Wiki Posts
Search

Rubber Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Rubber Tire Recommendation

I run Novice Stock - Rubber tire, and I need a new set of tires. Mine are very worn, and I have found a warped rim and even a cut in one of the tires, so I am looking for recommendations on tires and where to get them.

These tires are CS27s - I bought the car used, and that is what came on it, so that's what I have been running, but I am open to any suggestions.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:24 AM
J-P
Tech Regular

hey,

if the cs-27 worked for you at your local track then i would stick with them, but buy a new set that are pre-glued. i dont think they cost a great deal and they tend to wear well, but ask some of the guys at the track you go to and see what they are running and if they have a part worn set for sale!!

hope this helps

J-P
Old 06-28-2004, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sorex 32s when cold, 36s or 40s when hot. Way better than take offs.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by jedi
Sorex 32s when cold, 36s or 40s when hot. Way better than take offs.
Sorex fan-boy......

I personally don't like Sorex cause they charge too much for their tires & the lifespan isn't as good as the Take-Offs. I have heard on VHT Sorexs work better (figures...expensive traction, expensive tire) but I race on soda so Take-Offs work for me.

Tip: when people are using their Sorex 28s & 32 stick with the CS-27 but when they switch up to 36's go with the CS-32
Old 06-28-2004, 11:44 AM
J-P
Tech Regular

i agree with the black cat, just dont think that the sorex tyres last well
Old 06-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

The Take offs are the best for the money. Tire, rim, and insert. Sorex's have a weird wear pattern I'm not too fond of.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

ING tyres are also very good, if they are available in the US, they are very popular in the uk
Old 06-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

sorex maybe a bit more but they are far superior when it comes to grip over take offs. on high bite tracks, take offs work but over heat quickly.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What kind of track are you running on? Indoor? Outdoor? Concrete? Blacktop?
Old 06-28-2004, 12:48 PM
J-P
Tech Regular

depends what compound of take off your running and what insert and rim diameter your running, if you dont buy the preglued versions you can make them work with different inserts. i agree that the sorex are very grippy and consistant but they do seem to last very long (like 2/3 runs) i think you will get better wear from the takeoffs,

ive heard the ing tyres are good to, jas1 pm me and let me know about where in the uk you are running them and what inserts and rims you are using, i would be interested to know, thanks

J-P
Old 06-28-2004, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

we run cs-27s in the parking lot where the surface is course. 27's on a smooth fine indoor track over heat. i have yet ot try another compound. i run sorex 36 with an hpi green insert and my tires hold up quite well. with stock my tires last at least 9 to 12 five minute races. when i ran the 4 hour tamiya enduro with takes offthey failed after 40 laps, sorex would hold for three hours with an ocassional rotation.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Tech Initiate

I have the same problem.

I'm running on a dusty parking lot. It is not a asphalt surface. The surface is rough and bumpy. I tried both Sorex & CS but they didn't do well.

What you guys think...any idea to share...thanks
Old 06-28-2004, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

The real question here is what purpose does rctoyguy what to do with the tires? If it is a racing condition, both tires work very well. For longevity, the Sorex's do much better.

Raycer, what type of racing surface do you race on? If you are racing on cement, you may just have to do with a fairly hard compound. Cement is more abrasive on tires, and does not have the grip as asphalt. There are some tires from BRP that are made for rough and bumpy surfaces.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I am running outdoors, parking lot track, asphalt. I guess the CS27s have done pretty well - but since this is my first time to buy tires I wanted to see what some opinions were. I can't afford to buy tires every 3 or 4 runs (I guess by run, you count any 5 minute race) That would mean a set of tires each race day if there are 3 heats and 1 main, not counting practice time.

When I got the car (used) it had the CS27s on it, and someone told me that I should easily get a season out of a set of them. Since they were used, I have no idea how "old" they were, but I have gotten about 5 race days out of them and they look pretty bad to me - of course, since I am just starting out, I don't know what to expect them to look like when they are worn out. I will post a pic here later tonight. Since I do have at least one warped wheel presumably from hitting the boards, (remember I said I am new) plus the fact that I did find a cut in one this weekend, that has me shopping for new ones.

The first couple of race days I was not using any traction compound, so I am sure that didn't help the life of the tires because of wheelspin - I use Niftech compound now.

Thanks for all of the responses - keep 'em coming!
Old 06-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Here are my personal findings for outdoor use.

HPI Advan 33r(Treaded Tire) - descent traction for lower temp days. When it gets really hot out, say about 85F, these tires seem to melt down and not give very good traction. If run in cooler weather, should last a long time (4 or 5 of your race days). I have used both HPI green and red inserts in these tires.

HPI X-pattern pro compound(Treaded Tire) - Seemed to last a long time when I used them 3 years ago. I only ever tried them with the cheap junky inserts that they came with so results may very. These are also 26mm tires not 24's. Either of these treaded patterns, X-pattern or Advan, work well in dirty parking lots where the surface isn't very perpared.

Sorex 36R - Pretty hard tire, lasts a long time, works good for days where the Advan 33r doesn't. Mine had HPI green inserts.

Take Off CS-27 - My friend owns these and they seem to work pretty good. Not sure on the lifetime in hot weather since his tires are still in good shape. Not sure on the inserts.

If you want a really hard tire for just messing around and maybe racing on really hot days I think there is a Sorex 40R. I haven't owned them, but by the way the 36R's run I would expect the 40's to last a long time.

For the best results you will have to try a couple different tires and see what you like. If I remember correctly you live in a hot place so you may want to try a hardish tire to get descent lifetime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.