Wiki Posts
Search

Time to buy a new battery Any input?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaredevilD
Thunder Power all the way. If you are running 17.5. I would suggest nothing over 40c.
Ok I am not understanding where you are coming from..... The higher the c rating the more the battery can supply in power (amps) so any motor under load will draw.. granted the bigger the motor the more amps pulled from the battery but your saying smaller the motor you need smaller c rating of a battery there for bringing the (amps available) down. I know a stock motor wont draw anywhere near the amount of amps from the battery but the more c rating if the motor required whatever it needed the battery will be able to supply it???

Correct me if I am wrong but the more amps pulled from a battery gives you the punch needed without the battery struggling???

so your saying if I ran a 21.5 turn brushless I should use nothing more than what a 30c battery cause I will get better punch??

amps=punch yeah?? but please correct me if I am wrong.

plus internal resistance will stop the punch from happening cause the lower the resistance the battery has the easier the battery will give up its power...
Fordy
Old 09-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

ThunderPower 25c Great bang for you buck!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by smoke81
ThunderPower 25c Great bang for you buck!
Hey smoke can I ask why these batteries are so good?? everyone says they are but what puts them ahead of the rest?? Have you tried other topline batteries??

Is there anywhere I can do some reading up on them???
Thanks mate
Old 09-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

this is a description I found on ebay with a thunder power battery and its either a typo or this batteries isnt all that crash hot like ppl say.....

Thunder Power

5400mAh 25C 2 Cell 7.4v Li-Po

These potent batteries feature impact-resistant hard-case housings, a carbon fiber finish and a unique wire lead exit design where the leads can be positioned flush with the top or end of the battery, allowing for easy drop in. They fit in most cars and trucks. This battery includes 12-gauge wire leads with Traxxas High Current, and is equipped with Thunder Power balance connecters and wire leads compatible with all Thunder Power balancers and chargers with balancers.
Key Features
Perfect for backyard bashing or racing
Capable of continuous discharge rates up to 25C and burst discharge rates up to 50C
Delivers higher voltage under typical and heavy loads than most 15C to even 28C batteries

Specs
Type: Li-Po
Capacity: 5400mAh
Voltage: 7.4v
Connector: Traxxas High Current
Number of Cells: 2

Part Number: THP54002SSRT

Isnt it a 25c battery performing just better than MOST 15c batteries lol
Old 09-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

I'm no battery expert by any means. I asked and was told the 25c was as good as the 40c for stock racing. So why spend the extra money? They were good enough to take 1st and 2nd at IIC, and qualify 6th in super stock.

As for why to use the brand. Every big race I go to you always seem the Thunderpower guy walking through the pits. Which for me thats a pretty cool deal. It seems that the cells are very stable. I've yet to see a Thunderpower pack swell up, and most of the people I race with use them. Most importantly they are fast. The only down side to them was the case, and that has been fixed.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

My Thunder Power packs have been very reliable and their performance over time has not changed at all. That said, I did have a 5000/40c pack puff on me last summer. I had been using it for several months. I sent it back, well past the 90 day warranty, hoping to catch a break on a replacement. I received a brand new pack within a week, no questions asked. So yes, the packs are awesome, and in the rare event, the company backs them up.

Also, for what it's worth, I buy them with my own money.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
Lower "c" ratings generate more punch when motors are not drawing high amperage.
Care to elaborate? This seems backwards to me. A lower C-rated pack will drop more voltage under load, and be less punchy. You always want C-rating as high as possible.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

cool as smoke thanks......
Old 09-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by simplechamp
Care to elaborate? This seems backwards to me. A lower C-rated pack will drop more voltage under load, and be less punchy. You always want C-rating as high as possible.
Lipo batteries are very temperature sensitive. A 25C or 40C pack has a greater chance of heating up more than a 50C+ pack. That rise in temperature lowers the internal resistance, giving more punch.

For stock, both the 25C and 40C heat up more naturally through the run than a 50C pack will do. Stock is also not overtapping the batteries either. Modified racing will just meltdown a lower C rating pack without question. They pull a lot of current and need a batteey pack with a higher C rating. That is why for all the Thunder Power team drivers, generally 40C is the choice for stock (25C still works awesome though), and 50... or the new 65C for Modified.

Hope that helps a little bit. I'm sure Jim will pop on here if I'm stating anything incorrectly. LMAO

-Korey
Old 09-28-2010, 12:18 AM
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

nobody else uses Enerland? never had any issue with their packs
Old 09-30-2010, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

I use Thunder Power but I came across these: 6000mah 60C C-MAX Extreme 7.4V Lipo Battery - Deans Plug. anyone use them?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gonzo416
I use Thunder Power but I came across these: 6000mah 60C C-MAX Extreme 7.4V Lipo Battery - Deans Plug. anyone use them?
I have a couple of em heading my way in the post. Will be a few months before anyone can give a report on how they perform long term since they're brand new. My 24C SMC packs have performed quite well so far and are almost a year old so hopefully these new ones work the same or better.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thunder power battery's are great!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
Lipo batteries are very temperature sensitive. A 25C or 40C pack has a greater chance of heating up more than a 50C+ pack. That rise in temperature lowers the internal resistance, giving more punch.

For stock, both the 25C and 40C heat up more naturally through the run than a 50C pack will do. Stock is also not overtapping the batteries either. Modified racing will just meltdown a lower C rating pack without question. They pull a lot of current and need a batteey pack with a higher C rating. That is why for all the Thunder Power team drivers, generally 40C is the choice for stock (25C still works awesome though), and 50... or the new 65C for Modified.

Hope that helps a little bit. I'm sure Jim will pop on here if I'm stating anything incorrectly. LMAO

-Korey
Electrical resistance increases as temperatures climb.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i use thunder power and they are awesome my reedy packs are awesome as well cant go wrong with either!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.