, you have to dismantle the entire truck to get to what you need to get to
Sounds like a Serpent Veteq.

Reminds of a favorite conversation I saw on here.

Guy 1 says "The Revo has pushrod suspension like the Veteq"

Guy 2 says "That's insulting.......The Revo actually WORKS"
Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer
Sounds like a Serpent Veteq.

Reminds of a favorite conversation I saw on here.

Guy 1 says "The Revo has pushrod suspension like the Veteq"

Guy 2 says "That's insulting.......The Revo actually WORKS"
LOL!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Another worst for my list:

HPI 10th scale shaft cars - started with the Nitro MT, weak shaft design (center and dogbones always snapping ends off), constantly breaking something (needed to stock up on parts)
Old 10-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

best:
MINI Z F1

worst:
eaRLY DEMISE OF mini z f1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.