Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fixed Spool vs One way

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

With the right setup you have just as much steering with a spool as with a one way (maybe more mid and exit steering than one way) but you can use brakes and drive harder into corners.

My Mi2 with a spool turns in too hard for most of the guys that have driven it. But...im an old pan car guy so its just fine for me
Old 06-30-2004, 01:26 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally posted by AdrianM
With the right setup you have just as much steering with a spool as with a one way (maybe more mid and exit steering than one way) but you can use brakes and drive harder into corners.

My Mi2 with a spool turns in too hard for most of the guys that have driven it. But...im an old pan car guy so its just fine for me
Too much turn in with a spool. That must be great as now you have killer low speed steering and still have great high speed steering. Maybe I need a Mission 2.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

wat front axle would you run on a tight carpet track running rubbers and 27t?
Old 06-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

oneway.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Depends on the track. No one thing works for all. Tight parking lot tracks-diff, sweeping open tracks-one way. Spool-better try to turn in earlier.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi,

Kindly elaborate on the statement below. I would think spool will be harder and hotter on the tires since one tire would be breaking traction in the corner. In fact the wear rate with spools is very pronounced even after just a heat.

Originally posted by AdrianM
On hot days one ways will overheat the tires where spools keep the tires cooler longer.

Old 06-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by ALEXSCHOFIELD
wat front axle would you run on a tight carpet track running rubbers and 27t?
One-ways are real popular....In the belt car i've driven with rubbers/one-way it worked really well. You have to have the right setup or it woun't fly. I've tried running with a one-way in my TC3 but the drivedrain coasts so much already I can't seem to keep a handle on it. Don't have a problem with that on my Evo3
Old 07-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Slightly embarrassing question here.....

Spool is the same as solid axle????
Old 07-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Scott Fisher - Exactly.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

rough512 - You would think that spools would heat the tires but its the other way around. At the Pre-Worlds in the last of the Triple-A's the track got REALLY HOT. The one way drivers that were fine when it was cooler overheated their tires about one minute into the race. Hara, Masami and Teemu had to drive like there cars were dirt oval sprint cars (drift cars...). Ralph Burch lead the final A with a spool in his Xray and had perfect control until he dotted out on the last lap. His car did not overheat the tires and did not get loose.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Where can I get a good spool for my TC3?
Old 07-17-2004, 04:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default spool

Fatbear: You can get a spool from IRS they sell them on towerhobbies
Link to the spool
hope that helps
Old 07-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Tech Adept

What are (genaerally) the set up changes needed to make a spool work (ie softer springs lighter oil etc)? I've tried all three axle types and no matter what I'm faster with a oneway because I can't make the spool turn In like I want. For the record i like to throttle steer and avoid brakes at all cost. I'm running the xxxs g+ and we have a decreasing radius turn that everyone swears I practically drift through cause the back end is loose and rotating through EVENLY.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:45 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally posted by Poppa Ray
What are (genaerally) the set up changes needed to make a spool work (ie softer springs lighter oil etc)? I've tried all three axle types and no matter what I'm faster with a oneway because I can't make the spool turn In like I want. For the record i like to throttle steer and avoid brakes at all cost. I'm running the xxxs g+ and we have a decreasing radius turn that everyone swears I practically drift through cause the back end is loose and rotating through EVENLY.
When I run the spool on my Losi I use high roll center blocks, 2f block, with 4 degree caster blocks. You normally need more caster with the spool to get it to turn going into the corner. I also use around .065 front sway bar to start .
Old 07-18-2004, 12:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Spool with center oneway

Do spools work with a center oneway or do you have to have a locked pulley to make them work?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.