R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   FOAM TC RACING LETS GET BACK TO IT (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/439868-foam-tc-racing-lets-get-back.html)

Warren Weaver 10-03-2010 07:15 AM

FOAM TC RACING LETS GET BACK TO IT

All i know is i miss racing with foam tires and the speeds will be insane with the new software for 17.5 and 13.5:sneaky:

Rocky8333 10-03-2010 07:25 AM

Come to Minnesota, we never stopped running foam :)

Luke Hobson 10-03-2010 07:33 AM

Why on earth would you want to go back to foam?

If you want fake traction race slot cars :-P

Warren Weaver 10-03-2010 07:36 AM

If you were from the U.S. you would understand.:tire:
I think i might have to make the trek one of these days

Matt Howard 10-03-2010 07:41 AM

I'm sorry, but when I read "FOAM TC RACING LETS GET BACK TO IT" the only thing I think of is, "TC racing is down, lets finish it off with more Foam tires". I've always thought Foam tire TC was bad for the class, even in the beginning when people were mounting their own foam tires. JMO, I know some people liked it, I just thought it was bad for the class.

wingracer 10-03-2010 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Matt Howard (Post 8017842)
I'm sorry, but when I read "FOAM TC RACING LETS GET BACK TO IT" the only thing I think of is, "TC racing is down, lets finish it off with more Foam tires". I've always thought Foam tire TC was bad for the class, even in the beginning when people were mounting their own foam tires. JMO, I know some people liked it, I just thought it was bad for the class.

It probably is bad for the class. But for me, the driving experience was SO much better.

PS. Your avatar, is that the box with the phone number to a sex line on it? :D

ammdrew 10-03-2010 07:58 AM

Foam tc is great less cars off pace... Tires are cheap compounds are better today... Stock tc on new speedos is same pace as stock 1/12 a lot of fun to race and grooves get insane.... Good resurgence this season in foam tc....

mickrcarver 10-03-2010 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Warren Weaver (Post 8017747)
All i know is i miss racing with foam tires and the speeds will be insane with the new software for 17.5 and 13.5:sneaky:

+1

Matt Howard 10-03-2010 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 8017864)
It probably is bad for the class. But for me, the driving experience was SO much better.

PS. Your avatar, is that the box with the phone number to a sex line on it? :D

Yup, that's the infamous Ochocinco's cereal box with the misprint on a telephone #. I've got an unopened box sitting in my office at work:p

Bishop 10-03-2010 08:22 AM

Foam can be cheap and less work, I know I ran some recently and had a ball, less need for traction compounds perhaps, and no tyre warmers or worry about temp ranges.

But, I did have a weird thing the other night, still had foams on the Photon from previous run, hit the track and had no traction, dusty and slipery as hell, back into the pits and on went some 28 Sweeps, on track again and now plenty of traction.

Weird night in general, nitro cars on foam all seemed to lack grip, electric cars on rubber looked more hooked up, also had some showers of rain and the rubber shod electrics still had the advantage, go figure.

I don't see either tyre being the life or death of a class, run what ever suits your conditions, maybe foam has the ability to be cheaper though, rubber so far seems more expensive to me.

PitNamedGordie 10-03-2010 08:53 AM

I've never raced foam TC but do you think it would be possible to have a spec foam tire...similar to what you see in World GT? I can see a pre-trued spec foam tire being easy. I'd definitely try it...

EVILGRAFX 10-03-2010 08:59 AM

This always happens when something changes - like getting out of a bad relationship, at first you're glad you got out and then as time goes by, you only think about the good parts of the relationship and forget about all the crap.

First off, it wasn't cheaper - $40 for a set of foams, then you had to have a truer to cut half of that foam off, then you could easily chunk a foam, requiring you to spend more money for more tires.

Second, the racing wasn't any closer - the fast guys are still fast, the slow guys are still slow. The same guys that were competitive with foams are the same guys who are competitive with slicks.

Third, one set of foams wasn't always the ticket - Claims that one set of foams was ticket are false. We were constantly going through different foams for temperatures and conditions, not only through the course of a season but, the course of a day.

Fourth, foams don't make you a better driver, they only mask over setup problems - Better setup and practice makes you better among your peers, not foams.

Foams are faster especially in mod classes but, in our stock classes locally, lap times are only one to two tenths slower than what we ran with foams and it's much more enjoyable than having to worry about cutting tires, chunking tires, constantly adjusting ride heights, and finding the right foams for the track.

I'm glad we no long run foams in touring, it's a lot less to worry about. If you like foams, do what I do and run 1/12, you'll quickly be reminded of foam issues.

Warren Weaver 10-03-2010 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie (Post 8018099)
I've never raced foam TC but do you think it would be possible to have a spec foam tire...similar to what you see in World GT? I can see a pre-trued spec foam tire being easy. I'd definitely try it...

There are spec foams availble

joey 10-03-2010 09:48 AM

warren, id have to agree with you.. I also miss Foam TC it was a fun class to race, id love to see it come back..

Warren Weaver 10-03-2010 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Matt Howard (Post 8017842)

Hey matt you used to run foam tires didnt you? as for rubber tires there is so many tire wars out there plus from batch to batch the tires are either good or bad i ran a tire at a track that i had to buy 4 sets of them to compete at $27 dollars a set and i could have used another set for the main how is that not killing tc if i remember foam tires we used were either jaco or parma not a big tire war and at that time tc was atop of all rc racing.I dont see how foams cost more than rubber tires i have seen a long time ago $11 dollars for jaco foams.Tracks need to use spec rubber tires in non timing classes and whatever you want to run in all other classes,if foam was brought back i bet you will see 17.5,13.5 classes grow.I have ran a couple of weekends at a track on 1 set of foam tires with no issues and when did you see any change from batch to batch in foams?
I dont usually voice my opinion to much but we need foam tire back in tc you wont see 12th scale running on rubbers and look at how many entries at major events and local events 12th scale has.Just my two cents.
weavernator out

ps i had to add how many rubber tire bodies are out there compared to foam tire bodies?